Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #15

Rhino Eco-Coat Roofs Offered by Peterson Industries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
When we install it on new construction, it will include the slide roofs. The cost is $3,750 for the Winslow. For existing units of any brand, type (i.e. motor home, tt, 5th wheel, livestock trailer, etc) the cost is $16/sft. This includes stripping off old rubber, removing a/c and replacing the a/c gasket, prepping roof and new Rhino Eco-coat. Doing the slide-outs would be a consideration for the owner. If they want them done, we would be happy to do them. Many people have slide toppers so they would see no need to do the slide-out.

We are excited to be the first manufacturer to offer this superior roof system on new construction. Now you will be able to order a Winslow with nearly as many options as what would come standard on the Limited Edition... with a maintenance free roof... and still enjoy significant savings.

Bryan

Bryan,
Why is the cost +$3750 when you can have it done for the same price as an EPDM Rubber Roof Replacement? It seems it should be a near no cost option. Also, the Rubber roof carries at least a 10 year warranty and the after market installers say that the Rhino Roof is a Lifetime warranty? Just asking?
Thanks in advance,
George
Titusville, FL
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rhino Eco-Coat Roofs Offered by Peterson Industries!

What inspections of the roof are needed, how often, and what is being looked for?

There is only a 2 Year product and application warranty! I was told my truck bed by Rhino was Lifetime. If a repair or touch up is needed during 1st two years and after, who can do it? I'm certainly not traveling back to Indiana just for that.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #17

After my experience with Rhino lining, I'd NEVER have a roof made by them on an RV. My trucks bed is oxidizing badly, can't ever get it clean, all I have to do it touch it and I get black on me. Think the streaks on the side of your RV is bad, I get the same on my white truck from my Rhino lining. Never again.
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
I've always had excellent wear out of a rubber roof and I probably take my rig in places where most people won't. Rubber roofs are also easy to repair. Of course I don't usually keep a unit over 7 yrs. Most of the damage to roofs I have seen have been done by limbs that either fell out of trees or were hanging too low to the area around the roof/sidewall. It kind of piles the roof up similar to pushing sand. In this instance there would be damage no matter what you use.
I have 3 questions:
1 How much was Russell paid to start this thread?
2 Difference $$ in rubber roof and this on new rig?
3 Is this a spray on application and if so what is the substrate surface?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
...How much was Russell paid to start this thread?
I'm still waiting on my honorarium....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
p3chief: to be honest, replacing a rubber roof with another rubber roof is among the highest profit repairs done by a dealership or manufacturer. It's not highly technical and anyone with a paint roller and scaffold can do rubber roof replacement. The facility and equipment costs alone for the Rhino make it cost prohibitive for most shops. We are offering the Rhino at a fair price. Certainly when you consider ZERO maintenance, increased insulating factor of R2, reflectivity from sun rays there is an added value for most people. If it's not for you, I understand. As for the warranty, that is set by Rhino. I am pressuring them to increase their warranty. They assure me that we should feel comfortable offering a lifetime warranty but that's like me saying to my dealer: Excel offers a 2 year warranty but if you would like to offer a lifetime warranty on our coach, please do. Do I think it will last the life of your coach? I absolutely do. According to Rhino, there has never been a single coach returned for defective product or application. That's why I'm trying to get Rhino to increase their warranty. Stay tuned...

Doggy Daddy: Being maintenance free, there is no inspection needed, once applied. Again, the lifetime warranty was being offered by the applicator, not Rhino. If it needs repaired (i.e. a hole gets knocked through it), there are rubberized spray applications that will bond to it. I don't have the name of those this morning but will provide that information later. Also, any eurothane caulk will bond to it. If you wish to add a satellite dish later, for example, the best eurothane caulk is windshield caulk. (P.S. Peterson Ind. is located in Kansas)

Mrjim: The formula for the roof is called "Eco-coat". It is more rubberized and is silver in color. It has UV protectant in it that the truck bed liner does not have so that it won't oxidize.

Texas: Russell, the check's in the mail (LOL). The Rhino is sprayed directly on the wood decking after it is prepped and primed.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I'm still waiting on my honorarium....
Honohuh?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #22

I just joined this forum but have been a member of others for years. Honestly, I remember when these guys started this. It was 8 or 9 years ago. They have done hundreds of roofs and offer a no leak guarantee. I would check them out if I was looking at a roof system.

RVRoof.com
marajade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
From the February 2013 Peterson Industries Newsletter:

Peterson Industries is proud to be the FIRST Original Equipment Manufacturer in the RV industry to offer Rhino Eco-Coat roof system on our Winslow and Wild Cargo model units.
This new system is virtually problem free and offers many benefits. Those benefits include:
  • Maintenance Free
  • 100% Seamless
  • Energy Efficiency - Reflects sun UV rays, reducing temperatures up to 20 degrees
  • Fire retardant system meets UL 790
  • Can be easily patched when new equipment is added to the roof
  • Not easily damaged like EPDM and TPO roofing material
  • 2 Year product and application warranty!
"This new roof system provides the same toughness you've grown to know with your Rhino truck bed linings," stated Bryan Tillett, President of Peterson Industries, "with the added benefit of UV protectant for greater reflectivity! We are EXTREMELY excited to be in partnership with Rhino Linings, Inc. to be the FIRST manufacturer ever to offer this superior roof system on an RV."
In addition to new units, Peterson is offering Rhino Eco-Coat roofs for your existing RV, regardless of brand or type. So if you have a motor home, 5th wheel, travel trailer, livestock trailer, cargo or utility trailer that is needing a new roof, give our Service Department a call at Peterson Industries, 800-368-3759. Let our trained professionals schedule an appointment today!
Russell, is this up and operating here in DFW? I am contemplating alternatives to a rubber roof replacement, but certainly don't want just a 2 year warranty when the rubber roof comes with a 10 year warranty.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #24

Confused here and after seeing a '14 Winslow 37 SDF parked next to ours last weekend, what is the difference?

He (Bob) had a silverish color Rhino Roof and I have the color matched Rhino Roof on our '14 37 SDF. Is his the ECO and mine not? Why does my material say Lifetime?

Help me out here Mr. Bryan--thanks ahead of time.
CAOK642HEAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Your color matched Rhino roof was one of the earlier ones. Actually, only the radius of your roof is painted to match. Shortly after we started, we discontinued painting the radius.

We started out offering a lifetime warranty. Although we believe strongly in the product, Rhino was unwilling to support us on any warranty over 1 year so we are covering the Rhino roof for 5 years but we decided not to stick our neck out for the life of the coach if we would be offered no support from our supplier.

The units that were purchased under the pretense they would have a lifetime warranty will be covered as such. The rest will be covered for 5 years to the original purchaser.

Bryan
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bryan, sounds like you are a better guy/company than your supplier.

You believe and are willing to guarantee it and that says a lot about the product.

Too bad you don't get the support you should from your supplier, shame on them.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Are you here in DFW area? I see you are in Kansas, I'm from SW Ks, Garden/Dodge/Lakin area, but live here in Grand Prairie near 6 Flags in Arlington.

Still waiting on the damage assessment from my carrier, but I'd be more than interested in having this done on my coach, the thought of no maintenance, no black streaks, and an 'almost' lifetime warranty is incredibly appealing, not to mention the quieter roof during rain and on and on....

What is a good email address/website for me to contact about my coach?

Thanks!

Kent
Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Kent,

There is actually an application center right there by you,

Best Value RV Sales & Service
11399 US Hwy 380 W
Krum, Texas 76249
PH. (940)387-2878

They do aftermarket applications.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There's a scorching comment about that dealer. I know there's always two sides, but they don't have a website it appears either.

Another issue I've read from several comments is that the Rhino roof actually makes the coach hotter because it retains heat instead of reflects it. I've seen several folks talk about that over the past few days while looking into this.

I am too scared to go out on a limb for this and will just have a new rubber roof installed. I know what issues I have with that at least.

Thanks for all the info though! It looks to be a great product and I loved the zero maintenance, but, like everything, its all in the artisan or skilled craftsman that installs it.