Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
This is for all TKE owners. I have a 35 ft TKE, the other day we put out the slides at a rv dealer in northern Calif to have the refer door fixed on the wonderful Norcold warrenty. As we ran out the curb side slide, we heard a loud crack! The lower drawer beside the fireplace had jiggled out about 7 in. . The slide going out caught the drawer and bent the drawer slides, broke the drawer box and , worst of all, bent then cracked the end side wall lip that bottoms out on the inside of the fiver wall! No oak trim was shattered, and the dealer I was at jumped on it replaced all of the broken slide out plywood. He did a great job. I was to peeved to even look at, it let alone start to fix it.
I always make sure that these drawers are shut tight before we run in the slides, and they were. But the spring / roller catch thing on the back of the drawer is just marginal for holding it in on a bumpy road. I wish Excel would put a locking mechanism on these drawers. It would cost almost nothing, and you can do catastrophic damage with the powerful hydraulics on the side wall mechanism. i have installed positive locks on these drawers, never again! YOU ARE WARNED, PUT ON A POSITIVE LOCKING DEVICE ON THESE DRAWERS, OR YOU COULD BE REAL SORRY !!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This is for all TKE owners. I have a 35 ft TKE, the other day we put out the slides at a rv dealer in northern Calif to have the refer door fixed on the wonderful Norcold warrenty. As we ran out the curb side slide, we heard a loud crack! The lower drawer beside the fireplace had jiggled out about 7 in. . The slide going out caught the drawer and bent the drawer slides, broke the drawer box and , worst of all, bent then cracked the end side wall lip that bottoms out on the inside of the fiver wall! No oak trim was shattered, and the dealer I was at jumped on it replaced all of the broken slide out plywood. He did a great job. I was to peeved to even look at, it let alone start to fix it.
I always make sure that these drawers are shut tight before we run in the slides, and they were. But the spring / roller catch thing on the back of the drawer is just marginal for holding it in on a bumpy road. I wish Excel would put a locking mechanism on these drawers. It would cost almost nothing, and you can do catastrophic damage with the powerful hydraulics on the side wall mechanism. i have installed positive locks on these drawers, never again! YOU ARE WARNED, PUT ON A POSITIVE LOCKING DEVICE ON THESE DRAWERS, OR YOU COULD BE REAL SORRY !!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Roger,

Sounds like you are not the only one. Evan0810 (Ed) had the same issue. This got hidden in an unrelated thread. Check it out....I think it's about the 3rd post down the page. Please keep us updated as to the final resolution of this issue. Do you have any pix? Please explain what you're talking about regarding "positive lock mechanism" Thanks. Click on TKE Cabinet Issue Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
We experienced much the same thing before we got our TKE home from the dealership! Fortunately was able to hear the binding of wood in time to get off the slide switch, just pulled the bottom of the curbside faceing a bit. We installed a 1"x1" piece of velcro behind the drawer facings and haven't had a problem since.
Where would we be without velcro and Gorilla tape!
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Roger,
On our first trip, the middle drawer was out on our first stop and destroyed the glides, pulled the facia loose at the bottom splintered the frame. On the next stop, the computer drawer was out and was destroyed. The bottom the cabinet in the bathroom fell off. I fixed every problem but the splintered frame myself. Couldn't do that because I wasn't pulling a trailer for my planer, jointer and table saw. Home depot carries the same drawer glides as original. Do I blame PI for this? Not really, though I do expect them to pay for repairs. Nobody can expect drawers to stay in place on these roads. In my previous post, I picked on Texas and Arkansas, but none are immune to criticism. It is a shame that we put (I think) 14 men on the moon, but can't build a highway. When we entered Illinois from the south yesterday, I hit a patch coming onto a bridge that sent the front wheels of the truck airborne. My wife swears the rear wheels came off the ground also. I was doing 58mph in a 55 limit. We had taped everything shut w/ painters tape prior to leaving and only the medicine cabinet door came open.
I am curious about what you used also.
Tom, coming through Austin, where it is 2-lane on I35, I hit a chunk of tire laying in the road that flipped up and broke the fiberglass at the bottom of the basement on the curbside. It was hit it or possibly kill the lady in the white T-bird next to me. This is why I discovered that I like Sangria on this trip.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:42 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Ed,

You have had your fair share of bad road issues. We, too, have been accross some really bad ones. Won't bore with the details, but after about 40,000 miles of pulling the Journey....we have slowed down to the point of being ridiculous. The worst road we've hit is on 75 just south of West Branch, MI, The concrete breaks and dips are unbelieveable. The refer lost all the stuff in the door. The florescent ceiling light covers came off and rear kitchen cabinet doors came open and everything came out, even with the guard bars installed!!! Even chipped one of my Dollar Store wine glasses! When the road is real bad it's 30 or 40 MPH on the highway. We do TRY to seek out better road, but it's hard sometimes. Bryan will not like this....but, I may consider Mor/Ryde suspension on our next one. We'll see.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I wonder if Sangria tastes better out of a Dollar Store wine glass than out of a Dixie cup.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Ed,

I can tell...I like you a lot! Sounds like this ain't your first rodeo! Sangria is great, but a little sweet 'bout the third bottle!

Keep up the good work there buddy!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Is washing the rig in the rain considered a bit an**???......cause that what I'm doing here in beautiful Shawboro NC! Got get back after it!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Is washing the rig in the rain considered a bit an**???......cause that what I'm doing here in beautiful Shawboro NC! Got get back after it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I see nothing wrong with that. I did the exact same thing this AM.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Ed
i know what you mean about the roads. I got my drawers to stay in by putting some kind of brass spring loaded roller ball catches behind the drawers. And then some industrial velcro on the inside drfawer fronts for good measure. Got them at Calif Rv. in Redding Ca. Never saw anything like them before at home Depot or Lowes.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Roger,

Some Pix would be nice!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clspds:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Is washing the rig in the rain considered a bit an**???......cause that what I'm doing here in beautiful Shawboro NC! Got get back after it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I see nothing wrong with that. I did the exact same thing this AM.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Now I really feel better....heck you as goofy as me....
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
What is wrong w/ us? It is 52 deg and raining here and I just got home from scrubbing bugs off the front cap. I tried not to miss very many of them.