Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

More often than not, when I try to turn on the Fantastic Fan, the cover sticks. The only way I can open it is to turn the wall switch off and manually force the cover open by turning the knob on the unit. Sometimes it takes significant force to break the seal; so much so that I am worried one of these days I will break it. However, once I break the seal, operating the fan with the wall switch works well.

I have tried cleaning the gasket with alcohol, spraying it with silcione spray, spraying it with Teflon spray, and greasing it with vaseline. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Arizona
Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #2

More often than not, when I try to turn on the Fantastic Fan, the cover sticks. The only way I can open it is to turn the wall switch off and manually force the cover open by turning the knob on the unit. Sometimes it takes significant force to break the seal; so much so that I am worried one of these days I will break it. However, once I break the seal, operating the fan with the wall switch works well.

I have tried cleaning the gasket with alcohol, spraying it with silcione spray, spraying it with Teflon spray, and greasing it with vaseline. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Arizona
Old 05-20-2007, 02:30 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Greenthumb,

Absolutely gotta fix. Either call or email (from their website) Fantastic Vent. Tell them your problem. They will ask you how many fans you have. Give them your address and they'll send you an updated kit to fix it each one. The kit consist of a new seal that is between the fan body and the vent cover. Also a tube of sealer for that seal, 4 packets of 303 Protectent lubricate and detailed instructions. I have had mine on for 6 months and it works great. Bottom line is they changed the supplier for the seal and it has better UV properties, etc. The problem occurred from about 2004 to some 2006 models. The nice thing is that Fastatisic Vents are warrantied for life and they have the best service in the world. Doesn't take long at all to install and you just have to let the sealer dry overnite. Website customer service is http://www.fantasticvent.com/contact_us/contact_us.html HTHs Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #4

Rockington,

Fantastic! (pun intended) I will be calling them tomorrow morning. We have been living with this problem ever since we bought our 2004 coach and will be very happy to finally solve this problem.

Thank You!

Arizona
Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
Thanks Buddy! Send them an email today. What does the "Rockin" imply? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Frank,
Ask...and you shall recieve! When you get the parts, let me know if you have questions. It is really easy. This site is great. It's nice we can help one another. The power in numbers. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Tom,
Thanks Buddy! Send them an email today. What does the "Rockin" imply? Inquiring minds want to know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chief,

Rockin' is my old street name as I haven't always been the "saint" I am today!! I ran rather hard and lived alot of life. How did you get me to tell this story? Your sneeky, Chief! I really am a saint Chief....no really Ha. Tom
Old 05-21-2007, 04:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fast service -- just received a response to my email (sent yesterday) and my repair kit is being sent today.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:35 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

I told you they were good. Took about 4-5 days to get it. Came in a larger than I expected box. The hardest thing to do on this job is removing the MAX Aire cover! Don't forget to clean off your old adhesive off the fan body.

Holler if I can help! Don't take much to excite us anymore!! Tom
Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom, I might leave it to the Smith Center crew as I'll be seeing them on 19 June. I really appreciate the information as I would never had known about the fix for this issue. I attributed it to simply a sticking cover that you learn to live with--an annoyance versus a major problem.

I get excited just seeing the sun come up each day!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #11

Thank You for that tip on the fan cover. I keep thinking I am going to break something.I even climbed up on top a few times to crack it loose.

Farmer Jim
'04 30SRW
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Update -- as I stated in my previous post, sent an Email on Sunday (20 May) and parts were shipped on Monday 21 May).

UPS delivered today! Outstanding service!!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #13

I am e-mailed for the kit too fix the problem, a email back saying the kit is on it's way. You can't beat that for service. Again, thank you for the solution.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #14

I have had the exact same problem with the sticking. Mine is a 2006 model. Is this something that I can fix on my own? (woman with not much handyman experience)