Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Snap on Window Sun Shades for Your Excel

I brought this over from another thread to avoid over high jacking the thread!!!

Here's my 2 cents worth. We just added outside snap on sun screens over each window in our rig. They have an 80% UV factor, let light in and let a breeze come through. They have reduceed the amount of heat coming into the rig through the windows so much that we are running the A/C a whole lot less. We are now able to have all the shades up all day long and enjoy the outside scenery w/o worrying about the heat gain. The best part was the price. They were only $286. It was well worth it.
__________________________________________________ __________

I bought them at "The Shade Shoppe" in Don-Wes Flea Market. They've been there for about 10 yrs now and came highly recommended. They did great work.
I took the them measurements of each window, chose the fabric & color and put down a deposit. They then fabricated them and brought them to me for installation. There was an issue with them doing the installation because of some specific park rules about them having to have liability insurance which they didn't have. I had paid extra for them to do the install but instead he acted as my personnal consultant and made sure I did it right. It's actually quite easy for a person to do by themselves.
They have several different fabrics to chose from. They have 80% & 90% UV ratings & I think a 92%. We chose the 80% because of the increased light allowed and the ability to pass more air when the windows are open. We chose a light silver color instead of the common black because we didn't need another heat sink. Besides they look pretty good.
I do take them off when we are moving the rig. It takes all of 15 minutes max to take down the ladder, put them up and put the ladder up again. It's the same to take down. To me it's a "none issue" on time.
The new A/C worked quite well before and even better now. It cools this 36' GKE to 76* inside w 90* outside w/o any problem. We'll see how it does this summer but I'm expecting it'll work just fine. We just make sure that we clean the intake filters at least once per month.
Full contact info:
Tracey Sanford
The Shade Shoppe
PO Box 158
Mercedes, TX 78570
956-461-5647
shadeshoppe@hotmail.com
Hopes this helps answer all your questions.
__________________________________________________ __________

Very good and detailed info 99%! Thanks so much. Would a pic or 2 be asking too much? rockin'

PS....love the Don Wes Flea Market! I wonder if you ought to put this info in a seperate thread? We are a bit off topic. __________________
2010 Excel L33ft. RSO Love Fulltiming. Tugger, the wonder truck. '05 Chevy D/A 3500 CC DRW Fold-A-Cover Raycor 660 Auxilarly Fuel Filter
Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
__________________________________________________ ___________

You can start the new thread with all this info. I'll post pics when I find time from walking the beaches here! You do remember it's the start of spring break here.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I had these for my 2003 RGE Classic. I had awnings over most of the windows which made a big difference on the inside temps. I put shades on the windows on the sides of the slide out and one on the hallway window. The ones on the slide out were left on all the time during the summer months. They did not interfere with the slide gasket at all.

So far I have seen no need for shades on the Wild Cargo with the Thermo-pane windows with my second air on the back. I am sure they would make a difference just like window awnings. The one thing I didn't like about awnings was they blocked some of the view looking out the windows. Shades will allow you the full view.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
The one thing I didn't like about awnings was they blocked some of the view looking out the windows. Shades will allow you the full view.
And that's a big deal for a guy like you that has nose trouble!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
And that's a big deal for a guy like you that has nose trouble!
Just want to see you trying to sneek up on me!!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Just want to see you trying to sneek up on me!!
What do you mean???? How could you those bright blue stripes on my bibs!!! I really wouldn't sneak up on you still....I'm deathly afraid of your south of the border ferocious pups!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I had these for my 2003 RGE Classic. So far I have seen no need for shades on the Wild Cargo with the Thermo-pane windows with my second air on the back. I am sure they would make a difference just like window awnings. The one thing I didn't like about awnings was they blocked some of the view looking out the windows. Shades will allow you the full view.
You're right about the Thermo-pane windows keeping the heat out. The only thing is, we only have one A/C unit and unless you have something to cover the window, it still gathers heat when the sun hits it. This way, we only need one A/C and we can have the shades wide open with the sun hitting the windows.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
With the warmer (hot) weather just around the corner, I'm planning to have Ralph (RV Sales) install a couple of Dometic/A&E Elite Window Awnings Elite Window Awnings - Dometic A&E RV Awnings - Camping World (1 on the sofa slide window and 1 on the parlor slide window). But that won't do anything for all those really large rear windows! Ralph says window awnings can't be installed on the rear windows, so these snap-on shades sound like a great idea for the rear windows! I see that Don Wes Flea Market is in South TX; I won't be heading that direction anytime soon? Can I order these anywhere online? I Googled "The Shade Shoppe", but nothing came up. Thanks!
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Glenn, you might keep an eye out for a fulltimer traveling that makes these shades. Thats how I got mine.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
With the warmer (hot) weather just around the corner, I'm planning to have Ralph (RV Sales) install a couple of Dometic/A&E Elite Window Awnings Elite Window Awnings - Dometic A&E RV Awnings - Camping World (1 on the sofa slide window and 1 on the parlor slide window). But that won't do anything for all those really large rear windows! Ralph says window awnings can't be installed on the rear windows, so these snap-on shades sound like a great idea for the rear windows! I see that Don Wes Flea Market is in South TX; I won't be heading that direction anytime soon? Can I order these anywhere online? I Googled "The Shade Shoppe", but nothing came up. Thanks!
I'm sure you could call them and get them sent to you.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's some pics of what the shades look like and of our site at Isla Blanca County Park, South Padre Island, TX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0255.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	8804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0256.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	8805  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0258.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	8806  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks 99....they look good. With all that "high roller equipment" you have there......I bet many think you are either a dope dealer or drawing a military pension or two....!!! Just kiddin'!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
That would be a cool mobile business installing those and I know this summer I'll wish I had them when we experience the 110+* Oklahoma heat waves. They would have worked well here in the FL Keys as I have seen the wind tear off a couple window awnings over the winter during a couple 60 MPH thunderstorms. Since we only have the one AC unit it would be a good idea once I convince the wife we don't live in a bunker! The more I look at it, the more I get used to it ... and they can be easily removed for cleaning.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
That would be a cool mobile business installing those and I know this summer I'll wish I had them when we experience the 110+* Oklahoma heat waves. They would have worked well here in the FL Keys as I have seen the wind tear off a couple window awnings over the winter during a couple 60 MPH thunderstorms. Since we only have the one AC unit it would be a good idea once I convince the wife we don't live in a bunker! The more I look at it, the more I get used to it ... and they can be easily removed for cleaning.

Dave
You could probably work out something with them in the RGV. You place the order, take a little mark-up and then charge $10 / window install with minimum $50. With the buyer paying postage, you're into clean money. Quick & easy.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks 99....they look good. With all that "high roller equipment" you have there......I bet many think you are either a dope dealer or drawing a military pension or two....!!! Just kiddin'!
They find out that I make two nickels squeel when needed. The main thing is I spend $00.00 on OP. I trying to work on finishing a bottle of rum that we bought in '99. We still a about 2 -3 drinks left. That alone saves us bundles.

The other thing is I sell observation tickets to watch us load and unlod the Smart. It helps with the fuel bill. NOTTTTTTTTT!