Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I was just wondering if anyone with a new excel has ever had any problem with the tail of the RV dragging out of drives and ect. Was thinking about a set of casters for a little insurance. Any one else with a Excel have any casters installed ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I was just wondering if anyone with a new excel has ever had any problem with the tail of the RV dragging out of drives and ect. Was thinking about a set of casters for a little insurance. Any one else with a Excel have any casters installed ?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Never had a problem in two years and we have one of those receiver cargo haulers on the back.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Ditto John's comments. Never had ours drag on anything.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:30 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Roger,

We've had ours drag on very big dips in driveway/parklots, ect. We drove over very slow and the outfitters drug just a little as they had witness marks. We moved our spring shackles to the highest setting to raise the unit. Also make sure your trailer is very close to level with your TV. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #6

just a general comment....it is real easy to find situations off road..say in a camp ground or dirt parking area that will catch any 5th wheel...I bent the rear stabilizers on my last fiver...and I had gotten out and stared at the ground before I drove over it... So use caution..lots of caution .
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Roger,
We have had our rear jacks drag a couple of times. Luckily no damage. I recently raised my pin box 1 notch(2 inches) and took it for a test run. At the intersection were the jacks have drug in the past raising the pin box has helped. It also lets the trailer sit leveler with the TV as I was a little hose high. I hope we hear from someone with casters. They would sure help to protect the jacks.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #8

I have dragged the back of so many T.T.'s that I have just welded skids on the back of our 35'Excel. The rear steps to the kitchen and the rear stabilizers are very vulnerable on our rig. Skids were made from 1/2" X 2" mild steel. No need for expensive rollers IMO.
gottabirdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gottabirdog:
I have dragged the back of so many T.T.'s that I have just welded skids on the back of our 35'Excel. The rear steps to the kitchen and the rear stabilizers are very vulnerable on our rig. Skids were made from 1/2" X 2" mild steel. No need for expensive rollers IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Yes folks, I am having the same problem with my 35 MKO. My TV is hooked level and I have put a roller in the trailer hitch to soften the blow and it seems to work but I know I will drag one or more off at some point.

The new trailers have stabilizers closer to the wheels which solves a lot of problems. However, we love our 05 MKO and do not plan to replace it anytime soon.

Solutions welcome.

Bill Cramer
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
clspds,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I recently raised my pin box 1 notch(2 inches) and took it for a test run.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, did you need to use a jack or lift when you raised your pin box? Was it a 'one man' job?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
clspds,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I recently raised my pin box 1 notch(2 inches) and took it for a test run.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, did you need to use a jack or lift when you raised your pin box? Was it a 'one man' job? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Virgil, I know you were asking Paul the question...but you know me, I gotta chime in!

I have changed out my pinbox twice by myself. I use the tailgate of my truck (you would use your flat bed). Raise the trailer and back up your truck so that the pin is over the bed and then lower your trailer as necessary. Remove pinbox bolts and raise or lower your trailer as needed. Your just letting the landing gear do the work for you. No heavy lifting or grunting! You do, however, need to be patient and take your time lining up bolt holes, sometimes they line up easier than other. This worked for me. HTHs Tom

P.S. Oh yeah.....I almost forgot....tell your bride what your doing if she's inside the rig. The going up and down without her knowledge gets 'em pretty excited!

Also may want lift your rear stablizers while doing this project ....ask me how I know.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
MakinSmoke,
Yes, it was a one man job and easier than I expected. I removed the 2 front bolts (1 each side) and inserted 1/2" bolts w/ nuts in each hole. Removed the rest of the bolts. Bumped the back of the hitch up to the next hole. (Mine moved very easy.) Inserted bolts in the 2 back holes. Removed the 1/2" bolts in the front, raised the hitch up in the front inserted all bolts, tightened and re-torqued. Job done.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
Paul,
See how easy this stuff is when you know what to do! Thank you both. I think I can do this now. Am going to try it later today. Will report back. Thank you both again for taking the time to explain this to me.