Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
We don't always have an internet connection.
Good thing.....we couldn't take much more of you!!!!! Just funnin' ya!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #16

I'm puzzled. Why on earth would PI use flimsy little straps like that to hold the heavy tanks? This is not rocket science, and it would be a simple step for the factory to use heavy straps, like everyone else uses. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
I'm puzzled. Why on earth would PI use flimsy little straps like that to hold the heavy tanks? This is not rocket science, and it would be a simple step for the factory to use heavy straps, like everyone else uses. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Roy
Roy, I asked the same question when I learned of the straps they used. I had heavier straps installed on mine after I found out.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #18

How big of a concern is this? I'm a new owner of a 2006 30RSO.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Not a problem, unless you fill your tanks to full and/or try to travel any further than across the street to dump! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #20

OK, Got it! After posting the above question, I did a search and found the thread from 2013 on the subject of tank suspension (currently 117 posts). So, guess I may have a project ahead of me when I get back home to Santa Fe. Ralph in Moriarty, NM has done all the service on this rig. I hope I can get some history of work done on it, it would definitely be worth the drive down (only about 50 miles from my home).

Trailer hasn't been on the road since my purchase.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
I had all three tanks at 100% when I departed my campsite last weekend at Cedron Creek COE and drove to the dump station about a mile away. I camp like this regularly. The tanks did not split or drop. That is why I had HD straps and HD auxillary straps installed. I would have paid PI to factory install them if it was an option.

FYI the 3500HD SRW did not collapse under the load....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
FYI the 3500HD SRW did not collapse under the load....
Are you trying to start something up again??? After last time....I thought you learned your lesson!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #23

FYI last week I filled my fresh water tank to full capacity with grey and black tanks empty. Drove 150 miles over some bumpy highways with no problem. I did worry though.

5 days later I traveled another 150 miles. Fresh water was at 22%, Black at 70%, and Gray at 55%. No problem. Because of the few comments from other Excel owners I did worry but both trips were without incident.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
I agree 100%. The 3/4" straps seem inferior to the 1 1/2" straps that a few have added and I plan to change mine out soon. BUT, has anyone actually experienced a failure. Not just loosing a strap due to corrosion, but actually having a water tank drop to the ground or drop enough to tear the under pinning or break a pipe? Just asking - not trying to stir the pot.

Don
Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Don,
If you do a search you'd find some of us have had the failure first hand. My first rig the grey tank straps and tank failed I believe in 2007. Straps broke and some of the screws pulled out of the wood work. Grey tank split at the flange seam. My 10 model broke the straps prior to getting the new 2012. I have supported over the belly blanket like so many other have done here. I don't fill my tanks completely full and only travel a short distance to dump with only a max of about 75%. Overkill, maybe, but I'm not as young as I used to be and putting in tanks in a RV park ain't much fun, especially when it's cold and the wind is blowing. So far so good. Just sayin' rockin'
Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Rockin' - I went back and did indeed find posts that proved there was a significant potential issue here. Thanks for setting me on the straight path. I will have SC check my supports next week along with other items.

Regards,
Don
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don, was great to meet ya today @ SC. We will move the rig over there tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they can pull my slide motor to see what parts they need and have them overnighted. They have scheduled my work for Wednesday only. If parts dont make it they are saying I would have to come back! Oh and the other parts that were ordered July 16TH are not here yet either but was told they will be here Wednesday! Ugh!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Bill,
Enjoyed dinner with you and Char tonight. The best Mexican food since we left Texas. I hope they get you repaired and on the road tomorrow. But more than that I hope they get started on my rig.

Bon

Tags
tank