Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

This may appear elementary to some, but how do you tighten the many hose connections in the basement. My floor is damp and I thought it was coming in from the door, but I believe it may be a loose connection somewhere. Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Last time I had a damp floor it was a leaky connection at the water pump. Good luck! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Highly suspect places to check is the whole house filter area(if so equipped) and water pump area as B2 mentioned. Those are worm clamps and seem to be first to leak. The rest are the PEX clamps which require a special tool to remove and replace. Usually can be rented at the home improvement stores. On later model Excels (maybe 08 and later...I believe hoses are connected as a crimped method made into the hose itself. Not sure of repair procedure on those. Those are the ones with red and blue hoses. Don't forget to check hose connections where they connect to faucets, etc. HTH rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Check out the shower drain area while someone is using it. After many service calls for a damp basement area (even extending to the area behind utility center)after this last trip to Smith Center I urged them to put a flexible boot in the drain of the shower to provide some "give" to it. Seems to have done the trick as we are finally dry. Might want to check this area out in addition to the other areas that folks have mentioned.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago, we had a water leak and when we tracked it down, the line would only leak when some ons stood in the far end of the shower or took a bath and sat at the far end. The pressure on the tub, put a little tension on a short water line and it would produce a small spray. Out of the tub and no leak. The leak was due to two things....a short line in a bind and a pinched quad-washer in the fitting.

But you do need to check the tightness of the water lines ever so often as they will work loose.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I put one of these water leak detectors in the basement and another under the water heater. I think someone on this forum had suggested it.

I could have used them in my stixandbrix too, but too late!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #7

Thank you to all who responded. I think today I know where it is leaking. I put a cloth on the basement floor and today when I took a shower, there was a damp circle on the cloth right under the pipe in the basement. I have noticed the water is slow to go down the drain.
Now, the question is, how do you tighten the connections when there is a sheet of plywood there so I cannot get into the pipe?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
It may not be a tightening issue. Watch where it leaks while someone is in the shower using it. Sometimes what happens is it leaks up near the floor connection due to the weight of someone standing in the shower vs the rigidity of the piping coming out. That is why we had the service guys put a rubber boot on the line below the shower...to provide some "give" in that area plus they put in a new drain and re-caulked the whole thing. I know it is a frustrating problem....we dealt with it for almost 2 years before it got resolved. Good Luck.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote