Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Spring replacement for weight compensation

My 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE lists to the left. The list has progressed.

The floorplan is not balanced side to side. It is heavier on the left (streetside) due to the kitchen, refrigerator and more cabinets on that side. I have not weighed each wheel to verify. I have been told the left side is 1,000 lbs heavier than the right on this floorplan.

I always must raise the left side when setting up on a level pad. A friend said my trailer looks like it leans to the left when towing. The bed clearance is less on the left.

I have 7K lb axles with 3500 lb springs. The left rear spring in visually more "sprung".

I plan to replace both left side springs with 4K lb rated springs to compensate for the heavier left side. This was suggested by a friend that builds concession trailers and trucks. This is a common problem for him, heavy kitchen on one side and light on opposite serving side.

Has anyone else experienced listing of their trailer? What was your solution?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Haven't had the issue on any of my 3 Excels, but I think you are headed on the right path.
If we ever have a spring issue, I'd be going to the 8K springs, but replace all of them. I think it's a nice upgrade, and it will raise your current riding height just a bit when installed in the same mounting holes. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I have thought about this since seeing it on FB and agree with Rock. The only thing I see is the ride will be a little stiffer, which in your case should not be bad since you are heavy on that side. It would be interesting to see what your individual tire weights are.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
....If we ever have a spring issue, I'd be going to the 8K springs, but replace all of them..... rockin'
Replacing all four 3.5K springs with 4K was my initial plan.

Then I talked to the concession trailer and truck builder who advised 4K on the heavy side and 3.5K on the light side. It makes logical sense. It is common practice in concession vehicles that have the same weight issue imbalance I face.

I'm scheduled to replace the springs next Thursday. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the reply. It's been quiet on this thread....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
...It would be interesting to see what your individual tire weights are.
I was in Livingston last weekend and wanted to get weighed at Rainbows End.

But, it was pouring rain.

Maybe next time.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I ordered four 4K springs.

We will replace the two on the left side then evaluate for level. If trailer then lists to right, will replace the right side.

I will also check and replace (if needed) the Never Fail bushings. They have 30+K miles towing since installed. I have not added grease via the wet bolts per manufacturers recommendation since installed 26 months ago.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I ordered four 4K springs.

We will replace the two on the left side then evaluate for level. If trailer then lists to right, will replace the right side.

I will also check and replace (if needed) the Never Fail bushings. They have 30+K miles towing since installed. I have not added grease via the wet bolts per manufacturers recommendation since installed 26 months ago.
Oh my. I thought the never fail bushings lasted forever! That's why you install them. Never have to lube them. Now I'm confused!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It would be very helpful to get side weights to determine the difference. If indeed you are 1000 heavier on one side changing from 3500 to 4000 should rectify the lean. If the weight difference is greater then the spring increase may be higher.

Just for discussion sake will there be a difference in spring reaction while driving if you have different capacity springs side to side? Could the difference result in a shimmy, etc?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Oh my. I thought the never fail bushings lasted forever! That's why you install them. Never have to lube them. Now I'm confused!!! rockin'
They are supposed to last the life of the trailer. But how often are they checked? This will be an opportunity to see what 30K miles use looks like.

Science!

I have not missed crawling under the camper with a grease gun.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
....Just for discussion sake will there be a difference in spring reaction while driving if you have different capacity springs side to side? Could the difference result in a shimmy, etc?
It apparently is common practice in the trucking and concession trailer world.

I'm not shy about testing it on my 5th Wheel. If I have issues, I will replace the right springs with 4K.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
JDT

Russell, no lean, at least yet, on mine. My heavy side is also the street (left) side of the coach, as I would guess most are. Just a guess as I haven't kept track, but I would think we are approaching 25K miles on ours. I have my Center Points plumbed separately and have to put about 60 psi on that side. The lighter side needs only about 40 pounds. Something to watch.

This site has gotten much quieter since the demise of PI. I just hope someone doesn't decide to pull the plug on it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Peterson Industries closed their doors a year ago today.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
.... I have my Center Points plumbed separately and have to put about 60 psi on that side. The lighter side needs only about 40 pounds. Something to watch....
I too have each side plumbed separately with my Centerpoint and run the left at higher pressure.

I could keep the trailer level that way. But as the springs on the left sagged I can no longer compensate with higher pressure.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I too think you are heading down the right path. But, I'll pose the same question Gorden did in a different way. But first, one day you and I compared notes on transitioning from George Bush freeway to northbound on I-35 where there is a terrible pitch in the roadway. The question is, if you were to hit something like that again, wouldn't your left side pitch much higher than the right and could this be dangerous? Just something to watch for.

Don
PS: I seem to remember Chief2 (Bill) going through some of the same thinking about his springs awhile back. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, weight