Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
We have two scare lights on our rig...one on each side.

The scare light on the street side can only be turned on by opening the door that accesses the outside shower and pull handles to drain tanks. Has anyone had this light wired so that it can be turned on from inside?

The scare light on the curb side is way too bright to leave on when we leave and won't come back until after dark (a rare occasion), at least when we're in an RV park with people parked next to us. Because of its size, I assume that it would be difficult to replace it with a "regular" outside light like those found on many RVs, so has anyone devised a cover for it that would direct the light downward?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have two scare lights on our rig...one on each side.

The scare light on the street side can only be turned on by opening the door that accesses the outside shower and pull handles to drain tanks. Has anyone had this light wired so that it can be turned on from inside?

The scare light on the curb side is way too bright to leave on when we leave and won't come back until after dark (a rare occasion), at least when we're in an RV park with people parked next to us. Because of its size, I assume that it would be difficult to replace it with a "regular" outside light like those found on many RVs, so has anyone devised a cover for it that would direct the light downward?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Linda,

Have you tried using the light next to your pin box. That's what I sometimes use.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Instead of the scare light on the curb side? No, we hadn't even thought about that...keep forgetting that it's there. That, along with the lights under the steps, would probably do it. Thanks, Highturn!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We use the light at the steps. I never thought about the light at the pin box thanks Bob.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The scare light on the curb side is way too bright to leave on when we leave and won't come back until after dark (a rare occasion), at least when we're in an RV park with people parked next to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Linda,

We replaced the bulbs in our 'scare lights' with lower wattage bulbs ... they're not nearly as scary, but we can comfortably leave them on when we plan to return late.

Bob
Bob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob, we haven't ever taken the cover off to see what wattage bulb is up there (hadn't even thought of doing so). What wattage bulb did you replace it with?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What wattage bulb did you replace it with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was afraid you were going to ask ... I don't recall ... getting old.

I took the cover off, removed the bulb and took it down to a hardware store to find a replacement of the same physical size with about 1/2 the wattage. Works great.

Probably wouldn't have done it if one of the bulbs hadn't blown ... needed to do something, so solved two problems at once.

Bob
Bob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Something you can also do is replace the lens with a amble lens. Go to a automotive store and purchase a lens for the turn signals on a bus (school). This will change the light from a bright to a low dim.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Linda,
I to would like to be able to turn this light on from inside the coach and I see lots of replies on how to make the light dimmer but nothing on a switch inside of coach. Does anyone have any ideas on how it could be switched on&off from inside coach instead of just from the utility center?
Thanks

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Someone PM'd me this link: Wireless 12 Volt DC Remote Switch. It's meant for boats, but I don't see why it couldn't be used in an RV.

What do y'all think?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Linda,

There are probably less expensive ways to install a parralel switch, but the ability to turn the lights on with a remote from 75 yards might come in very handy!!

With the exception that one of them is more watertite than the other, boat and rv systems are very much the same. I like to go to boat shows (sales) just to look at 12 volt ideas.

I guess boat owners are considered to have more "disposable income" than RV owners, because, for example, the first 12DC LCD (ASA/Jensen) television was "designed" for boat use, not for RV's (they "appeared" in RV's a year later)

I like the idea for the remote, but I like toys!! I have a remote start for my F550, and play with it all the time! If I know I will be parking in the sun for the day, I set the A/C in the truck to "full blast" and use the remote start to cool down the truck before getting in!

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure someone with some electrical knowledge could wire the street side scare light so that it can be turned on inside. Unfortunately, that's not us...this sounded like something that even WE might be able to install!

From the description on the website, it sounds as though the receiver is connected at the switch; i.e., inside the utility center where the rocker switch that turns the light on and off is. I haven't been outside yet to take a look, but assume there must be some way of accessing the wiring to the switch so this little gaget can be installed...?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #14

Linda,
I to like the remote idea, please update this post on it as you learn more.
Thanks.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote