Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
RV Tips & Tricks - Snowbird Tips You NEED To Know...

Snowbird Tips You NEED To Know

Are you a snowbird traveling south for the winter? Tips, advice and information for snowbird retirees who plan to travel to warmer destinations during the winter months. For those that do not know what a snowbird is, it is commonly defined as a northerner who moves to a warmer southern state in the winter.
This topic is particularly interesting to me. My partner at Excel, Vaughn Peterson and his wife Duana spent nearly 30 years making the trek from Kansas to South Texas for the winter. They echoed many of tips you're going to read in this article, especially about closing up your northern home, and how to make the process of living in another state part-time easier.
We Hope You Find These Tips Useful

• Arrange for a mail hold, or mail forwarding, depending on how long you will be away. The USPS will also gather up your mail and send it on to you for a fee when you will be gone an extended period of time. Financial documents such as bank statements, credit card statements, etc cannot be forwarded. Make arrangements with your financial institution to add a seasonal address.)

• Have as many bill pays online as possible. Utilities, credit cards, rent, mortgage, whatever you have that you can pay online, do so. This way, if mail goes astray you are still getting an email alert an account is due, and you can pay from your checking account online.

• Cancel your newspaper delivery. Arrange a start and stop date. If you want to keep up on local news, see if your local newspaper has an electronic edition.

• Cancel your trash service if necessary.

• Arrange for a part time caretaker for your property. Friend, relative, or paid service, someone needs to check on your house weekly or every other week. Leave a phone number with a neighbor for emergency purposes (assuming you have a cordial relationship with a neighbor). Make sure they go through the whole house. If someone isn’t there every day they won’t catch everything that could happen in your house, but footprints in the snow, even on occasion, will help deter a thief. You can also check with your local police department if they have a “vacation check program”, and if so, what it entails.

• Get a plow service. Make certain they shovel the walkways too. This not only will help you avoid a ticket in many municipalities, but it also doesn’t scream “no one is home!” to a would be robber.

• Put your telephone, cable and/or internet on vacation hold. Not all companies offer this service, so call your local utilities and ask. You will pay a monthly fee that is significantly less than if you were paying for regular service.

• Empty the refrigerator. Use this as an opportunity to clean out the fridge. It is funny how those condiments you opened “last week” were actually opened up months or years ago, and are now expired. If you are unplugging your refrigerator, and it is a refrigerator/freezer unit, make certain you have emptied the freezer too. Note: if you DO unplug the unit(s), you will need to leave the door open to prevent mold and foul odors.

• Empty your dishwasher. Leave the door open. This prevents mold and foul odors.

• Open up the washing machine lid. If you have a fuel efficient machine that has an outside detergent load, open that too. This will prevent mold as well as foul odors.

• Take out ALL the trash. You don’t want anything left in the house to stink.

• Shut off the water in your northern home. Open all the drains to let the water flow out, and leave open the lowest drain. Yes, I understand you will still have the heat on low, but believe me, there are enough stories of pipes bursting that it just isn’t worth keeping the water on and undrained while you are away for an extended period of time. This will also help prevent water from sitting in pipes and stinking up the place if you are gone for a long time.* Just shut off the water and drain the pipes.

• Drain the Hot Water Heater.* Not only does it cut down on the gas bill,*you won't*have to worry about the hot water tank splitting.*Be sure*to shut off the pilot since there is no water to heat. Make sure you read the directions for your hot water tank.*If your*tank is electric,*you will*need to unplug that one!

• Close the fireplace flue. This way heat doesn’t escape, and you won’t have any “friends” finding their way down the vent.

• Set the heat to low. Like low-low. The last thing you want to do is pay to heat the house to 72° when you aren’t home. These days, you can get set up with a phone or the internet so you can track your house settings (with the correct thermostat).*This will make it easy*to make certain it no warmer than 60° in your house.

• Store your valuables in a safe. While you probably have things you regularly store in a fire-proof safe, you may want to add any jewelry you won’t be taking down south, important documents, guns, etc. “Just in case” there is a fire or burglary while you are gone.

• If you have a landline turn off the ringer. That way, the neighbors (and would-be thieves) won’t hear the phone ringing without anyone picking up. If you have an answering machine, don’t change to an away message. Leave your regular message and retrieve new messages remotely.

• Unplug unnecessary lights and appliances. Even when running, plugged in fixtures can draw electricity. No sense paying for something no one uses.

• Leave a few lights on inside your house. Set timers, and have different settings for different days of the week.

• Make sure all your windows are locked. Adjust your curtains so that some of the lights you have going on will be seen from outside. Total darkness isn’t something you want.

• Set the house alarm.*If you*have an alarm system at your house, set it, and leave*a relative or local friend*as a contact with the alarm company. We had a scare once when the front door alarm triggered (for no apparent reason) while we were in Vegas over New Year’s. My brother met the police at the house, and the police walked through to make certain no one was in the house and nothing had been stolen or trashed.

• Set motion detectors if separate from your alarm system. We have both alarm and independent motion detectors, so we set ’em all!

• Lock your gate if you have one to the backyard to deter trespassers.

• You may want to consider having a doctor down south and up north. Set up your Doctor*down south with contact numbers in case you or your spouse have an emergency.* Also consider having a Dentist in both locations.

• Make sure your prescriptions are with a pharmacy that is easily accessible in both states.* Many scripts will let you fill a 90 day supply, so if you're*only going for a month or so, you can bring them from home. *However once you are staying more than 90 days, this becomes more difficult to do. There are Walgreens and CVS stores in most States. Same goes for WalMart, Target, and mail order drugs.

• Have a vet for your pets in both states. Unless, of course, you don't have a pet... Then disregard.*

• If you have houseplants plants give them away if you plan on being gone for months on end, or make certain your caretaker is taking care of the foliage too.

Recognize that whatever you do to prevent mishaps, unless you have a 24/7 caretaker for your home while you are away, you may yet come back home to an unfortunate surprise. If that happens, take a deep breath, look at each other, and just say "Welcome Home!"
These are just some friendly tips based on the experience of many Snowbirders I've had the privilege of knowing who have shared their stories and ideas.* If you have more tips, please leave a comment below this article.

Bryan Tillett
BTRVInnovations.com
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Bryan, this serves for a great check sheet for folks leaving their S&B for the winter. Then there should be an opposite type of check sheet for your home that sits in super hot summer climate, while the owners slip off to cooler places for a few months. Not as many things to deal with, but still important. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Hey rockin' or drfife would you elaborate a little more on full timing? After reading the full timing forum I'm a little nervous about considering the idea. There's one thread where they had a four year journal and accounting what was spent including dry camping to make sure they stayed on budget.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
NH, Your statement is very broad and not real focused. I'll simply say that our 12 years of FTing has shown that we spent just about the same as we did in the S&B. Our goal was $59,500 a year to live while FTing. We were always over that, but our second year was just a little bit over that. A couple of years ago we spent over $100K. Go figure. We have friends that claim that they can live on $40K a year. Don't know how.....but they are very frugal. I do coupons, watch ads for sales like crazy, but still seem to go over budget. I even buy cheap wine!!!

Doc is not FT just yet, but we'll see what he has to say.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
That's a lot of wine Rockin. $40,500+. No wonder your so dang crazy
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Damn still, you sure are smart.....you done figured me out!!! Truth be known though, I've almost quit the wine and any other alcohol. At this age, it's kinda taken it toll on my belly. Waking up in the AM and knowin' that's the best I'm gonna feel all day is quite hard to take!!! But I push on anyway. ;o)
Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I was a little vague on purpose. I didn't want to limit the question to one area in case there are (and I'm sure there is) situations I haven't thought about.
I guess I need to get out of the vacation mentality and work into the snowbird train of thought. I was reading one couple had a 2-2-2 rule, stop by 2pm, no more than 200 mile (hell my truck is just getting warmed up by then) and stay two days.
I see what you mean about frugal, one thread said they could keep their C/G fees down to $450 a month if they worked at it.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I don't know about the 2-2-2 ordeal, but may work from some. We stop early and rarely travel over 250 miles. We once traveled 342 miles by accident. And NEVER again. We traded off drivers every 1-1/2 hrs. but were exhausted after that day. Only set up at dark twice and that was due to a mechanical delay. I really disagree with the 2 day stay. Especially in a fifth wheel, it too much set up and teardown. If you are exploring the area around, you probably want to stay 2 weeks. On occasion when driving across the US from one point to another...you may want to stop for 2 days to rest up at bit. For overnight we get a pull thru, stay hooked up and just plug in, cable TV and water at most. Sure makes it easy to pull out in the morning. Just sayin' what works for us. rockin'
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #9

Excellant instructions. Wish we had followed all of them. We didn't turn off the water and a hose burst, outside fortunately. Sprayed water everywhere and ice coated everything. House watcher discovered it and turned off the spigot but couldn't locate the water shutoff valve. All issues are outside, thankfully. Next year we'll be better students.

Joe
jpjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I agree, most of what Bryan talked about I have a plan for except the Water, Medical, and Dental. Would you wait and get references from people in the area for a doctor?
That works if your going to stay in one location, but you want to move around does Urgent Care become your doctor?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
NH,
We usually go by recommendations of locals on Dr. and dentist. I haven't had to use Urgent Care, but my bride has. Just make sure they take your medical insurance. We've also had some emergency medical situations. We got to the emergency room and I asked if they took Blue Cross and they said yes. When the bills came rolling in, the doctors weren't paid. Long story short, the hospital itself allowed BCBS coverage......but the Emergency room dr. didn't. Not a nice situation to be in. So make sure you ask all the right questions when checking in.

I believe the weakest part of FTing is having to do doctoring in different places. And finding decent healthcare in small communities is challenging. Just my opinion. Try to set up your regular annual checkups with the same doctors/dentist if you can. And when you can't, rely on locals for the others. It's not always perfect, but better than nothing.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
We got to the emergency room and I asked if they took Blue Cross and they said yes. When the bills came rolling in, the doctors weren't paid. Long story short, the hospital itself allowed BCBS coverage......but the Emergency room dr. didn't. Not a nice situation to be in. So make sure you ask all the right questions when checking in.

I believe the weakest part of FTing is having to do doctoring in different places. And finding decent healthcare in small communities is challenging. Just my opinion. Try to set up your regular annual checkups with the same doctors/dentist if you can. And when you can't, rely on locals for the others. It's not always perfect, but better than nothing.
In a situation where you do not have the option to select a doctor or supporting provider in your network, such as surgery or emergency room visit, talk with your insurance. Tell them you did not have a choice of providers. Our insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of TX. In all my surgeries, there was at least one provider that was out-of-network. The insurance company negotiated a lower price with the provider and usually the insurance paid the in-network amount, leaving me with a small coinsurance charge.

Agree with Rockin' about help from locals. Also, before you take off for parts unknown, do your research about medical care, both emergency and preventive. Make a list of local hospitals and physicians. Trying to find a hospital in all the chaos of an emergency will be difficult and nerve wrecking. Last year we had a doggy emergency with Miss Zoey. She ate something off the ground and made her very sick. Before our trip we talked with and set up a relationship with a local vet in the area. He was great and Missy Zoey recovered quickly. Nothing is better than preparation to handle an emergency.

Also, research how to contact emergency services. Most RV parks will include this info with the rental paperwork. In Creede, Co. there is no 911 service. You call the Sheriff's Dept. They dispatch the emergency services.

As Rockin' would say, "Just Sayin'".
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Carl, you shared some nice bits of info. A lot of us just take this stuff for granted. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Trying to find a hospital in all the chaos of an emergency will be difficult and nerve wrecking.
Don't you just love spell-checker. That should have been nerve racking or wracking.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote