Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Replacing TV

We have the 27" Westinghouse LCD TV that came with the rig. It's never had a great picture even though we have satellite TV (SD, not HD). There are a couple of vertical lines in the picture that have always been there from the get go, and occasionally, vertical lines that scroll from the top to the bottom can be seen, even though they're very light.

We're thinking that when we're in Yuma next month, we'd go by the Best Buy and see what they had available in LCDs that would fit the space (we can't go much bigger...while we could go bit bigger in height, we can't go much bigger in width or else the TV would interfer with the electrical outlet at the side).

What we don't know is how the TV comes off the fixed arm to which it is attached...anyone know?

Also, although we have surround sound, it only works through the DVD player; i.e., only when we're watching a movie on DVD. It does not work when we're just watching TV. Is it possible to rewire everything so that when we're watching a TV program, the sound goes through all the speakers located around the ceiling?
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Linda,
I know it is possible to use the surround sound feature with DirecTV. We are doing so. One of my sons hooked it up using the DVD player. Now, I have to use the DirecTV remote to change everything except the sound. I have to use the (Curtis) DVD remote to adjust the sound. Nice to have sound coming through all 5 speakers. That said, I don't have a clue how to hook it up.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #3

We're needing to replace our 2008's 32-inch Westinghouse (developed posterization: picture turns cyan, magenta, etc.). If it were a Warhol instead of a Westinghouse, would probably fetch top dollar at NYC auction.

I understand the factory is switching to Panasonics. I had the same question about removing the "deceased", and dropped Jack a note asking about the removal process. I'll pass along the reply when I get it.
Westerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
What we don't know is how the TV comes off the fixed arm to which it is attached...anyone know?

How fixed is this. Does it swivel or tilt any at all? If so you should be able to use a Philips driver or a wrench to take out four screws on the back of the TV to remove it. With out seeing it I can't tell you exactly what you need to do.

I did have to remove all three of mine since LCD's cannot be store in below freezing temps. Took me all of 1/2 hour to do all three.

I would not buy a Philips TV as most everyone that has one here around Oakley is having problems with the power supply in the TV. $500.00+ bill to repair. All out of warrenty.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We have a new Excel (built in Oct.'09) and it has a Panasonic 32' LCD TV. It does allow the TV to play thru the surround sound speaker system. On ours you have to go to the "optical" sound mode on the DVD player to get the house speakers to work, and have to turn down the original TV speakers to prevent delayed audio (reverb sound). However if the program you are listing to isn't in stereo the house speakers aren't true stereo. Still sounds good though, especially if your trying to impress someone!!! I don't think this will help you, but maybe help someone looking at a new unit! I haven't taken the time to really check this thing out real good. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Be aware that some RV inverter/chargers generate interference of a type that creates TV picture problems (cheaply made modified sine-wave inverters can be pretty bad that way!) - also, other electronic devices in or near the RV can do the same. If possible, try shutting down EVERYTHING else in the RV, and operate the TV on a separate cord from house or garage - similarly, if possible, try any new TV you are interested in inside your RV to be sure it will function properly...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #7

LCD TVs Below Freezing

Hello All, I have heard this before but I don't think it is correct. I know that my cars Radio/Navigation system uses an LCD screen. My operators manual makes no mention, in fact I cannot see how removal could ever be accomplished since they are built in. Most of the Seat back DVD players also use the LCD screens. I know in really cold weather my Navigation screen is slow until it warms up a bit but I have had no other problems.
This may be a non issue.
Barrier
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I might suggest a Vizio from Costco - if you have a Costco card. We have had great luck with our Vizio in the rig. It has held up well in the RV...and as many of you know... the California highways are very unforgiving.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hello All, I have heard this before but I don't think it is correct. I know that my cars Radio/Navigation system uses an LCD screen. My operators manual makes no mention, in fact I cannot see how removal could ever be accomplished since they are built in. Most of the Seat back DVD players also use the LCD screens. I know in really cold weather my Navigation screen is slow until it warms up a bit but I have had no other problems.
This may be a non issue.
Barrier
Thanks for your input. I'm e-mailed Panasonic and they responed back that anything below 32* may cause damage. So that is the reason for me taking mine out, since I may not get out Kansas this winter.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
How fixed is this. Does it swivel or tilt any at all?
No, it does not move at all...if it did so, and swung away from the wall, taking it off the mount would be simple!

The other problem, once we figure out how to take the TV off the wall, is how to snake all the cables through the hole in the wall behind the TV down to the area where the satellite receiver, distribution box, and DVD player are. There's a hole in the side of the cabinet where all these items are located, but how do you get the cables from the hole behind the TV to the hole in the side of the cabinet?

Quote:
I did have to remove all three of mine since LCD's cannot be store in below freezing temps.

I don't think that's true. If the TV is *on,* freezing temperatures can hurt it, but not if there is no power to the TV. I guess we'll find out next spring, because we have an LCD in our camper that we left in the camper...it's in storage in Eastern Oregon where it gets below freezing. If it turns out that we have to replace it because of freezing, I wouldn't mind...it's an Audiovox and has a terrible picture except when viewed head on...it blacks out if viewed at an angle.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Be aware that some RV inverter/chargers generate interference of a type that creates TV picture problems (cheaply made modified sine-wave inverters can be pretty bad that way!)
We have a true sine wave inverter/charger. However, the picture is the same whether we're running off the inverter or off campground electric.
Quote:
also, other electronic devices in or near the RV can do the same. If possible, try shutting down EVERYTHING else in the RV, and operate the TV on a separate cord from house or garage
Other than the satellite receiver and one light, we don't have anything else running when we're watching TV. Sometimes we have the overhead fan running, but it has no effect on the picture one way or another. Same is true if we're running A/C...no effect on the picture.
Quote:
similarly, if possible, try any new TV you are interested in inside your RV to be sure it will function properly...
While that sounds like a great idea, I cannot imagine any store allowing us to unpack a TV, take it to the RV, and hook it up.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #12

OK, so the good news and the bad news (just heard from Ralph at PI): the good news is that the tv can be removed; the bad news is the "how". You will need something like a long flexible cable for a drill, a mirror, a screw bit and the flexibility of a circus contortionist. With the mirror, you can look up from below and see two screws, which hold the wall piece and the tv piece together. Using the flexible cable/bit, you can (haven't done it yet) remove the screws and then have the ability to lift the unit up and away. I was able to maneuver the mirror so I could see the screws (look like both Phillips and regular bits would work). It might be possible to use a long screwdriver (but would need a "skinny" handle due to the tight working space) to reach it too, but not sure how much torque would be needed (and available, given the constricted space).

Supposedly, you should be able to remove the piece from the back of the old tv and use it on the new one- not sure if these are really "universal" or not.

I'm going to let it "gel" for a bit- let me know if you have success!
Westerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
This may be a non issue.
Barrier

I agree 100%, the Dealers north of the Mason Dixon line do not remove the TVs from their inventory in the winter.

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
dropped Jack a note asking about the removal process. I'll pass along the reply when I get it.

Why when ever anyone in this forum has a problem do they call or write Jack (Smith Center)? I have a relationship with my dealer (RV Central) and I would just call them and ask how to remove my TV. They would walk me through it and it is so nice to have a dealers backing. Is this what happens when a coach is price shopped and one gets the best deal that one really doesn’t have a dealer to ask questions too?

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote