Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Well I was looking here...........

jibe 1
Noun
an insulting or taunting remark
Verb
[jibing, jibed]
to make insulting or taunting remarks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryGodby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
BTW, isn't it Shucking and jibing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Wikipedia:

Shuckin' and jivin' (or shucking and jiving) is a slang term primarily used by African Americans. It refers to the speech and behavioral mechanisms adopted in the presence of an authority figure [1]. <span class="ev_code_RED">Shuckin' and jivin' usually involves clever lies and impromptu storytelling,</span> used to one-up an opponent or avoid punishment [2]. Such behavior is believed to have originated in the era of slavery [3].

Thomas Kochman provides an example:

One black gang member was coming down the stairway from the club room with seven guns on him and encountered some policemen coming up the same stairs. If they stopped and frisked him, he and others would have been arrested. A paraphrase of his shuck follows: 'Man, I gotta get away from up there. There's gonna be some trouble and I don't want no part of it.' The shuck worked on the minds of the policemen. It anticipated their questions as to why he was leaving the clubroom and why he would be in such a hurry. He also gave them a reason for wanting to go up fast. [4]
Shuckin' and Jivin': Folklore from Contemporary Black Americans (ISBN 0-253-20265-5) is the name of a book written by Daryl Cumber Dance in 1981. In 1972, the Johnny Lewis Quartet record a soul jazz LP called Shuckin' 'N Jivin' [5].

The term is also used in the <span class="ev_code_RED">Southern United States to mean any type of deceit or mischief involving lies.</span>

The highlighted part might, just might apply to some of us on this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG...we are big trouble when Larry the Godby Guy gets into Wikipedia!! We are indeed in big trouble!

Larry you are a riot!!! Only you would put so much energy in analyzing "shuckin' and jivin'"

You do great work!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OMG...we are big trouble when Larry the Godby Guy gets into Wikipedia!! We are indeed in big trouble!

Larry you are a riot!!! Only you would put so much energy in analyzing "shuckin' and jivin'"

You do great work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's what I live for. You would be surprised how much worthless crap I have in my head, maybe even more that you do, probably not.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Just remember what the immortal Bernie Focker said "If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down."

Sort of like this thread.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry, that Polaris RZR is way cool but you can get a tag for it to drive it on the hwy. I need a grocery store, haircut or milk run machine for occational trips of up to 50 miles sightseeing type scooter AND it needs to get at least 50mpg.

Chief, that Piaggio is a pretty neat bike for us old far*s. There are 3. The 250 like LArry mentioned and a 400cc and then a 500cc. The part Miss Jo likes is when you come to a stop light it "locks" upright and you do not have to put your feet down to hold it up. The MP3 500 cc is $8899 and gets R O U G H L Y 55 mpg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, when you two get done kissin up, can we get back to the FIRST OFF TOPIC comment about motorscooters please........
Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry, that Polaris RZR is way cool but you can get a tag for it to drive it on the hwy. I need a grocery store, haircut or milk run machine for occational trips of up to 50 miles sightseeing type scooter AND it needs to get at least 50mpg.

Chief, that Piaggio is a pretty neat bike for us old far*s. There are 3. The 250 like LArry mentioned and a 400cc and then a 500cc. The part Miss Jo likes is when you come to a stop light it "locks" upright and you do not have to put your feet down to hold it up. The MP3 500 cc is $8899 and gets R O U G H L Y 55 mpg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, when you two get done kissin up, can we get back to the FIRST OFF TOPIC comment about motorscooters please........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell you what Virg, I will buy you two of those 500 scooters and throw in my truck and you give me Overkill
Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Virg,
What perked my interest was one running around the campground -- called SunTrike, it looks like a cool option for short trips as you mentioned. The negative aspect of this particular model is that its limited to a 49cc engine.

This is the source of the Piaggio that I was visiting.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Out of every adversity something good happens....we never have to worry 'bout this "shuckin' and jivin'" thread gettin' buried!!! It'll always be on top with all us jesters to keep it there! Bet you the "serious hounds" will actually spend more time readin' our stuff more now than when we "blended it in" Maybe we can get published.....that's the deal....published!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

Take it easy....turn down the A/C and sip on a cool drink! Reeelaaaaxxxxx.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
This is the setup that would work best for us.
Take a peak...........
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...f-and-trailer/
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Virg,

Take it easy....turn down the A/C </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that's just downright mean you rascal, you know the LR AC is not working at it's best. It only fails in the heat of the day when it runs for a long time at once...I turn the fan only on for a while and when I turn it back to cool, it works great.

I am so grateful for the Bedroom AC.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
For a guy who's such a sweetheart....I can be down right crude, can't I? Good thing no one takes me too serious. You'll have to excuse me, as I'm out of sorts, as the local Walmart is out of my favorite Oakpoop. Woe is me...
Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Larry, thanks for looking up shucking and jiving. I was trying to figure out how to say that without offending anyone. I good at upsetting people.

Tom,

A sweetheart? Let's get Donna opinion on that. Or better yet let's inform her of the real you.

Larry,

"You are probably worse than the other two. You really encourage Sir KnowitAll, do you really think he needs any encouragement? Any man who drives a Volvo has a certain air of sophistication about him and should not get in the gutter with others. I don't see any hope for Virg but I really did expect more from you."

It's the ole redneck in me that comes out. Do you really think that all Volvo owners are sophisticated. I need to have a long talk with you. Just because you have all them transplant folks from CA moving into CO don't mean that all us have to act like them. I don't carry my nose in the air.

Virg,

Keep up the good work. What ever that is.

Well I'm off for the weekend, so I know I'll have lot's of reading to do when I get back plus have to defend myself.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As Larry posted, it's "shuckin' and jivin'".

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote