Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I have a power management system installed in my fifth wheel which is manufactured by Vena Engineering, see link. The panel meter is capable of monitoring AC current with the optional current sensing coil. I have two coils, one for each leg of the 50 amp circuit and they are fed to the panel meter through a double pole double throw switch. With this arrangement you should be able to monitor either leg for current being used at any given time, toggle to the other leg and monitor it.

Does anybody else have a system like this and does it work correctly? I have had problems with mine ever since I installed it. It will work fine for a while and then out of the blue when you toggle to the other leg it will quit working properly and read very low current draw when it is not low, i.e. shows 20 amps as 4 or 5. You can replace the coils and it will repeat the scenario. All the other parameters it monitors work perfect.

Vena Power Management Panel

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have a power management system installed in my fifth wheel which is manufactured by Vena Engineering, see link. The panel meter is capable of monitoring AC current with the optional current sensing coil. I have two coils, one for each leg of the 50 amp circuit and they are fed to the panel meter through a double pole double throw switch. With this arrangement you should be able to monitor either leg for current being used at any given time, toggle to the other leg and monitor it.

Does anybody else have a system like this and does it work correctly? I have had problems with mine ever since I installed it. It will work fine for a while and then out of the blue when you toggle to the other leg it will quit working properly and read very low current draw when it is not low, i.e. shows 20 amps as 4 or 5. You can replace the coils and it will repeat the scenario. All the other parameters it monitors work perfect.

Vena Power Management Panel

Bangs, Texas
Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Bob,

Sorry I'm no help on your situation.

I do believe you are more of a "gee-gaw" nut than even I am! My bride says I gotta have "everything" but you got me beat! No way I can keep up with you!! Ha. If you ever go FT.....OMG

I weighed Journey last week and she's now on a diet. No I'm not overweight as far as PI is concerned, but GCVW is a bit much for the 1 ton truck. Guess we need to start a Weight Watchers group for fifth wheels! All interested send your check to ..........
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Hurricaner (Sam) over on RV.NET's Technical Forum enlightened me to the fact that the unmonitored current transformer (CT) has to have the leads shorted together when it's not in use or it will be destroyed. I was using a double pole double throw (DPDT) (bought from Vena) which does not do that. Amazing what other RVers can help you with. Strange to me that Vena Engineering didn't have a fix for the problem and they have replaced the CTs five times in the last year . At any rate, there is a special rotary switch specifically made for this application, but it's not available from Vena. You can however, obtain one from K. Tech, Inc.

K. Tech, Inc

Bangs, Texas
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
This is what the Vina power panel looks like when it's installed in an MKO. Note the black switch above it, this is what switches between the two 50 amp legs of power.

Bangs, Texas
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
Hurricaner (Sam) over on RV.NET's Technical Forum enlightened me to the fact that the unmonitored current transformer (CT) has to have the leads shorted together when it's not in use or it will be destroyed. I was using a double pole double throw (DPDT) (bought from Vena) which does not do that. Amazing what other RVers can help you with. Strange to me that Vena Engineering didn't have a fix for the problem and they have replaced the CTs five times in the last year . At any rate, there is a special rotary switch specifically made for this application, but it's not available from Vena. You can however, obtain one from K. Tech, Inc.

K. Tech, Inc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bob,
Do you still have the "VENA" power monitor?
Below is the message I have been sending to anyone on the Forums that I hope can help me.
Hope you can shed some light on my problem.
I have a question on hooking up my VERA power monitor. My main reason for purchasing it was to monitor my current draw when at my son's home and plugged into a 20A u-ground garage outlet. I have a 50Amp Newmar coach.
If I put the current donut on the Motor Home neutral line, will this be accurate to monitor AC amps being drawn with the 50amp to 30 amp to the 15amp (u-ground adapter) being used?
I am just trying to keep the wife from popping the kids circuit breaker numerous times when we visit, don't know if it will help, but maybe.
Won't the neutral line have the total current being drawn by the Motor Home in this condition. (Even a 30amp pedestal with the 50amp to 30 amp adapter also)
I know the reading will not mean anything on a 50amp pedestal, except to trip the alarm set to 15 amps, about an incorrectly wired pedestal.
I've been using my "Smart Surge Protector" to check pedestals before plugging in but now after reading other sites, I can see things can change under load.
The only other way would be to purchase a second "VERA" unit and adding to two, but I won't be able to set the alarms to anything useful.
Two donuts and switching won't help either. (I have heard that the one not being used would have to be shorted to keep it from burning out (??)
I plan to try this as soon as the temp goes up down here, on a 15 amp cord, (Monitor the Neutral Line).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Walt, W1NHK
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
but GCVW is a bit much for the 1 ton truck. Guess we need to start a Weight Watchers group for fifth wheels! All interested send your check to .......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's looking for an HDT
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Here's the link to get into one SKIA.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index...5ebc43c&showforum=25

Cheaper than buying those GM products that you pushed.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roadwalt:

If I put the current donut on the Motor Home neutral line, will this be accurate to monitor AC amps being drawn with the 50amp to 30 amp to the 15amp (u-ground adapter) being used?

I am just trying to keep the wife from popping the kids circuit breaker numerous times when we visit, don't know if it will help, but maybe.

Won't the neutral line have the total current being drawn by the Motor Home in this condition. (Even a 30amp pedestal with the 50amp to 30 amp adapter also) I know the reading will not mean anything on a 50amp pedestal, except to trip the alarm set to 15 amps, about an incorrectly wired pedestal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. W1NHK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Progressive Industries management system on my unit and have no knowledge of the Vena other than what has been posted here.

That said, to answer part of your question on the neutral line, it will indicate the total amp usage when using a 50-30 dogbone adapter. As the red and black lines are connected by the dogbone, the neutral will read the total amperage used by both legs. When using the 50 amp cord alone, it will indicate a lower amperage and read the difference between the two.

I installed a Marinco Charge Inlet on my unit so I can have the 5th connected to power when parked at home and not wanting to run the 50 amp cord and adapters.

Having checked the amp draw on my unit and reading the amps used on the Progressive's monitor, it doesn't take much being turned on to reach 15 amps, as I'm sure you know.

Hope something helped.