Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Slide-out question

We just purchased a 2011 Limited 36GKE. Our first rv. I noticed when the slide-outs are run out they contact the wall at the top first and then the bottom continues on out. When they are run out as far a I think they will go, they are tight at the top, but there is about a 1/2" space between the edge of the slide-out and the wall. The seals have full contact. Is this how they should be when run out all the way? How can you tell when to stop other than pump sound and/or going over to check on them. Also, on the bedroom slide, the left side is as described above, however, the top on the right side is about 3/16" away from the wall and the bottom is in the same relation as the others and is therefore about 11/16" away from the wall. I suspect this one needs adjustment for sure.
All advice and insight will be appreciated. Really like the coach.
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Is the floor flush when you feel its out all the way? If the slide floor is flush with the main floor, it is likely out all the way. But these slides are finicky and hydraulics are very powerful and can cause damage. I would have it checked by a qualified service center. Good luck.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks Chief..............I will lift up the slide carpet and check the floor. As you say, there is a lot of power there and I don't want to damage the outside wall with too much pressure. Is it normal for Excel slides to first make contact at the top of the slide, or should there be relatively equal initial contact all the way around? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes they go in and out on an angle and drop down to make the flush floor. But the side wall interior wood trim/flange should contact the wall "somewhat" evenly top to bottom.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Chief, I checked under the carpet. The floor has not completely slid down the white metal "ramp" between the rollers. My concern is that the top is already jam tight against the coach wall and I am afraid to force the wall any farther. Maybe I am actually putting more strain on the outside wall be allowing the slide to lean against top like that. I think I will make a call to the factory. The dealer I bought it from was not an Excel dealer.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Yeah, my slides at the top rub the walls pretty hard (witness marks on the wall) and the bottom has just a small gap when opened all the way. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

We have top issue also been adjusted at PI and didn't seemtomskethat much difference
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
We have top issue also been adjusted at PI and didn't seemtomskethat much difference
What kinda lanuage is that???? Just messin' with ya co!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
My passenger side has about 1" of gasket showing at the bottom and none at the top.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

That's I pad keyboard and not double checking before hitting send button. Did you figure it out?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel confident it is safe to run the slides out the additional 1/2 or so needed to align the floor and close the bottom seal a little tighter.

Tags
slide