Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Steady Fast stabilizer system

I am looking at this system to install on my WC. I notice on the website that there are pictures showing an Excel 5th wheel (do not know which model) with the system installed. However, the brackets appear to be wielded to the footpads.

Does anyone have this system? Is it as good as it claims? Do you know how the ends are attached to the footpads.

As always, thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Here is the photo I think you are referring to. The brackets are welded to the footpad, but you are using 'their' provided foot pad. Take your off and install theirs. From what I gather its a drill and bolt install.

workhorse
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I talk to Steady Fast (through email) and they stated that you can bolt or wield the bracket to the footpad. Obliviously wielding is stronger, but bolting is easier, at least for me not having access to a wielder.

Does anyone have this system installed on their 5th wheel? Does it do what it claims? My WC does move when setup, side to side and back to front. I would like to alleviate that motion.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Ok, no one responded that they had this system installed. I did install it and here are the pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-98820780.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	41271

Name:	image-1160808479.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	41272

Name:	image-1181507742.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	41273

Name:	image-2058156308.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	41274

Name:	image-3168434411.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	41275

Name:	image-3184911911.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	41276

Name:	image-2448399313.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	41277

Name:	image-1063488375.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	41278
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I should say that the system has reduced movement in the WC to a level that makes movement unnoticeable. Quite pleased.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Rburke.....thanks for the pix and all. Just wondering why the wheel if off the ground in the one pic? Also, on the second to the last pic it appears that the copper ground wire is not securely attached on the end with the stud and nut. Just FYI rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
It looks like he extended the rear jack right out to get the outer limit of the stabilizer in the right place. How close does the stabilizer come to your exhaust from the genset?
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
To Rick, too close when the jack is in the up position, good thing for the strap hanger.

To Rocking, yes, your right and I intend to change to a different place, probably between the 2 pipes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
As far as the wheel off the ground, this happens when the ground that we are situated is not level in anyway what-so-ever.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
As far as the wheel off the ground, this happens when the ground that we are situated is not level in anyway what-so-ever.
I guess I'm a little paranoid.....I'd never have a wheel off the ground like that. It's torques the frame and my doors and slide rooms get out of shape. I've done it when setting up by accident but not on purpose. I always try to get things close to level side to side by shimming tires then finesse it with the jacks. Then normal front to rear leveling. IIRC....that's what the owner's manual says. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I guess I'm a little paranoid.....I'd never have a wheel off the ground like that. It's torques the frame and my doors and slide rooms get out of shape. I've done it when setting up by accident but not on purpose. I always try to get things close to level side to side by shimming tires then finesse it with the jacks. Then normal front to rear leveling. IIRC....that's what the owner's manual says. rockin'
Tom, obviously you do not have AutoLevel.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Tom, obviously you do not have AutoLevel.
Doc,

You are right......autolevel wasn't offered when my old gal was built.

Therefore she' "limited".....do I have to trade this thing in for a fresh one to keep with the EL Jones???!!!

Do you lift the tires off the ground on your normal setup? If so.....don't you get a bit of twist in the frame? Just wonderin' rockin'
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
...Do you lift the tires off the ground on your normal setup? If so.....don't you get a bit of twist in the frame? Just wonderin' rockin'
Tom, AutoLevel works a bit different than the standard Excel hydraulic levelers I've seen.

The manual system, like yours, has 4 switches. Front right, front left, rear right, rear left. You must push 2 switches at the same time to raise fore and aft or side to side.

With AutoLevel, once the rear jacks "ground" then the jacks work in pairs (front, rear, left or right).

The twist occurs when the jacks ground, since the rears do that one at a time. That's my only complaint with the system.

I have learned a few tricks after 9 months of ownership and 60+ AutoLeveling cycles. First, extend the slides before AutoLevel and retract the rear jacks before retracting the slides. This avoids scuffing the floors. Also, to get my "return to hitch height" feature I must first retract the rear jacks. Then power off the system, then power on and THEN press the left and right buttons simultaneously for it to return to hitch height. Nice feature. Unless I follow those steps, mine does not work. DO NOT turn off the master switch inside the storage area, or the return to height feature will not work.

Yes, I will let the Autolevel raise the wheels off the ground if that is what it takes. I see no additional problems (other than already stated) doing so.

I can manually extend and retract the jacks. By pairs or individually.

Would you use your hydraulic jacks to raise the trailer to change a tire? If both jacks on one side are working at the same time, how can the frame twist?

I did not receive proper instruction on AutoLevel when I bought my trailer. Many features would not function if I followed their instructions. I figured it out by trial and error.

I really like AutoLevel. I would not want to be without it. The rear grounding needs to be improved to operate as a pair, not individually. I'll ask about this next time I'm in for service.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2451.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	41304  

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Doc,

Of course I would use the jacks on the same side to change a tire. I'm just not a fan of using the jacks to make large side to side adjustments to level.

I know they say that Excel frames are so rigid that they only need 4 jacks instead of 6 like on SOBs with the autolevel.......but I'm still a bit of a skeptic. I've not had the opportunity to fool with one like you. I know you're probably right. Maybe we can play with it some and make our brides "sea sick" in the rig.!!! rockin'