Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 04:29 PM   #1

Tire Concerns

Until last year I only had one blow-out tire failure in almost 20 years of RVing. Two-year old right rear Hankook TH22 215/75R 17.5 tire went last April. I had procrastinated on reinstalling my TST TPMS, trying to get the Chevy ones to work with the truck and got stuck without a breaker bar to loosen really tight lugs. Got the TPMS and a 48" breaker bar quickly onboard after that. Now I’ve had a second failure. Tire remained mostly intact with a partial section tread between the groves missing and some sidewall damage.

When I departed for FL last week one sensor was not reading correct. Kept reading 89 pounds and my pressure checks told me that was incorrect. Don't you know that tire blew but I checked pressure in the AM and ran my usual 100 PSI. This was the left front and the previous failure was right rear. An exit was close, I was able to limp off at 5 MPH to a parking lot and mounted the spare using the rear levelers and the be prepared breaker bar.

The Hankook inflation chart says 100PSI should support 4010#. My 17500GVW trailer weighs 16500#. Even using the GVW weights with 20% pin weight we should be at 14000# rear or 7000# per axle and 3500# per wheel. The Hankooks always experienced a pretty big pressure jump from cold but I had nothing to compare them to. I'm beginning to question the them after riding with a Hercules spare on one wheel. I had to go with with a Hercules Strong Guard HRA for a quick replacement last year. I ran with the Hercules on one wheel for quite a few miles and the info from the TPMS was surprising. The Hankooks had a huge difference in cold to operational pressure and temp. I ran a little higher pressure to start, 103 PSI on all and the Hercules reached 121 PSI and 84º. The Hankooks I had working sensors on went to 126 and 130 PSI. Temp difference was higher, 104º and 106º. The temps actually climbed after I got off the interstate and was on local roads at 45-50 MPH.

I've booked a weigh appointment for individual wheel weights before we make the long trip home. At this point I doubt if I'll stick with the Hankooks. The tread pattern is unusual, like slicks with three grooves and those high pressures and even higher temps vs the Hercules have me suspect on those tires. I might just add three of the Hercules with a Hankook spare. They seem to get decent reviews and local tire guy told me he sells a lot of them for trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	384141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	384142  

Name:	Tire 3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	384143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	384145  

BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2023, 10:20 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Wow, you are living right. That could have done so much damage. I think I would do the same and part ways with the remaining tires.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:07 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Brad,
I'm not seeing the Hercules Strong Guard HRA. What do you think of the Hercules H-901 ST (95134), or the Carlisle CSL 16 (6H08111). Had a dealer try to steer me towards the Hankook TH31s, but told him I wanted to stay clear of them.

Did you change to the 17.5 rim, or did your trailer come with those from the factory?

How is Florida?

Mark
Old 01-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #4

Mark,
The 17.5's were a factory option from Peterson when we purchased.

Florida is great compared to cold, gray PA.
Enjoying lots of warm sunny days here at Markham Park in Sunrise, FL. Wonderful county park with big sites, full hook up, canal waterfront, lots of activities and extend stays allowed.

The HRA was a recommendation from the tire dealer who replaced my blown Hankook TH-22 last year. I was going to use it as a spare so I went with it.

I knew I wanted matching tires on all wheels and looked into the HRA a little more since I had one. It's a commercial truck tire in many sizes but seems to be used on motorhomes and trailers frequently.
https://www.herculestirescommercial....ong-Guard-H-RA

Newer design than the 901 and from my limited research got better reviews. The local tire shop said he put a lot of Hercules on trailers, priced reasonably too. I only ran 150 miles on them but the pressure and temp increase from cold was lower than the Hankooks. Talked it over with the tire guy and we started these out a little higher at 110 PSI, higher than needed is better than under inflated and running at 100 PSI might have contributed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FL 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	384711   Click image for larger version

Name:	FL 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	604.7 KB
ID:	384712  

Name:	FL 3.jpg