Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I was under the rig doing standard maintenance since I'm at a park with a nice concrete slab.
I was moving around on the ground and hit the spare tire with my knee and it started swinging on the cable!! It was hanging down about 6 inches from the mount. I know it hasn't been loose long as I checked the air in it a couple weeks ago. After pulling it down to inspect, it appears it has some plastic pieces in the pully mechanism that have come apart and broken. I don't know if the "gut pack" is replaceable or not. The metal housing portion of the mechanism is welded to a cross member on the frame. Has anyone had this concern? Apparently the plastic pieces that are broken, control the cable from releasing on it's own (keeping the cable tight). I was able to reinstall the spare back up in place, but know it won't stay.

Not meaning to be "doom and gloom", but the real problem would be if the spare had dropped low enough to hit the road at hiway speed and comeback up and go up into my rear kitchen floor. Ouch! Or worse yet, come out the back end at hiway speed, and hit someone's car or windshield. Those old 614's are heavy and could do some kind of damage.

Anyone had this issue happen to them?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I was under the rig doing standard maintenance since I'm at a park with a nice concrete slab.
I was moving around on the ground and hit the spare tire with my knee and it started swinging on the cable!! It was hanging down about 6 inches from the mount. I know it hasn't been loose long as I checked the air in it a couple weeks ago. After pulling it down to inspect, it appears it has some plastic pieces in the pully mechanism that have come apart and broken. I don't know if the "gut pack" is replaceable or not. The metal housing portion of the mechanism is welded to a cross member on the frame. Has anyone had this concern? Apparently the plastic pieces that are broken, control the cable from releasing on it's own (keeping the cable tight). I was able to reinstall the spare back up in place, but know it won't stay.

Not meaning to be "doom and gloom", but the real problem would be if the spare had dropped low enough to hit the road at hiway speed and comeback up and go up into my rear kitchen floor. Ouch! Or worse yet, come out the back end at hiway speed, and hit someone's car or windshield. Those old 614's are heavy and could do some kind of damage.

Anyone had this issue happen to them?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
I have heard of an owner whose cable had rusted and he lost his spare. I also know a person who had their spare stolen. I have chained my spare up to the frame on two sides with locks in hopes of keeping it in place. Sorry I can't provide any info. on your problem.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
The chain and lock sounds like a good idea....if nothing else to hold the spare in place. Thanks Paul. Tom
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Paul, Would you share how and where you connected the chains (welded, attached brackets with bolts???? ) Sounds like an important safety suggestion to me especially since I also have experienced a loose, moving spare. The set up even looks precarious. Tom, thanks for posting this topic. Many thanks, Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
On my unit the spare pulls up to the frame and stops against what looks like an upside down T. I wrapped the chain tightly around the T and down through the holes in the wheel and around the tire and then secured the ends with a lock. I did this on both sides. I hope this is clear.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Paul,
I can visualize what you've done in my IQ 14 mind. You done good describing it! Off to the HD I go! Thanks again! Tom
Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom and Paul,
I've worn out one creeper already , chasing down potential problems identified by Tom and others. I know the underside of my Excel better than ???? (don't need to go there! )
I'm also off to the local hardware store today for chains and locks--good idea Paul.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I really like the way we "help" one another out here on this site. But everything we do just keep costing more money!!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Paul---have the chain and locks---as soon as the rain stops (still in Mi, could turn into white stuff ), getting after the spare. Many thanks,

By the way, Tom,

Have a piece of chain and extra lock for $--- Cheap especially to my friends Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Sorry about the possiblities of snow It's 86* today here in Austin. Love it. Tom
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Went to HD and bought 10ft. of #2 chain. Wrapped it once around the upside down T welded to the cross member for the spare mounting. Then went thru the center of the rim. Ran the other end of the chain under the tire to the other side. Used 5/16 bolts, washers, and nuts to connect chain. My main concern is to retain the tire and wheel and not so worried about theft. I just hope the chain is heavy enough to retain long term with the road jounce that goes on behind the axles. We'll see and I'll keep a watch on it. Here's a pic or two so you can take a look at it. Tom

P.S. My buddy Bob (highgturn) will probably comment that I haven't painted my spare rim with Imron paint....he's just that kinda guy!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
A couple of years ago I was under my traler and noticed that the spare tire was down about 3 inches. I lower it furter and found the most of the strands of the cable was cut. We were getting ready to go on a trip and I remove the spare put in the the pickup for the trip. Call my dealer and he or Excel sent me a new hoist at not cost and I was out of wartenty.I had a local welding shop instal the new hoist and have not had a problem since then. The chain sounds like a good idea to ensure the tire stays up under the traler. Could you inagine the prlblem the could be caused if the spare came out from under the trailer going down the highway.

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Tom, you are great in showing your work. Sitting here reading your message with one pictures and all of a sudden another one appears---really helpful

Seriously, just think how many people's safety you and Paul may have impacted today. Changed ny mind, to you, the chain and MD will be free. Maverik

05 Excel CLO36