Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
tow truck

We are in the process of buying a 09 36TKE. Can a 1 ton dually handle this rig?
Thanks
sedonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You've opened up a hotly debated topic "sedonacouple" and you're sure to get answers that span the range of 'possibilities'. IMHO, a 1-ton is the minimum and I prefer either a Class 6, 7, or 8 truck for 5th-wheels approaching/exceeding 18K. For the cost of a 1-ton pickup truck, you can buy a very nice larger TV -- that handles better, rides more comfortable, and gets the same or better fuel mileage.

I won't go into the specifics at this time -- I'm sure this topic will draw responses for both side of the fence.
Later,
John
Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having a 35' TKE, I agree with chief on needing a larger TV for the larger trailers. I would get a bigger TV if we upgraded to a longer RV
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
We have a 1 ton towing a 33 RSE and I consider us at the edge for safety. My next truck will be a class 8. Cheaper than a new pick up and a lot more safer. I have seen people tow a 35 ft with 3/4 ton. Any diesel will tow most any trailer, but you need to remember that stopping is the critical part of the equation.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Look at the weight ratings. There's a group that weighs RV and publishes good info, but I can't find it.

If you fulltime, you'll be marginal on total weight. Most estimates for FT stuff = 2,500 - 3,000#. We fulltime in our 33RSE and are 900# under our max.

Easy answers for a 1 ton.
Disc trailer brakes.
Diesel engine.
Dually.
Tow package.

Seldom considered factor - wheelbase of your TV, according to the RV Consumer Group. In their book How to Tow Safely, they publish a chart of TV wheelbase to length of trailer. For my 33', I could get away with the Ford supercab, rather than the extended cab. Likely you will need the extended cab at 35'.

Or not.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
You're getting some good info here.....the answer is NO! Listen to the folks above. We've pulled with a 1 ton Tug and L35 FLR Excel for 4 years in FTing....ain't enough truck on the hills. I would never pull without disk brakes on the trailer ever again.

Let's make it real simple....go up on truck or down on the trailer. Good luck! My highest limit would be a 33ft Excel (not loaded with cargo to the max) on a 1 ton. And it would be a F350 with Tow Boss (4.30 gear). Combined Gross of 26,000 lbs. Good luck.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We pulled our first Excel (a 2002 33RKO Limited) with a 2002 Ford F-350 diesel dually. The truck pulled the trailer fine, BUT, it was “white knuckles” going downhill in the mountains. The trailer weighed 14,720 lbs. with all our stuff (we are fulltimers) and the truck weighed 7,500 lbs. We were more than 2,000 lbs over the trucks GCWR of 20,000 lbs.

We now have a 2008 33TKE Limited. It weighs 15,960 lbs. with our stuff. We went with a MDT, not as much for the pulling, BUT for the stopping! Our combined truck/trailer weight is 30,660 lbs, which leaves about 25% of the truck's 40,000 GCWR. With engine braking and air brakes...no more “white Knuckles”.

Yes, the MDT costs more than a 1-ton pickup (about double), but will outlast several pickups. The motor is rated at 500,000 miles and we are only averaging about 18,000 miles per year. We should be able to pull just about any fiver we plan to buy in the future.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
"We are in the process of buying a 09 36TKE"

Congratulations and welcome to your new home. Most of us on here love our Excels and I think you will too. You sure picked out a beauty. I won't get into the TV debate. I'm not very good debates. I usually get in trouble. Think it is better for you just to see what I pull my L36CLO with.

Jump on in here and share your experiences with us.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonacouple View Post
We are in the process of buying a 09 36TKE. Can a 1 ton dually handle this rig?
Thanks
Please let us know what you decide for your tow vehicle -- great bunch of folks here and more than willing to share our Excel experiences.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
We have a 36RDO and pull with a 5500 and feel very comfortable going down steep hills. The exhaust brake is awesome and wouldn't be without it. We got our truck new...comes cab and chassis and then we designed the bed and had local welding shop build it. Price for whole thing was very reasonable as compared to what we've heard people have paid for a regular pick-up. Now, we don't have all the bells and whistles on Bertha that others might have but we love her and she gets er done. (We also have the bike lift on back so even more weight on the rig)
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #11

I'll let you know how we did with a F450 in a couple of weeks. David
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #12

I know a used HDT is cheaper than a new pickup. However, what about the following costs:

1. The cost to convert a HDT to tow a 5th wheel.
2. The cost for maintenance including oil and filter changes, coolant flush and fill, trans. flush and fill, brake job, etc.
3. Any other costs like insurance, license plate, etc.
Dutch_man39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_man39 View Post
I know a used HDT is cheaper than a new pickup. However, what about the following costs:

1. The cost to convert a HDT to tow a 5th wheel.
2. The cost for maintenance including oil and filter changes, coolant flush and fill, trans. flush and fill, brake job, etc.
3. Any other costs like insurance, license plate, etc.
1. Cheaper, even when you add in the cost to have a custom built bed put on.

2. Not that much higher than a diesal pickup. Considering you can go longer between service intervals. I have 3 oil filters on my Volvo engine

3. Cheaper. $450 per year.

A. Much safer to handle the heavy fulltime fifth wheel.
B. Better site view of the road.
C. No white knuckle driving in the hills or mountains.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You're getting some good info here.....the answer is NO! Listen to the folks above. We've pulled with a 1 ton Tug and L35 FLR Excel for 4 years in FTing....ain't enough truck on the hills. I would never pull without disk brakes on the trailer ever again.

Let's make it real simple....go up on truck or down on the trailer. Good luck! My highest limit would be a 33ft Excel (not loaded with cargo to the max) on a 1 ton. And it would be a F350 with Tow Boss (4.30 gear). Combined Gross of 26,000 lbs. Good luck.
We have the F350 with Tow Boss (4.30 gear) Crew Cab - Combined gross vehicle weight rating = 26k# - plus performance enhancements and disk brakes on the 35FLR. Although the Tow/Haul setting works pretty good at holding our downhill (down mountain) speed, we are at the comfort limit for this rig. Next TV will be bigger, or trailer will be smaller.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote