Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Roof line caulk lines - leaking

Wondering what others do?

I suppose like my home, recaulking windows is a standard work effort for older windows.

For my RV, how do you monitor the seams of you roofline?

I found that I had water damage and then inspected very closely and I guess that minor 'blemishes' in caulk lines are not so minor. I would have not thought that those blemishes would leak.

How often do you inspect? Have you done the work yourself?

Details please.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Add

Roof caulking

I would suggest Eternabond tape. Great stuff and it can be applied over the old caulk.
Add is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

I sprayed the caulking areas that looked a little sketchy with flex seal. It fills in very nicely and looks to seal very well. I've used it before and it stays flexible. I've even used it on the seams of my gutters at home and it does real well there to.
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Simple answer, inspect every time you are on the roof or at least yearly. Once you have done a few by yourself, it becomes much easier. I carry a tube of self leveling seam caulking with me on trips now and I have purchased some 2" wide tape (Eternabond) that will fix almost any problem as long as you can clean the surface. I will probably carry a small bottle of acetone to clean with. All this being said, I redid the bulk of the seams this year, so I should be good for a while.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
Wondering what others do?

I suppose like my home, recaulking windows is a standard work effort for older windows.

For my RV, how do you monitor the seams of you roofline?

I found that I had water damage and then inspected very closely and I guess that minor 'blemishes' in caulk lines are not so minor. I would have not thought that those blemishes would leak.

How often do you inspect? Have you done the work yourself?

Details please.

Would agree its hard to look at a section of caulk and determine if its sealing properly. If any doubt I will reseal that area. When my unit sit outside, I would inspect the roof line and other areas I considered more prone to leaks at least every time I washed the unit or 4-6 months. Lower areas, I had a habit of looking at areas as I walked by or worked in an area. Having the ladders and other tools, I did the work myself.

Here is a video on inspecting a roof that uses Dicor as a sealant. From having removed Dicor in the past for vent replacement, I've found that the slits or cracks don't always pass all the way through to the roof... but reseal to be safe.

Wasn't sure if you were referring to the windows, areas on the roof or the transition between the rubber of the roof and the sidewall with the metal trim?

Tags
leak, roof