Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rotted slide mount

I've had my 2001 excel a little less than a year. So far I have enjoyed it, but had an issue come up that is a bit of a problem. When trying to pull my main slide in, one of the two arms pulled the bolt out of the slide wall. it appears that it is rotten behind the black coating. Of course, it has rained since I found the problem, so I have not had a chance to dig into it. Looks like the weather is going to break, so hoping to start working on it in the next couple days.

I asked about it on the Facebook Excel group, and the general comment was replace the rotten wood. Does any one know of any pictures of what is behind the black cover, or any step by step guides on how to do this? Other than the bold pulling out, it looks find.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pedal View Post
I've had my 2001 excel a little less than a year. So far I have enjoyed it, but had an issue come up that is a bit of a problem. When trying to pull my main slide in, one of the two arms pulled the bolt out of the slide wall. it appears that it is rotten behind the black coating. Of course, it has rained since I found the problem, so I have not had a chance to dig into it. Looks like the weather is going to break, so hoping to start working on it in the next couple days.

I asked about it on the Facebook Excel group, and the general comment was replace the rotten wood. Does any one know of any pictures of what is behind the black cover, or any step by step guides on how to do this? Other than the bold pulling out, it looks find.

Thanks
Welcome! This is quite common on the old timers (pre 2004). They didn't use treated lumber on that slide wall and it rots and wa la you have your problem. Sorry I don't have the step by step procedure. I think Workshop did a bit on that several years ago under the "restoration 101" sticky at the top of this forum. Hope that helps at least a little. Make sure use exterior or treated lumber. rockin'

Here's a link to Workshop's write up. Check out number 22 and 23. Should help.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/rest...html#post79401
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

I had a 2001 Excel 33RLE. Rockin' is correct as to most mentions of bad skirt or slide floors were on the earlier models. When I purchased my unit in 2007 the dealer repaired the lower skirt on the aft of the slide, behind the wheel molding. Found out later that the forward skirt was also bad and repaired that myself.

Under the sticky above...Restoration 101 ..... I posted a series of threads about that slide. It begins on page 2, post # 22 but topic #17. Problems with the sofa/dinette slide. It covers several topics with the slide, bout 10 I guess but talks about the forward and aft skirt on that slide.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/rest...a-39109-2.html

Your model and photos of the area might help us see the area.

workhorse
Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

If I could figure out a quicker way to type and switch back and forth, this would happen left often.

Boy does this stuff seem like yesterday....

workhorse
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Atta boy work!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My Excel is a 2001 30 SKO.

Here is the issue. You can see the bottom bolt pulled out of the wall.

The rain here finally let up, so I am going to see try to pull the black cover off today to see what it looked like underneath. Hopefully I will be able to see how to remove the old board and replace it.
3pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

That looks like an interesting/unique setup.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
That's a classic slide wood rot failure.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

I would say that it might be the same as my front skirt rebuild. Post # 22. The rear had been rebuilt by the dealer so didn't get to see what the original framing looked like....they just used 2x_ and ran it solid. The front had more framing. The front bolt had pulled out as yours...at the time someone used a bolt, drilled from the outside, to attach the skirt to the bracket. I didn't know any different and thought it was suppose to be that way, at least until I knew better.

Would guess you will find a 1/8" ply outer panel with 2x_ framing behind it. It would be interesting to see pictures if you don't mind posting.

I believe I mentioned in one of the post about the repair on the slide that the bottom trim is a cause/effect in the wood rot on the skirts. With/without the wood being pressure treated...the design of the trim retains water/moisture that collects there. It is in the area behind the wheels and it appears, as my wasn't, not sealed to keep water etc from running down and collecting there.

Hope the damage isn't extensive?

workhorse
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
I would say that it might be the same as my front skirt rebuild. Post # 22. The rear had been rebuilt by the dealer so didn't get to see what the original framing looked like....they just used 2x_ and ran it solid. The front had more framing. The front bolt had pulled out as yours...at the time someone used a bolt, drilled from the outside, to attach the skirt to the bracket. I didn't know any different and thought it was suppose to be that way, at least until I knew better.

Would guess you will find a 1/8" ply outer panel with 2x_ framing behind it. It would be interesting to see pictures if you don't mind posting.

I believe I mentioned in one of the post about the repair on the slide that the bottom trim is a cause/effect in the wood rot on the skirts. With/without the wood being pressure treated...the design of the trim retains water/moisture that collects there. It is in the area behind the wheels and it appears, as my wasn't, not sealed to keep water etc from running down and collecting there.

Hope the damage isn't extensive?

workhorse

So far, I have only seen from underneath of the wall, and much of the board is rotted. I have not pulled the black fabric much, as the slide arm is in the way. Right now, the current obstacle is figuring out how to get it our of the way, yet also not have the slide fall on my head.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

Looks much the same in setup...here are three photos that might help.

This is the view of mine looking at the front skirt...the slide is attached to the slide's mechanical parts by the angle iron and the brackets. The two large bolts at each end are the main and the screws is what I call 'filler' attachments and keep the angle close to the slide and skirt. The bolt at the bottom I believe is use more as leverage on the bottom of the skirt to help 'direct' the bottom of the slide when the slide is in travel. With the bolt pulled out...the only thing affected is what the skirt is doing during travel and provides little/no support. My thoughts.

This photo was taken when I was repairing the slides side wall. Needed the jack to ensure the floor was level before securing all the fasteners. The photo has an illusion as being 'out of sorts' but I have a piece of 2x between the edge wall and frame that doesn't help visually.

You can jack up this corner, and might need to when repairing the skirt to ensure the floor and skirt are level during the repair as the angle iron support only support the center of the slide and the brackets do help support the ends.

At the bottom of the 4x4, I drill a hole large enough to slide over the jacks post to ensure it doesn't slide off.

This is the repair the selling dealer did to the aft skirt. All 2x? Don't know what it looked like original. Suspect 2x2 framing and 2x4 at the bottom?

With all necessary trim removed, you should be able to remove or pull up the fabric to get to the repair. There should be a thin ply and then the framing. I like using a multi purpose tool for this type of repair as far as cutting/ material.

If like my front skirt, you should be able to work behind and around the bracket. Might have to go as far forward as the wheel well area...question is how far up the damage is. Won't know that until the ply comes off. Can be done is sections or just removed 1/2 off to start. But can be easy to replace.

workhorse
Old 05-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Was able to start getting deeper into it last night. Today I hope to focus mostly on replacing he problem area. I pulled the inside wall. It looks like there is just a 2x2 across the bottom. It appears the rot is contained on the 2x2 and the bottom of the skin.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

Thanks for the photo update....didn't know what it would look like but close and different. Looks like the damage might not be as bad as expected. Hope the project continues to goes well.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Ok past that black material, which I'm assuming based on my experience looks like tarp material, on the very underside it would be sprayed with under belly coating, which is alot like flex seal.

First off past that membrane is just wood, pressure treated in my day but not all of it, next it a thick coating of wood glue, then the gel coat. Cut through the membrane tarp like stuff, Your gonna have to chisel out the glue on the other side between the gel coat and wood.

It's all held together with wood staples which you are going to have to break, but there are screws running around the wheel base front and back, usually up in the corners.

When I was there I screwed everything together so there would be more, but for your time frame should be where I said.

I don't know how you would got about cutting those staples, I personally would just bend the wood back and forth till they break.

Replace with pressure treated wood, reglue from front, restaple from back.
Excel Worker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide