Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #1

Switch and Light Locations on 30 RSO

My 2006 30 SO has an odd switch location arrangement that doesn't seem logical. I'm wondering if it is wired as designed or if someone messed up.

At the the switch panel near the bottom of the stairs is a switch that turns on the light at the top of the stairs, the light in the shower, and the 3 lights above the sink in the dreasing area. The switch next to the sink controls the overhead lights closest to the closet.

I think the switch next to the sink should control the 3 lights above the sink and the overhead fixture by the closet.

Was this normal?

If not any thoughts of how to correct?

Are there wiring diagrams for our rigs?
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Onmy RSO the switches by the bedroom sink control the vanity puck lights and the ceiling puck lights. The stairway switch only control the hallway and shower lights. I have never seen a wiring digram.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

That's the way I think it should be. now to figure out how to correct it.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

We have 06 33 RSO. switch by steps controls shower, ceiling light & above Bathroom sink. Light at foot of bed has switch on washer/dryer closet wall. As far as we know there is no owner diagrams. Hopefully Ralph has access. FYI- we had 8 outlets tied into one gfci circuit breaker. Cause we were always blowing a 20amp gfci breaker, the boss (being qualified)fixed that problem. Replaced circuit breaker with regular 30 amp & now just have bathroom sink & kitchen sink with GFCI outlets.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
My 06-30RSO is wired/switched the same way. When I pulled one of the pucks in the overhead above sink you can see how all three are wired together and the feed goes up into the ceiling. I've worked on a couple of fixes but haven't settled on one yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

I assume that everyone with older units knows all the lights have their own little switch on the fixture it's self. When wanting to save battery power or whatever reason you can pick and chose.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 05 SKW had all the light switches, except for the "bedroom" and toilet, by the stairs in the "hallway". So, if you wanted to turn on the vanity lights above the sink you had to go back to the "hallway" for the switch. I ordered a matching single switch from Smith Center, cut a hole in the light valance above the sink, spliced the new switch into the wires going to the 3 vanity lights. We leave the original switch in the on position, but turn the vanity lights on and off with the new switch. This makes so much more sense. Why didn't S.C. design it this way??
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
We leave the original switch in the on position, but turn the vanity lights on and off with the new switch.
A variation of this might be to locate the 12v feed to the vanity lights from the basement directly under the sink. If you can get access to the wires above the vanity, and it feels like there is some play in the wires, try having your assistant jiggle the wires while you look in the basement. If that works, splice in an unswitched 12v feed (after the fuse box). An easy one to find in the basement is a 12v basement light since they're all switched at the light. Then just add the new switch like RET FF did above.

- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #9

Looks like somewhere between 2006 and 2010, they changed the switch location for the "Puck" lights. My wife said she's getting use to it but I plan to do something about it if I can without tearing out the walls. John and Don have some good suggestions. I'll post my solution if I come up with something different.

Tags
cat