RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
"Captain" Jack and his crew are doing an outstanding job on our coach. We had the new style storage compartment doors added and a 50 amp connection on the left front of the coach. This makes it easier to run the power from our truck mounted generator. "That Girl", Brandi, no longer works in the Service Center--instead, Darren was our service technician. Very meticulous and knowledgeable young man that I highly recommend.

Linda was our factory tour guide. I'm continually amazed by the flow of materials down an assembly line and the amount of detail work performed at each station.

Great visit -- enjoying the local eateries, Paul's and Jiffy Burger are reminiscent of the '50s and '60s. We haven't made it to the Sale Barn Café (on edit, Sale Barn has closed) this trip but hope to before we leave.
John & Marilyn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
"Captain" Jack and his crew are doing an outstanding job on our coach. We had the new style storage compartment doors added and a 50 amp connection on the left front of the coach. This makes it easier to run the power from our truck mounted generator. "That Girl", Brandi, no longer works in the Service Center--instead, Darren was our service technician. Very meticulous and knowledgeable young man that I highly recommend.

Linda was our factory tour guide. I'm continually amazed by the flow of materials down an assembly line and the amount of detail work performed at each station.

Great visit -- enjoying the local eateries, Paul's and Jiffy Burger are reminiscent of the '50s and '60s. We haven't made it to the Sale Barn Café (on edit, Sale Barn has closed) this trip but hope to before we leave.
John & Marilyn
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
John,

Duffy's down town has great food. The prim rib is to die for, or at least it was when I had it.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Linda is "good people" in our book. She put up with a ton of questions and sent us many special request pictures before we bought our Excel.

I can't wait to meet her in person, and thank her.

What do you mean by new style doors??

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Doug,
We have a 2005 model and the storage doors don't have the gas lifts -- DW is concerned about our type door falling on her head because of the snap type latch they used.

Our kudos to Linda also -- great lady.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Doug,
We have a 2005 model and the storage doors don't have the gas lifts -- DW is concerned about our type door falling on her head because of the snap type latch they used.

Our kudos to Linda also -- great lady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chief,

Don't you have to replace the doors for added reinforcement in the strut area? Just curious of what that cost.
I've had the one of those doors drop on my old head more than once when a gust of wind came up and pulled it loose from the snap.

And you wonder what the heck is wrong with me????

Oh, BTW....did you get the Fantistic Fan cover seal updated?
Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Doug,

Hmmm, our 2006 doesn't have gas lifts. I'd be interested in pictures/costs when you get a round to it

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D and J:
Doug,

Hmmm, our 2006 doesn't have gas lifts. I'd be interested in pictures/costs when you get a round to it

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, I thought all the 06's had the struts....must have not been S.O.P and therefore a running production change, 'cause all the 06 I've seen have it. That would be my best guess! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 AM   #9

John,

Just curious, how far in advance did you book your Smith Center service date? If I'm thinking about a Smith Center visit next summer when do I need to lock in a date?
Dutch_man39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi chief, scheduled to be at smith center on July 9---having my clo36 checked out for safety and just knowing about it---preparing for FT. Jack was so gracious to work me in with the first cancellation, looking forward to the visit.

Question, Do you have a park to recommend where we might stay and since we will have our two dogs, is there a recommended motel close by that will accomodate us while the trailer is in the shop?

I have found this site a god-sent in helping gypsy and I pull the plug on full time working---we see us not retiring, but preparing to finally live.

After my visit, in appreciation to all the help, I will post to the general membership how my conditions on the trailer were rectified. Jack and Linda seem like wounderful people. Looking forward to meeting you. Kind regards, Maverik and Gypsy

2008 4x4 crew f450
36clo Excel (homeless gypsies in style)

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
M/G

Should have read you message closer....you were asking about a hotel NOT a RV Park. Sorry. Oh well, maybe someone can use the info!

I know you were asking Chief, but I just had to chime in. There is a very small park in SC on the west side of town just off the hwy. It is called Sunset RV Park. I had the folks name and park and home number and can't find it right now. This park has about 13 pull thrus. No frills but level spots. Full hook ups with only 30 Amp service. The electric is a little weird in that if you overload and blow a breaker the park is wired with 2 breaker per site. The primary breaker at a central box alway blows before the breaker at the pedistal. Just FYI. You can get to the box once you locate it. The folks live right next to the park. It worked good for us. We stayed there while attending the 06 reunion and many of our Excel friends (that were boondocking) came to take showers, wash there hair, and take in some AC!! Oh yea, the price is right at $15.00 a nite. Cash or check only. I found the park #.

Smith Center
Sunset Park Campground - (785) 282-6037

I know they don't answer this phone out of season. If I run into the home # I will post. HTHs Tom
Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Somehow double posted....Sorry....Chief, please don't band me!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom -- we've been on the road today from Bridgeport, NE to CUSTER, SD. Settled into te "Big Pine Campground" for a couple of weeks.

Dutch_man39, I would contact them no later than early March 2008 for a summer 2008 visit.

Maverik and Gypsy, the motel is certainly an option. Normally, if your repairs allow Jack will have your coach pulled out and connected to shore power. Restrooms, showers, and laundry are available in the Customer Service Center Lounge facility. The problem is where to stay during the day -- we stayed in the lounge and boarded the girls for $15 (each) a day.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #14

Sorry, but I gotta ask. What is "The Smith Center"? Guess I missed something.