Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We just purchased our dual LNB dish and tripod from our local satellite company. About half the price of CW. Has anyone ever had their dish and tripod stolen while away from the camp site or at night? With the time it takes to set up it seems a shame to have to tear it down and lock it up every night.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We just purchased our dual LNB dish and tripod from our local satellite company. About half the price of CW. Has anyone ever had their dish and tripod stolen while away from the camp site or at night? With the time it takes to set up it seems a shame to have to tear it down and lock it up every night.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With the time it takes to set up it seems a shame to have to tear it down and lock it up every night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall ever hearing of a theft, and I have never seen anyone take their dish down at night.

Not to say it has never happened, but it would be rare.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I have been RVing now for about eight years and have never had anything stolen. We have always had a dish out. We were first with Direct TV when we were in Alsaka and then later switched to Dish where we could get our local stations at home. We have always found that most RVer's are very watchful and vigilant of our site when we are gone. We have about 100,000 miles of RVing in the last eight years. I would never worry about your dish being stolen.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Even if someone did take the dish & tripod, what could they do with it without the receiver & remote?

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #6

Yes, there is quite a bit of theft in RV parks. Just ask around and you will hear everyone that works there tell you to lock up your valuables.
Where you park makes you more or less vulnerable. We had our van broken into twice at the end of last year while in Las Vegas. We had a neighbor "save" a chair of ours that someone walking by stopped to give it a look. The question is one of value. The DirecTV/Dish Network dishes are so common and cheap that they would not have much of a re-sale market. However, if you can grab a dish and sell it on E-Bay or Craig's list you've got an extra $30.
The new Vu Cube appears to be a great example of this. A dish that is simply placed on the ground and left there. At $600+ bucks, that's a lot of money to leave sitting around.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where you park makes you more or less vulnerable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this is the answer. Just use common sense. You can drive into a park and make a judgement call that will be about 80% accurate. If it looks like people who live in the park and the surrounding area are going to steal, then they probably will. If it looks like they won't, then there is an 80% chance that they won't. There are always anomalies in human behavior but nothing takes the place of your good commom sense.

We have been RVing for 3 years and we backpacked for 15 years before that and we have never had anything stolen. We've been out west and up to Alaska and to Maine and wintered in Florida. Nothing stolen but I try to use common sense. If the neighborhood looks rough, we don't leave anything out and only stay there for as long as necessary.

Go have fun.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #8

I camp at a High end park once in awhile and they had a string of thefts a couple years in a row, a couple tripods, fifthwheel gates,coolers etc.This place was the last campground you would think this could happen.They think it was locals sneaking in at night.So theft will happen,you take your chances.They are not a high dollar item,so I dont worry.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #9

Boy, I wish it was as easy as not staying at some of the less desirable campgrounds! It's more an issue of staying where a bunch of thieves hang out. Even when we lived in The Great Outdoors in FL, a high-end gated RV community, there as theft there and even a murder. If you park a bunch of very expensive RV's with a bunch of very expensive toys (computers, TV's, DVD's, VCR's, etc) in an area where the bad guys hang out you are going to need to properly secure your belongings just as you would at your house. The RV park in Vegas is a very nice park (Sam's Town) and security patrols the park by car and bicycle but the bad guys know when they are there and when not.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Speaking of Sam's Town in Vegas , our dog woke us up in the middle of the night Growling, I looked out the window and someone was trying to steal our bikes. I hollered at him and he ran off. Called Security they said it happens often. They have a 6 foot wall around the park, thiefs just hop over, steal stuff, throw it over the wall, hop back over,and be gone. This was the only time we have had a problem in many years of of RVing. You just never know. The new problem is the stealing of FUEL. Be aware.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I won't leave anything unsecured that I couldn't afford to lose. Doesn't make any differnce where I'm parked.

I have no idea where MakinSmoke got his 80% judgment call.

In Myrtle Beach I once found a cooler under the rear of my motorhome. Opened the cooler and it contained pop. Later I heard a fellow parked in the row behind me and a couple spots down say his cooler was gone. Ended up kids took the cooler, removed all the beer, left the pop and placed the cooler under my motorhome.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far, we've been lucky. No theft in 2 years. Lawn chairs, mountain bike and sat dish are left on a regular basis. I still believe there are more honest people in our lives than not. For those who want what I have more than I do, I have insurance.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fixintodoit:
Speaking of Sam's Town in Vegas , our dog woke us up in the middle of the night Growling, I looked out the window and someone [QUOTE]

Just last week, DW and I were staying at Lake Mead. We thought we'd drive into Vegas for a day, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Then she picked up a local paper. Lead story - Las Vegas drops to #2 nationwide in auto theft. Second in the nation! Like that should assure me.

Don't know about you, but I own a pretty fancy and desirable truck. (Hmmm, maybe not as desirable now with the price of diesel. A silver lining!) In addition to the loss from my deductible and lower value from the insurance company, think of the time and effort to replace it and the inconvenience of being stuck somewhere until you do.

We thought about it. Vegas versus another beautiful day at Lake Mead? Easy decision really. Probably saved some money too.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
Even if someone did take the dish & tripod, what could they do with it without the receiver & remote?

L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to Best Buy and you can get a new receiver and remote...not a problem there....I would worry about it..I had someone try to get into my bays one night while I was sleeping. We were in a KOA at Williamsburg,VA, luckly the alarm scared them off. Police said that they were probably looking for my outside TV...Fooled them, on my Monaco the TV is up inside of the slide not in a bay.....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote