Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Maybe I'm the last one to figure this one out, but my Thetford toilet in my 07 Excel Limited has been slowly leaking water down. You have to let the pedal snap, up and the valve slam shut like the breach on a .45 acp.
Sometimes this had to be repeated 7 or 8 times to get it to hold water. Nice, at 2:00am ! Thetford sent me new seals after I described the problem to them. Nice people. Any way, there is a plastic shroud around the toilet that is held in place by a pair of industrial rubber bands. This on mine was the problem. The shroud came down just far enough to keep the pedal from fully rising, and letting the slide valve fully seat. I took out my trusty grinder and removed 1/4 in. of material at the top of the notch above the pedal. The toilet has worked perfect ever since. Beats taking the toilet out and disassembling it to put in a new seal. Hope this helps someone else with this same problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Maybe I'm the last one to figure this one out, but my Thetford toilet in my 07 Excel Limited has been slowly leaking water down. You have to let the pedal snap, up and the valve slam shut like the breach on a .45 acp.
Sometimes this had to be repeated 7 or 8 times to get it to hold water. Nice, at 2:00am ! Thetford sent me new seals after I described the problem to them. Nice people. Any way, there is a plastic shroud around the toilet that is held in place by a pair of industrial rubber bands. This on mine was the problem. The shroud came down just far enough to keep the pedal from fully rising, and letting the slide valve fully seat. I took out my trusty grinder and removed 1/4 in. of material at the top of the notch above the pedal. The toilet has worked perfect ever since. Beats taking the toilet out and disassembling it to put in a new seal. Hope this helps someone else with this same problem.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Good info Roger! Thanks. I had to replace the seal in mine (they had an updated seal on the 05 models). Just a couple of pointers to prolong seal life. 1). Never use harsh cleaners in the bowl. I use the store brand version of scrubbie bubbles. 2). Use Thetford seal conditoner (liquid) about once a month. Let stand all day while your out sight seeing. I installed the new seal about 2 years ago and all is well. The original seal lasted 6 months and really started acting up about 3 months from new. Just FYI.
Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Roger. I have the same problem on my new trailer. Dealer said "They all act that way." Guess not.

Now where's that Dremel grinder?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
we just experinced this problem for the first time yesterday.

This Thetford seal conditioner. . .something special from Thetford?? or available at CW?? or what?

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Doug,

Go back about 3 or 4 post and read my thread. But to answer your question. Thetford seal conditioner is available at MOST RV parts stores and CW. Haven't ever found it at Wally world. HTHs Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
This is a epilogue on how it was finally fixed to work so it didn't leak down. By letting it snap up for a couple of months, it finally broke off the axis pin that the inverted cup rides on. Called Tetford, so sorry, toilet is now junk and can't be fixed. After buying a new one, just like the one broke and installing it, this one works smooth as silk. And yes Peterson did reimburse me for the new toilet.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Hi. I get a rubber glove and some petrolum jelly and smear around the bottom of the bowl where the seal ball slides across and it works smooth as silk for a long time.
brassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I don't think I would use anything with petroleum in it on that gasket. i would get some silicone grease ans apply it as you were doing.