Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
After 18 months if fulltiming, our shower is draining slower than normal. Is this a simple plunger job or is there something I'm supposed to pour into the drain to speed it up?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
After 18 months if fulltiming, our shower is draining slower than normal. Is this a simple plunger job or is there something I'm supposed to pour into the drain to speed it up?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #3

Virg sounds like a soap/hair problem and can either be at the top of the pipe below the strainer or at the "P" or "J" trap. On my unit I have only a "J" trap between the shower drain and the tank. So would likely be one of those two spots.

My shower's drain has a strainer that is screwed in place in the center. Remove the screw and have visual access to the interior of the drain pipe below the strainer. Don't know if yours is like that? If so...remove the strainer an see if there is a buildup there.

Could try using hot water, I've used water from the coffee pot/maker, to pour down the drain in the house's kitchen drain to help flush out the sink's traps. This might help before using something stronger like a drain cleaner. As it is more soap based with hair included, might try using some soap/shower cleaner in the drain....let it set a bit and then use the hot water to flush out. The pipe material used in the plumbing should be able to withstand a chemical pipe cleaner if needed. Just check the label for warnings.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

I agree with Chris. We use vinegar and baking soda down the drains every month or so. This helps to keep things moving along. Let it sit for about 10 min. then rinse with hot water.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I'm on it boys, I'll get back with results after I try these solutions.
Thanks!

ON EDIT AFTER TRYING....
I had some soap scum remover/cleaner readily available. After I removed the strainer I cleaned out what I could just below there, poured about a pint of the stuff and went to boil water. When the gallon of water boiled, I pouredit down the drain on top of the stuff and then tried it out. The held my hand over the drain, filled the shower bottom with water and left the shower running. It drained faster than the incoming water so I think it is fixed.

We tried the vinegar/baking soda in the kitchen sink and I'll let you know how that works later.

Thanks for the suggestions, "something helped"
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
After you get the drains working again, you might want to get some stainless steel strainers like these for both the shower and the kitchen sink drains.

The one for the shower will collect lots of hair, and even if you wipe dishes before washing, you'll be surprised at how much "stuff" the ones for the kitchen sinks collect!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We've been purty lucky around here....ain't nobody in this household got enough hair to cause a problem!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I use one of THESE.
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Acker1:
I use one of THESE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too!!

Its' simple but does a great job.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #10

On our MKO and currently the MH we had slow shower drains. Tried the chemicals and even considered a snake. Finally got a plunger and went for it. Worked like a charm.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote