Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Toilet flush valve leaking by

My Thetford toilet flush valve is leaking by slowly filling the bowl. I will be calling Thetford in th morining but thoight I would post here and see what bounces back. I'm thinking there must be a bad seat or O ring in the valve or maybe you just replace the whole valve. I have read that this was a common problem for a while.. What say you?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02
My Thetford toilet flush valve is leaking by slowly filling the bowl. I will be calling Thetford in th morining but thoight I would post here and see what bounces back. I'm thinking there must be a bad seat or O ring in the valve or maybe you just replace the whole valve. I have read that this was a common problem for a while.. What say you?
We already replaced our valve because of a leak. They didn't hesitate to send us a new one. It's easy to fix. Have fun!
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Tim. Was urs leaking on the floor or leaking by to the bowl?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Have had 2 valves bad on 2 different rigs. Both were leaking water on the floor. Like 99 said.... easy to replace. I took my old valves apart and they are not repairable as it ruins them to take them apart. Not a very robust assembly IMHO. I'm amazed that it functions as well as it does.

One thing to think about.....what is your water pressure coming into the coach? If pressure is too high that could cause the problem.

You don't have a binding ball valve/seal causing the valve to stick open???....if its pretty bad that can cause the valve to remain open and run.

If this is your first time to replace a water valve.....when you get the toilet out. Take a pic of the water valve before you start working on it for future reference. The return spring has to be put back exactly the way it came off or the water fill function won't work right (adding fill water without flushing).

HTHs. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
thanks rockin. i dont have a pressure regulator or gauge but i did think of that and chocked down the city supply valve.. still dribbled in. I will be calling Thetford in th am.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
When you call Thetford make sure and have the serial number on the very back of the toilet near the floor. You have to take off the plastic shroud to gain access. They won't talk with you without it. Use a mirror to see it....remember the numbers are backwards in the mirror. rockin'

PS.......if you have any issues I have pix of doing a complete O/H of these toilets. I can email them to you.......for a price....like a box!!! Just kiddin' rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear toilet view intact.JPG
Views:	1023
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	22882  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
thanks rockin. i dont have a pressure regulator or gauge but i did think of that and chocked down the city supply valve.. still dribbled in. I will be calling Thetford in th am.
Chocking down the suppy bib.....don't cut it. It will still have the pressure and only restrict the flow....only a pressure gauge going into the rig will tell you what you need to know....you ol' fire lizard!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Did you try cleaning it? Sometimes some stuff will get caught in the seal. Use a toothbrush, not the DW's, and go around the seal area. If that doesn't work then you will know you need to replace the valve seals.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submustang View Post
Did you try cleaning it? Sometimes some stuff will get caught in the seal. Use a toothbrush, not the DW's, and go around the seal area. If that doesn't work then you will know you need to replace the valve seals.
Sorry, I don't recommend using a toothbrush or anyother brush on the Thetford blade seal. It's Teflon coated and is easily damaged to brushing and the like. When you brush away the coating....that's what causes the binding of the ball valve.

In the unlikely event of seal cleaning, (usually caused by a uninformed non RV user) using a glove on your hand and running a finger around the underside of the seal will remove any debris that caused leaking. rockin'
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Less than $30 gets one a new valve.....mine took less than 20 mins to r'n'r,...........
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #11

The Thetford valve in my 5er leaked on the floor too. I took the toilet out, removed the valve, took it apart and applied water-proof marine grease. That lasted a year. The second and last time, I replaced the O-rings from my spare O-ring bin and applied more marine grease. It's a balancing act to get the valve part back in it's hole and the actuating arm attached, but it can be done... with a lot of patience. I know they are cheap, but I like fixing things, just to see if I can.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
it's not leaking on the floor but rather leaking by the closed water valve and filling the bowl. New valve on the way.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

Good luck. If it's always done it, it might be a linkage problem.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Most likely the water valve. We replaced them three times in our 08, and one was replaced by the tech at PI--he put it in and it leaked from the get-go. He suggested to Ralph they throw the whole cupboard full of them away LOL.

We also had one of the techs at the dealer where we bought the new rig indicate that they have to keep a large stock of thetford water valves on hand as they need replacing often. And of course, the real fun happens when you go to bed unaware that it is leaKing, then wake up to an overflowing toilet and water everywhere. You eventually develop a habit of standing and staring into the bowl each time you flush to make sure the water has quit running.

The tech at the dealers told us that they do not see the water valve problem with the Sealand (we shall see, I guess).
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote