Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
This is an after the fact synopsis of my visit to the Service Center (SC) last week. Between problems with my lap top computer and the internet connection at the SC I was unable to make any posting to the forum.

Departed Fort worth Saturday, December 8 at 5:00 AM, arrived at the SC at 5:10 PM. The trip started to get interesting about 35 miles north of Oklahoma City when a freezing mist started. As I progressed northward it continued to deteriorate and the last part of the trip once I got onto 24, 181, and finally 36 was a true white knuckler. farmer g arrived about 8:15 PM with a similar trip to tell about. Lee and I spent all day Sunday getting acquainted and unwinding from the trip.

Monday morning work started on our rigs and Lee's was finished Tuesday allowing him to depart on Wednesday, before the big snow event. Work continued on our coach until Friday evening. I had hoped to head back to Fort Worth on Saturday morning, but that was not to be. Snow started to fall about 3:00 PM Friday and continued all night into mid Saturday morning. Copious amounts of snow, trust me.

Jack's team did their usual outstanding work. I think all of my worries and concerns are behind me as long as I can stay ahead of the never ending recaulking. While there, I had the famous Apollo ˝ time oven replaced with the current production Dometic. This is a very nice appliance and once I get accustom to the smaller cabinet next to it, I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade. This afternoon, I need to see if I can wash all the salt out from under the coach, what a mess it is. At any rate, I'm glad to have this long awaited trip behind me and to have made it home safely.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This is an after the fact synopsis of my visit to the Service Center (SC) last week. Between problems with my lap top computer and the internet connection at the SC I was unable to make any posting to the forum.

Departed Fort worth Saturday, December 8 at 5:00 AM, arrived at the SC at 5:10 PM. The trip started to get interesting about 35 miles north of Oklahoma City when a freezing mist started. As I progressed northward it continued to deteriorate and the last part of the trip once I got onto 24, 181, and finally 36 was a true white knuckler. farmer g arrived about 8:15 PM with a similar trip to tell about. Lee and I spent all day Sunday getting acquainted and unwinding from the trip.

Monday morning work started on our rigs and Lee's was finished Tuesday allowing him to depart on Wednesday, before the big snow event. Work continued on our coach until Friday evening. I had hoped to head back to Fort Worth on Saturday morning, but that was not to be. Snow started to fall about 3:00 PM Friday and continued all night into mid Saturday morning. Copious amounts of snow, trust me.

Jack's team did their usual outstanding work. I think all of my worries and concerns are behind me as long as I can stay ahead of the never ending recaulking. While there, I had the famous Apollo ˝ time oven replaced with the current production Dometic. This is a very nice appliance and once I get accustom to the smaller cabinet next to it, I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade. This afternoon, I need to see if I can wash all the salt out from under the coach, what a mess it is. At any rate, I'm glad to have this long awaited trip behind me and to have made it home safely.

Bangs, Texas
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,

Welcome back to the forum -- we missed you! I figured you would be delayed getting out of SC due to the weather. Always better to wait out something like that, versus being the fool in the ditch or worse. Bottom line, we have all the issues on our coaches repaired and 'hopefully' we can all relax and enjoy them. The caulking will not be that difficult or labor intensive if we stay on top of it.

Now you can relax!

John
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #4

Bob, Glad you had a safe trip and now home to deal with the cleanup, as if thats fun.

Also glad that your service trip was a good one. As you mentioned "staying ahead of recaulking", where were your areas of major concerns. Just starting to get a maintenance base line on my unit when it comes to caulking. Anything you wish to share will be helpful. Have about 90% of the roof/gutter area completed but with a 2001, can see I might be bussssy.

Thanks, Chris
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #5

I'd also be interested- as the new owner of a 2008, I hadn't expected to be worrying about the caulking so soon after manufacture. What areas are proving troublesome? What type of caulk are you using as the replacement? Is it the original caulking failing, or something else?

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to all!

Rick
Rick_CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The main reason for my trip to the SC was for water intrusion at the bottom of the slide-outs which has been discussed in other postings. Newer production saw the change from the insert extrusion at the top and bottom of the slide ends to a flat aluminum with exposed screws. This new arrangement along with a better sealant behind it should stop the path for water to migrate into the slide-out floors. Older coaches exhibiting this problem are having the new aluminum installed as part of the repair. Looks good, I hope it lasts a long time.

As for the caulking: Well the easy way to explain it is this. Anywhere there is insert extrusion or a joint covered by some type of aluminum strip there is caulking. When you inspect it, you will find places where it has a visible crack or a portion which is loose (no longer bonded to the two surfaces). These places need to be removed, the area wiped down with isopropyl alcohol, and new caulking applied. The product of choice is 100% white silicone caulk which you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's just something that will require constant attention in order to stay on top of it. The other alternative, if your independently wealthy, might be to trade coaches about every five years. I think Bryan, might get behind and support that movement. Keep in mind, recaulking is not an Excel thing, it's routine maintenance for any RV. Leave a place exposed and water will find it.

Bangs, Texas
Old 12-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Well said 'Highgturn' -- inspecting and re-caulking anywhere caulking was applied during construction is routine preventive maintenance. Just like a stick house, you've got to throughly inspect the exterior of your RV at least semi-annually.

I have seen Excels and SOBs that the owner has neglected since purchase. Then they wonder why their complete sidewall has rotted and they have a big $$$$$$ repair bill?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I'm thinking trading every 3 years is a better idea Bob.

I have my youngest girl in college, my middle one getting married, and my oldest one just informed us that we are fortunate enough to be future grandparents

On second thought.... For those who wish to trade every TWO years, I'll put you on my Christmas card list.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I bet Bryan would go for new trade every 6 months.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
It's off the subject, but congrats on the going to be a Grandparent deal. I know that your lose of hair and the gray tint in the background was a sign of something. I thought is was just to much work and stress, now we have it figured out that. Age, Congrats to be, Grandpa.... and by the way, you know Deb doesn't look like a grandma, something happened here. You aged and she didn't??????
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
so Bob, I guess you were able to get inside on Saturday?? We were over at RockinTom's when you called.

Glad you made it home safe!

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D and J:
so Bob, I guess you were able to get inside on Saturday?? We were over at RockinTom's when you called.

Glad you made it home safe! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.....someone came by and undocked the door. I don't think they were expecting us until Sunday.

Bangs, Texas