Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #1

Rough Start to Smith Center Trip

After 6.5 years in our 2015 31IKE and 31k tow miles on my Hubometer weve got a long list of repairs and upgrades so we headed out to Smith Center yesterday. We planned on some friends and family visits in WV ,KY and TN on the way to Kansas.

The biggest issue is some outward bowing of the side wall above the curbside dinette slide causing that deep slide to tilt out at the top and making it difficult to retract. Though weve done semi-annual inspections and caulking of all seals some water infiltration has happened above the slide near the door. Curtis suspects behind the gutter is our problem spot. I was very worried about it, hoping it would hold out till we got it out there and last night I was actually counting the side retractions I have to do till SC. Should have gone with my premonition and not extended it fully. The outward lean was so bad that the stress on the hydraulic ram bracket snapped it this morning about 9:30 in a campsite near Cumberland, MD. Lots of fruitless calls to find mobile service till I made a last attempt to Ft Ashby Camper Sales in Ft Ashby, WV about 13 miles away. They really came through on a Saturday, got there in a couple hours, ran back to the shop for a welder, welded the bracket for a workable fix and with them pushing to assist we got it in. Made on the road by 3 and 175 miles down to our next stop in Frametown, WV by 6. Im extending it only about 18 till I get it to SC.

There are lots of other repairs and were doing plenty of upgrades like replacement solar panels/controller, a venting bathroom skylight and a new AC so we can get rid of the loud jet engine thats up there now. The list is so long that we are leaving the trailer out there for two weeks, flying home and resuming our trip after the two-week break.

We should be set for rolling with this FW for a few more years. Its a great layout, well built, in very good condition with many original custom features and lots of additions to fit our needs. With the cost of a replacement and our satisfaction with this unit sinking some bucks into it is our best bet. Well get to try out all our updates with a 10-week tour that will take us to NM, CO, WY, SD, ND, MN, WI, MI, IN & OH. Looking forward to seeing many spots weve never been to like Wind Cave NP, Badlands NP, T. Roosevelt NP, Lake Sakakawea SP, Voyagers NP, Isle Royal NP, Pictured Rocks NS and Sleeping Bear Dunes NRA. For tonight Im just feeling lucky we got back on the road and our pre-Smith Center plans arent up in smoke. Ill be toasting my good fortune with some Bourbon Trail tasting in a few days!
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Brad, we are feeling your pain. I think you have a great attitude and I commend you for it. So many of life's little adventures are simply a matter of attitude!!!

Please keep us informed on your progress. I think going to SC is the best deal. It's a long way for ya, but it's your best chance of getting things done right! Take care and be safe out there.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #3

Rockin,
Your advice is sound as usual. Travel problems are no fun but the way you handle things can make it better or worse. It is a long ride from SE PA to Kansas but for a structural repair like our slide along with many other repairs and upgrades Curtis and his crew are the best bet to do it right at a reasonable cost. RV service labor rates in a big metro area like our are sky high, +40% above Excel Service Center!

Brad
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote