Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Rv to South America

We have met a 74 year old lady form Graz, Austria. She shipped her small HYMAR, class B over here and is touring Canada and the USA. Thus far she has put on over 44000 miles. In a few months, she wants to go south to Mexico, Central America and on south into South America. We have advised her this is a rather risky endeavor by herself. She is one gutsy lady to have come this far.

We have suggested an RV caravan or at least find other rvers who are going that way. I would appreciate any direction, advice on what direction to point her in finding others who might be going to South America. Or names of companies that might offer an RV trip to South America. I have found one but she does not want to be regimented to specific times and routes.

Thank you
Fmcnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Very dangerous. She could easily get RV'jacked and be left for dead anywhere. You can't even trust the police officers.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
We have advised her this is a rather risky endeavor by herself. She is one gutsy lady to have come this far.
Quote:
Very dangerous. She could easily get RV'jacked and be left for dead anywhere. You can't even trust the police officers.
Oh for heavens sake. There is more to life than sitting in your rocking chair on the back porch waiting to die.

and this was the caption to the photo
Quote:
We stayed at a free parking place and again, caught up with a few of our new-found friends. This lady is Italian, 72 years young and a very experienced solo traveller. All over Africa and now in S America. Diff-locks front and rear and well used diff locks at that, and a high lift jack strapped to the front bumper mean she doesn't often get stopped by terrain
I should add, she was about 4'9" in high heels.

Give her my contact details and I will give her some encouragement.

BTW Apparently most people die in a bed, so it is a VERY dangerous place.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Well said Tony Lee. We are all in this together, nobody comes out alive.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

I've done some crazy things around the world in my times, but traveling through Central America is not one I want to experience alone and 70 something.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

She has done 44,000 miles so far and that is more than most motorhomers have done.

I'd say she has done her research very thoroughly and come to the conclusion that if there was so much danger to tourists generally and RVers in particular, then there would be plenty of publicity about it and normal sensible people would be discouraged from going there. Only have to look at the comments on forums when anyone mentions going to Mexico to realise that there are two points of view about travel outside of one's comfort zone - the opinion of those who have done it and come to no harm and the one from those who haven't been there recently if ever.

We've met an 85yo cycling through the middle of Iceland who had cycled 165,000 miles through most countries in the world, a couple 95 and 92 motorhoming in Morocco, and of course hundreds of wrinklies, couples and solos, like ourselves who have been doing this for years without coming to any harm and who are having a great time. Just make sure that when you leave home with a bit of newly-found bravado and enthusiasm, you sharpen up your common-sense and remember to take it with you.

BTW what worries me more than anything is walking in to a roadside diner (which we do very rarely anyway) in AnyTown USA and seeing a couple of locals enjoying their burgers and fries with big guns strapped around their waist and not a grizzly to be seen anywhere. Given that represents just a small proportion and the rest are carrying concealed weapons, it sure reminds me which countries to be careful in.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

If I remember correctly, there is an area somewhere in Central America called the Darien Gap where there are no roads and vehicles must be shipped past by water. Other than that, suggest she do some internet searches for others who have done the trip and wrote blogs / articles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmcnair View Post
..., she wants to go south to Mexico, Central America and on south into South America.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
If I remember correctly, there is an area somewhere in Central America called the Darien Gap where there are no roads and vehicles must be shipped past by water. Other than that, suggest she do some internet searches for others who have done the trip and wrote blogs / articles, etc.

Yes George, you need chest-high waders or a hovercraft to cross that part. Getting around the gap is a pretty expensive business and I know that any vehicle that won't fit into a container will cost big dollars. Around $4000 for the previous owners of our F350 with Bigfoot camper on the back. Plus airfares and hotel bills when things get delayed.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Tony, you might try contacting these folks. They do caravans to Mexico and May be able to provide some insight on SA. We have dealt with David Baxley and found him to be a very good person to deal with.

Meet Our Trek Masters
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
She has done 44,000 miles so far and that is more than most motorhomers have done.

I'd say she has done her research very thoroughly and come to the conclusion that if there was so much danger to tourists generally and RVers in particular, then there would be plenty of publicity about it and normal sensible people would be discouraged from going there. Only have to look at the comments on forums when anyone mentions going to Mexico to realise that there are two points of view about travel outside of one's comfort zone - the opinion of those who have done it and come to no harm and the one from those who haven't been there recently if ever.

We've met an 85yo cycling through the middle of Iceland who had cycled 165,000 miles through most countries in the world, a couple 95 and 92 motorhoming in Morocco, and of course hundreds of wrinklies, couples and solos, like ourselves who have been doing this for years without coming to any harm and who are having a great time. Just make sure that when you leave home with a bit of newly-found bravado and enthusiasm, you sharpen up your common-sense and remember to take it with you.

BTW what worries me more than anything is walking in to a roadside diner (which we do very rarely anyway) in AnyTown USA and seeing a couple of locals enjoying their burgers and fries with big guns strapped around their waist and not a grizzly to be seen anywhere. Given that represents just a small proportion and the rest are carrying concealed weapons, it sure reminds me which countries to be careful in.
Love it!! If my DW and I hadn't done the things or gone to the places that people have advised us were too dangerous, we would have certainly missed out on tons of wonderful experiences.
I always chuckle to myself when people talk about not staying in this RV park or that because it looked to run down--or there so many permanent residents--or it was in what looked like a tough part of town--or whatever it may be.
We have FTed for 7 years, and stayed in some places along the way that I'm sure others would have just driven through. And met some great people along the way-singles and family's living in their beat up trailer, because that's all they had and they were trying to get by. And we have never once had a problem.
Then one time a couple of years ago, traveling up the west coast, we decided to splurge and spend a week in a very nice, and very pricey, RV park right on the cliffs overlooking the ocean in San Francisco. And guess where the "bad guys" broke into our rig while we were at dinner, and stole a few thousand dollars worth of jewelry and electronics. We were one of two rigs that got hit that night in the park.
Stuff happens.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #11

Can anyone make out her web site on the side of her cab? I'd love to follow her travels!
Thanks,
Sheila
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
There's also a really big ditch somewhere around Panama..
Just sayin'
Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I always chuckle to myself when people talk about not staying in this RV park or that because it looked to run down--or there so many permanent residents--or it was in what looked like a tough part of town--or whatever it may be.
A few times i have started my journeys late in the day or even as late as 6PM and I usually just drive I know I should get off the road and I just find a spot off the road where no one will object to my parking.
Most times I have woken up to find I was in some really nice places. Once when I was looking for place to park and crash for the night all of a sudden I could smell a fed lot along I-40 I grabbed a Mt-Dew to stay awake and went anther 15 miles to clean air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedegis View Post
Can anyone make out her web site on the side of her cab? I'd love to follow her travels!
Thanks,
Sheila
I zoomed in a bunch and just can't read it.

I agree Beds and hospital beds are especially bad for long term health.

Another thing I had a very good friend drop dead of a heart attack at age 46 last week. It was such a complete shock to everyone who knew him.
I admit he was the type who didn't go to a Dr. when he should have, 20 years ago he learned the hard way to not drink and drive(he got caught) He still drank but didn't mix driving with it after that.
You just never now how long you have on this big ball.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
A few times i have started my journeys late in the day or even as late as 6PM and I usually just drive I know I should get off the road and I just find a spot off the road where no one will object to my parking.
Most times I have woken up to find I was in some really nice places. Once when I was looking for place to park and crash for the night all of a sudden I could smell a fed lot along I-40 I grabbed a Mt-Dew to stay awake and went anther 15 miles to clean air.

I zoomed in a bunch and just can't read it.

I agree Beds and hospital beds are especially bad for long term health.

Another thing I had a very good friend drop dead of a heart attack at age 46 last week. It was such a complete shock to everyone who knew him.
I admit he was the type who didn't go to a Dr. when he should have, 20 years ago he learned the hard way to not drink and drive(he got caught) He still drank but didn't mix driving with it after that.
You just never now how long you have on this big ball.
Thank you for trying!!
Sheila Wedegis
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote