Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Last night my shower faucet started leaking. It just started, so luckily I have no water damage. It is leaking out the back side of the shower stall on both the hot and cold water sides only when running the water in the shower. I don't mind working on my own equipment, but I don't like to tear things apart without knowing what to expect. My water tubing is crimped to a brass 90 degree fitting and the brass is connected to a plastic nut that threads onto the faucet body. Can anyone tell me does this brass fitting swivel in the nut or do I have to cut the clamps off the plastic tubing to the brass fitting in order to remove the faucet body? These fittings are not the ones that are leaking, but I need to remove them to get the faucet body off the shower. Also, if anyone has had this problem, will I need to replace the entire faucet or is there something on the inside once I get the faucet off that justs needs tightened? I can't seem to find a manufacturer's name on the faucet. Thanks for any help.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Last night my shower faucet started leaking. It just started, so luckily I have no water damage. It is leaking out the back side of the shower stall on both the hot and cold water sides only when running the water in the shower. I don't mind working on my own equipment, but I don't like to tear things apart without knowing what to expect. My water tubing is crimped to a brass 90 degree fitting and the brass is connected to a plastic nut that threads onto the faucet body. Can anyone tell me does this brass fitting swivel in the nut or do I have to cut the clamps off the plastic tubing to the brass fitting in order to remove the faucet body? These fittings are not the ones that are leaking, but I need to remove them to get the faucet body off the shower. Also, if anyone has had this problem, will I need to replace the entire faucet or is there something on the inside once I get the faucet off that justs needs tightened? I can't seem to find a manufacturer's name on the faucet. Thanks for any help.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Paul,

Funny you should bring this up as I just went through the same thing. Once we had the micro/convection out and the backing plate off the wall the hoses were right there. Make sure you turn off the water and drain your low point drains. I also took advantage of this time to drain the water heater also. They just unscrew from the faucet. Make sure you tie the lines up so they don't fall down inside of the wall. Then there are to big like wingnouts that unscrew to take the faucet off the wall. I did replace the faucet when I had it apart but probably didn't need to. I also turned the faucet upside down. Meaning that where the shower head hose fastened on is now on the bottom and not on the top. If you look at the faucet you will see were the hose hooks onto the faucet just has a little rubber gromet around it and is a good place for water to leak in behind the controls and once behind it the only place it goes is bedhind the shower. When we reinstalled the faucet we gooped the back side of the faucet with chaulking all around it on the back. Then we fastened the faucet to the wall very snuggly (in fact some of the chaulking ozzed out. We then also chauled around the fuxture also. Let it set for a couple of day of not using the shower and all seems to be good now. Our faucet was a little loose when we picked it up so I think that was the major problem but while we were doing it I wanted to make sure that I turned the faucet over also.

Hope this helps. If you decide to get a new faucet Home Depot can order one for you for $12. It is excatly the same one as I had.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

Thanks for the info. especially tying off the water lines, I never would have thought about that. Do you happen to know the manufacturer? We are moving every couple days now so ordering one at Home Depot will not help until we stop for awhile in a few weeks. Thanks again.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Paul,
Sorry to hear bout your issue. Thanks to Butch for the good advice. I've only had to tighten the faucet to wall nuts on mine. I would suggest replacement of the faucet assy. as I've had mine apart (by accident) and it is all light plastic inside. Just turning on or off too tight wipes out the threads on the stems which are PLASTIC! Not the most "robust" setup you'll see. Keep us posted Paul. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Paul,

Sorry for your issue. Butch sure gave you good advice. I would suggest replacing the faucet assy. as I've had it apart and the innerds are all light PLASTIC. If you twist a little to hard off or on, the stems strip out. HTHs Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Paul,

Here is info when I ordered mine.

This is what is on the Home Depot order form

REF # SO101 SKU 741-153 Stock 33198 Price $11.78.

When we looked it up we were not in the bath faucet area. The salesperson that I was working with was really pretty sharp. When I told her what it was for she took me over to an area of the store where they have repair parts and then we looked in the catalog and I spotted it right away. Like I said I mounted ours so the threaded portion for the hose is now down. I also talked to Jack at SC and when I told him what I planned on doing he said that they do the same thing and turn it over. Just made more sense to me not to have any area with the potential of water getting in.

You know you might be able to set it up with the Home Depot to order in one store and then if you know where you will be in 10 to 12 days look for another HD store in your new location and have it sent to that HD. Then it would be waiting for you at the customer pickup when you rolled into town. Then you would have it whenever you had spare time to install.

Good Luck on it.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Butch,
Thanks again.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Hi Paul we have already had to tighten the fittings behind the shower faucet. And yes they now install them up side down,

Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #10

Evening everyone, seems like a lot of good advice. Wasn't aware this was a common issue.

As the question was asked about manufacturer here is a link to several types.
faucets

Haven't had to do any maintenance of my present unit..but when I replaced the shower faucet in my prior unit I used a product called Plumbers Puddy on the black base plate, sometimes called putty plate. A ribbon is put around the back side of the plate that attaches to the shower wall. When the faucet is secured to the wall, it forms a water tight seal. I use this same method when installing plumbing fixtures is the homes we work on.

As you didn't mention it, have you tried an RV parts dept, that's where I bought the faucet I replaced. Might also try a plumbing supply store or one that sell mobile home supplies.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Workshop,
Thanks for the link. As this happened on Sat. night the places I tried on Sun. were closed and we are moving today. I'm using a catch pan for the leak right now and it is working. I will check parts suppliers at our next stop.

04 Excel 33RSE
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
It depends on the price you want to pay. I did price mine at an RV place and they wanted over $25 for the same faucet that I paid $11.78 for at HD. I figured I could wait a few days to get it. I don't mind when someplace reaches into my money pocket with a couple of fingers but when they plunge in with both hands that bothers me then.

Good idea about the plumbers putty. The only problem I have with it it will ooze out forever (or at least it seems to me it does). I know Excel used it around the kitchen sink drains and I'm still cleaning it out of the sink. Do you have a good way to clean this sticky goo up with. I just use my finger nails and keep cleaning it off the drain as it oozes out.

I went to the provide site and lo and behold there it was. Utopia They only want $21.69 on sale and only $8.98 ground shipping. Normal price $25.99. ( There they are again with both hands in my pocktes) But it is good to see there are other sources to get them at. After Tom's post and how fragile they are I might go to HD and order another one to have as a spare.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Is there not a good quality metal version of this faucet available somewhere?

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I am pleased to report that the repairs are made and the faucet is no longer leaking. Thanks, guys, for all your tips. Today on our way from Amarillo to Albuquerque we stopped in Moriarty, NM at RV Sales to see if they had a replacement faucet. As luck would have it, they are closed on Monday, so we looked at their inventory through the fence and continued to Albuquerque. We are staying at Enchanted Trails on the west side of town right next to Camping World. I knew the part would be expensive but hoped that they would have it. We bought a new faucet and the inards are made of brass - can't vouch for the quality. We paid $28 - sometimes convenience has a price. Once we get staying put for a while I think I will have Home Depot order me a spare. As for now, my lovely wife is not worried about not being able to take a shower and that is well worth the extra bucks.
Thanks again.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE