Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Should I give Her a name !

You all have been listening to me talk about the Beast for the past four years....so I don't need a name for Her. As there hasn't been many photos taken of her....here is what she look like.

What I might need a name for is this...a 2000, 29ft Alpenlite Valhalla. Had been looking at the unit for several weeks and decided to buy it.

I have been looking at downsizing as far back as Jan 2010, then as now the Alpenlite was on my short short list of units. I wanted to stay in the 29-31 ft range with the Valhalla and Hillcrest models. I searched the web for 6-8 months with almost all results showing west of the Mississippi. Being in Florida, that would be a far drive to look at a unit. I once did a 820 mile round trip to look at a Hillcrest that the dealer said was a 'nice unit'. Well from 50' I could tell it wasn't what I was looking for......somewhere along the line we stopped looking, continued to upgrade and enjoy the Beast and updated the Tow V.

Two years after the initial search, I was on craigs list looking for a 'old retro' trailer or Airstream, 18-24 ft, to buy and tinker with. As odd as life can be at times I came across a listing for a 29ft Alpenlite. It was on a dealer's lot less than 10 miles from home and the orginal owner lives less than 20. I reviewed the listing and drove to the dealer to looked at the unit.

It's a ONE owner, and other then having set on several dealer lots for six months, is in very good shape. Its very clean inside and looks hardly used for it's age. The outside will need a good cleaning, but working on those 'test spots, it will 'shine up' almost like new.

Prior to the Beast we owned a 29 ft Newmar Kountry Star that we enjoyed for many years. It had a 'single' sofa slide and we decided to upgrade to a 29-31 ft with sofa/dinnette and bed slide. Not finding what we wanted....the dealer with the Excel made us a deal we couldn't refuse and we towed her home.

Four years later we were faced with another decision...and decided to downsize to the Valhalla. Now the fun begins transferring personal items from the Beast to the 'new to us'.

With the Valhalla under the cover, we need to clean the inside that one would do to a used unit.....walls, drawers, carpet, etc....before transferring our items in. Until then we are packing them up and storing them into the workshop so we can get the Beast cleaned and ready to sell on our own.

I remember when we unloaded the Kountry Star, I commented...where did all this stuff come from. I've already said that just removing item for the storage bays.

As I said then....all this stuff isn't going in the next unit.

It's been a wild ride the past several years, still a lot to do. I will be updating the '101' to include a new index before I made the last post there.

Already have a short list of items for the Valhalla...like tires, brake/bearing, upgrading the suspension to EZ Flex and a longer list of things like new roof vents, hardware changes, a new converter, inverter, 50 amp power, entertainment. You get the idea. Start all over again.

workhorse
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
You all have been listening to me talk about the Beast for the past four years....so I don't need a name for Her. As there hasn't been many photos taken of her....here is what she look like.

What I might need a name for is this...a 2000, 29ft Alpenlite Valhalla. Had been looking at the unit for several weeks and decided to buy it.

I have been looking at downsizing as far back as Jan 2010, then as now the Alpenlite was on my short short list of units. I wanted to stay in the 29-31 ft range with the Valhalla and Hillcrest models. I searched the web for 6-8 months with almost all results showing west of the Mississippi. Being in Florida, that would be a far drive to look at a unit. I once did a 820 mile round trip to look at a Hillcrest that the dealer said was a 'nice unit'. Well from 50' I could tell it wasn't what I was looking for......somewhere along the line we stopped looking, continued to upgrade and enjoy the Beast and updated the Tow V.

Two years after the initial search, I was on craigs list looking for a 'old retro' trailer or Airstream, 18-24 ft, to buy and tinker with. As odd as life can be at times I came across a listing for a 29ft Alpenlite. It was on a dealer's lot less than 10 miles from home and the orginal owner lives less than 20. I reviewed the listing and drove to the dealer to looked at the unit.

It's a ONE owner, and other then having set on several dealer lots for six months, is in very good shape. Its very clean inside and looks hardly used for it's age. The outside will need a good cleaning, but working on those 'test spots, it will 'shine up' almost like new.

Prior to the Beast we owned a 29 ft Newmar Kountry Star that we enjoyed for many years. It had a 'single' sofa slide and we decided to upgrade to a 29-31 ft with sofa/dinnette and bed slide. Not finding what we wanted....the dealer with the Excel made us a deal we couldn't refuse and we towed her home.

Four years later we were faced with another decision...and decided to downsize to the Valhalla. Now the fun begins transferring personal items from the Beast to the 'new to us'.

With the Valhalla under the cover, we need to clean the inside that one would do to a used unit.....walls, drawers, carpet, etc....before transferring our items in. Until then we are packing them up and storing them into the workshop so we can get the Beast cleaned and ready to sell on our own.

I remember when we unloaded the Kountry Star, I commented...where did all this stuff come from. I've already said that just removing item for the storage bays.

As I said then....all this stuff isn't going in the next unit.

It's been a wild ride the past several years, still a lot to do. I will be updating the '101' to include a new index before I made the last post there.

Already have a short list of items for the Valhalla...like tires, brake/bearing, upgrading the suspension to EZ Flex and a longer list of things like new roof vents, hardware changes, a new converter, inverter, 50 amp power, entertainment. You get the idea. Start all over again.

workhorse
I'm so proud of keeping this a secret for a week or so, as I wasn't sure I had the willpower. Congrats on the new Alpenlite, work!!! You gotta give her a name! I'll sleep on it and maybe make some suggestions.

Mean while, the Beast hopefully will go to new owners who will appreciate that unit and all that you done to update!!!

I know the new unit will be a great rig as I've seen many pix and it looks like she's has had a good home! Many years of enjoyment.....and don't you dare leave our Excel forum....ya hear? You are the best....buddy! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
The obvious name is Val.

If it was a male, call it Al.

Just don't call me late for dinner.

Congrats on your new project!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
SOB= Some other Brand. I hate to see your vast knowledge and skills leave us on the Excel forum.

Congrats on your new projects.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
SOB= Some other Brand. I hate to see your vast knowledge and skills leave us on the Excel forum.

Congrats on your new projects.
Thanks still, I have personally begged work not to leave us here in an email. I think he knows how much fun we have here and he'll be back checking up on us!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Congratulations Chris, she is a "Beauty" and maybe that should be her name, then you will have "Beauty and the Beast"....at least for now, and the Beast can go to Valhalla with Great Pride!

Sidney

www.aworldtraveler.com
sidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
The obvious name is Val.

Sorry for such a delay on my choice of a new name...but between life, work and dealing with two 5th wheels....one to get ready to use and the other to find a new home....things have been busy.

I think Val is a good name for her. Sorry Sidney but don't think I could live the Beauty after having one named Beast.

Today I edited my profile. I no longer am the owner of an Excel. It now belongs to a nice couple that bought the unit to set on a lot and live in it for awhile. They seems pleased and I'm happy that it is going to have a good home.

workhorse
Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Sorry for such a delay on my choice of a new name...but between life, work and dealing with two 5th wheels....one to get ready to use and the other to find a new home....things have been busy.

I think Val is a good name for her. Sorry Sidney but don't think I could live the Beauty after having one named Beast.

Today I edited my profile. I no longer am the owner of an Excel. It now belongs to a nice couple that bought the unit to set on a lot and live in it for awhile. They seems pleased and I'm happy that it is going to have a good home.

workhorse

Work,

You may not own an Excel, but you, my friend, are always welcome here. You've brought so much to this forum it's incedible! We are so thankful for all the things you've shared. You are my mentor. When it comes to wood....buddy....you be the man!!! And not only that...you're a damn nice guy!!!

I'm glad the beast has a good/new home. I hope you share your experiences with Val...cause I'm interested. If nothing else, post your stuff on the "off topic" thread. Ain't been much happenin' there anyway. Please stay in touch Chris!!!
Hugs to Ms. Debra! rockin'
Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post

Work, I hope you share your experiences with Val...cause I'm interested. If nothing else, post your stuff on the "off topic" thread.
Thinking about it I've already completed more upgrades and minor repairs to Val than I thought. Removed the 2nd AC from the bedroom and installed a MaxxFan vent and also replaced the bath 'egg-beater' vent fan with the MaxxFan. I like the low profile when closed and weather proof when open.

Considering the cost is so low and the visual effects so large...will replace the 'plastic-ABS' vents, latches and what nots that used to be white and now off color because of age with new replacements. Have already started the collection and have the 'bins and bags' of replacements in the Val Box to be installed when I wax/polish the unit.

So far the only things than have needed repair or replacement has been a waste valve on the bath tank and the water inlet because of a weak check valve spring. The rest will be upgrades and mods. New tires will go on next week, have Dexters EZ-Flex to upgrade the suspension when the bearings and brakes are serviced.

Now that the Beast has been sold and the DW has given her Blessing....will be ordering the surge protection, 50 amp components to do the mod, an additional compartment door for a new battery box for the 6v batteries....Plus, Plus +

Inside will need few changes. We already have a the 32 LED, the DVD recorder, Blu-Ray and only need to get the same suround sound system we had in the Beast. Will modify the cabinet for better viewing and use but should be less work than the Beast required. The other major mod will be the dinette....will be removing the table and building a cabinet-desk-table setup simular to what is in the currect Excels. As we usually use the dinette as a desk...this makes sense.

Work/mods have been easy and quick as I'm not stopping to take 3-5 pictures of every step I did.... So what used to take an hour now only takes 15 minutes. So far haven't recorded any of the work, don't think I will. But have taken those where I need to remember or show information for the 'Tech' manual on the unit....yes will have to do drawings on all the systems. As far as manuals....the Alpenlite came with a Brochure and a very detailed Owners Manual that had the drawings for the electrical, plumbing and LP systems. All manuals have been scanned into the computer or found on the .Net and stored on the computer...the only paper manual will be one that contains the Brochure-Owners-new Tech drawings.

Like to think that everything I do is 'learning' and knowledge that will be used sometime in the future. The Beast has been such a learning experience that will make Val a better Home for us.

workhorse