Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #1

I plan to install a Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV HD dish on my Excel 33RKO. I spoke with Ed at Excel and we agreed that the satellite pre-wiring on my coach won't work due to a controller cable that is needed to autopoint the dish. There is quite a distance from where the satellite will be mounted to where I plan to run the cabling into the coach (a hidden spot above the entertainment center cabinet). Does anyone have any advice on the best method to affix coax cabling to the coach's roof?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #2

I plan to install a Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV HD dish on my Excel 33RKO. I spoke with Ed at Excel and we agreed that the satellite pre-wiring on my coach won't work due to a controller cable that is needed to autopoint the dish. There is quite a distance from where the satellite will be mounted to where I plan to run the cabling into the coach (a hidden spot above the entertainment center cabinet). Does anyone have any advice on the best method to affix coax cabling to the coach's roof?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 AM   #3

Not knowing the length of the coax or the direction in reference to the roof and possibly not wanting to attach a hard conduit to the roof, I would consider using Eternabond tape to provide a means of covering and holding down the coax and reducing the number of through the roof attachments. If more detail is needed, let me know....I can be long in explainin' at times, so trying to be 25 words or less.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Workshop:
Not knowing the length of the coax or the direction in reference to the roof and possibly not wanting to attach a hard conduit to the roof, I would consider using Eternabond tape to provide a means of covering and holding down the coax and reducing the number of through the roof attachments. If more detail is needed, let me know....I can be long in explainin' at times, so trying to be 25 words or less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great suggestion! The notion of drilling holes for cable straps every two feet or so caused me to lose sleep. I am not against using some PVC conduit as it would offer protection to the coax from the tape's bonding agents. Do you think that I could simply use the tape in the form of straps every two feet or so?

The cable run begins towards the right rear of the coach where the reinforced satellite dish/dome installation area is. The planned point of entry for the cables is on the left side of the coach close to the roof elevation change.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve R.:
I am not against using some PVC conduit as it would offer protection to the coax from the tape's bonding agents. Do you think that I could simply use the tape in the form of straps every two feet or so? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The disadvantage of using a PVC conduit would be the 'dam' it might create on the roof and the amount of debris it might collect between the conduit and roof where the tape isn't applied. It would give you a channel to remove the coax if necesary. If it's a single coax, you might try either the 'white' PVC used in irrigation or the 'yellow' CPVC used as house piping to get the smallest size the coax will slip through. Thinking 1/2" size, CPVC is smaller in size.

On though, you could strap the pvc down with the tape and use caulk between the roof and pvc to help prevent leaves and such from getting stuck there. I don't think the 'bonding agent' from the tape would damage the coax. Did your dish come with a through the roof fixture/plate? Would assume it did.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #6

I agree after reading about the tape that there should be no problem with the bonding agents and coax.

I have 4 cables to run so the damming effect would be considerable even if I don't use pvc. It suppose that it makes sense to run the cable along the coach's center line (except for routing around A/C) as much as possible. I really wish that there was a way to enter the coach closer to the dish and then fish the wires.

The Sat system came with a huge mounting plate to affix the dish and a small cable entry plate to seal up the point of entry.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #7

Steve when you mentioned having 4 cables, I'm still in the stone age here , are they all coax? If so might try laying them all out 'flat' to reduce the height and taping them together as you go so to speak using a duct tape or foil tape to keep them together and routed. This allows for the layout and positioning and if covering with the 'E' tape it will allow it to be covered easier.

When I was referring to the damming, I'm referring to the effects from debris rather than water. The less sharp bends the better and making it an easy flow might be best.

PS: this FOIL TAPE is simular to what I use on a lot of projects. It's strong and when rubbed out....it lays really flat.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #8

There are 3 coax cables (dvr1, dvr2, bedroom) and one sat controller cable that is not coax but is the same dimensionally. Your suggestion about laying the wires flat and first using elec or duct tape to position makes a ton of sense. Thanks so much for all of the great advice!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #9

Here might be an option or thought. Double taped to the roof or 'E' taped. Believe they can be bend slightly or heated to help to make some bends. Food for thought. Might be bulkier in some sense but give a way to route coax and keep lower and simpler, if there is one.

POWERBACKER RUBBER
CORD COVER
FLOOR CORD COVERS
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
We have an RSE and the sat is located on the rear curbside area and the cable runs forward to the kitchen cabinet. They ran the cable on top of the roof and covered it with Ebond tape. It is a clean install and has only been up there a year so I am not sure if the bonding agents would eat through the cable.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #11

Thanks Larry! It looks like the consensus is that Ebond is the way to go. Did they cover the coax completely with the tape or use the tape as straps?

Steve
Old 10-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I have run the cables for the cb and solar panel down the vent for the washing machine closet. Then put a t in the line and brought the cables out in the storage area and siliconed the heck out of the t exit. From there who knows, but at least I did not have to put a hole in the roof or try and seal it up. I dont use the washer anyway so there will be no water going down the vent. Good luck
brassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve R.:
Thanks Larry! It looks like the consensus is that Ebond is the way to go. Did they cover the coax completely with the tape or use the tape as straps?

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just ran tape the whole way from the Sat to the hole.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #14

I mounted the Winegard Trav'ler satellite yesterday and in the process found a better way to run the coax from the rear of the coach to the middle where the entertainment center is located. As stated earlier, the sat pre-wiring alone would not work for me because I need one more coax run plus the sat controller cable to go to the entertainment center. I ended up using the pre-wire location and the coax that Excel installed and then from the same hole located next to the sat I ran my new coax and controller cable from that location through the AC plenum to the middle of the coach. From there it was easy to fish the new cables through the ceiling into the entertainment center cabinet. The sat is up and running. Also with this setup, the bedroom and outside satellite hookups still work as designed. The e-bond tape worked great but it was only for two feet instead of about 20.