Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
wall mount flat screen tv

I want to change the stationary wall mouny to an adjustable wall mount. Tried to search the subject-no luck. Anyone done that, if so I'm looking for info. Thanks in advance. B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Brewer & Nancy,
Appears, due to the lack of responses, you're going down an uncharted path with your TV adjustable wall mount idea. My recommendation would be to call Jack in the Service Center and get his input.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Assuming you have the Westinghouse LCD television, here is a link to their available wall mounts. Hope this helps? Wall Mounts
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer & Nancy View Post
I want to change the stationary wall mount to an adjustable wall mount. Tried to search the subject-no luck. Anyone done that, if so I'm looking for info. Thanks in advance. B
OK... I am not an Excel Owner - but sometimes the guys here treat me like I am-so I am going to chime in here.
We did change our TV out for an LCD and used a pivoting adjustable wall mount. We should have done a permanent flat mount - and the one big reason I say that is there really is no good way to have it locked in place while traveling without having a clean look to it. You can see a photo here along with how it was before and after here. I can vouch for how much things move while traveling down the road...
With that said - the articulating arm that we used was purchased at my favorite store - Costco.
Good Luck in whatever you decide.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
wall mount flat screen tv

picked this up on RV.NET forum. Mor/ryde has tv mounts. I didn't believe it either. Model TV1-006H has a a lock for stationary fix while traveling and will adjust both verticle and horizontally. New product and dealers will not have until May 25th +/-.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #6

I am of the opinion that some sort of bottom support on a TV is a good thing. My TV is mounted to the back bracket via 4 relatively small screws that go into metal inserts in the TV's plastic back panel. I could "wiggle" the TV a lot from the flex of the panel. The idea of 30 pounds of TV cantilevered by the mount bracket only and subjected to the bumps and motion of the motorhome was a concern. Therefore, the weight of my TV rests on a foam strip on the bottom of the TV cabinet. I would adjust the TV by a flex mount (if I had one) when parked, but I would find a way to lash it up solid while moving. Just my opinion. Maybe those mount points are stronger than I think, but I doubt the designers thought of RV installations when they built the TVs.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #7

MM has dealt with a situation that most of us with 'older units' will have to deal with in the future....that being to replace a 25-27" CRT TV with a newer flat screen.

My unit has a perfect fix 25" CRT that still works well and for the amount of time that we use the unit, not ready to spend the $$$ and time to replace it. Without getting a 26" LCD that would fix in the opening....would have to modify the openings width to get something bigger to fit and look like it belonged there but would still have to deal with the space left at the top or bottom.

I do like the swivel option in our unit for better viewing....like MM, would have to built a new backer to mount the unit. I thing I have one advantage in that the existing unit sits on a swivel base now that slides out....Maybe create something that attaches to the base that will support the newer LCD that allows it to be slide and rotated when in use.

The Mor/ryde, Model TV1-006H....http://www.morryde.com/pdfs/New/TV1-...structions.pdf ....that Brewer & Nancy mentioned seems like a nice unit in that it will lock the arm and has a larger mounting plate that attaches to the wall. MM did a very good job with the mounting of their unit. Heavy backer and appears everything 'bolted' in place. The instructions on the TV1 were very clear in their mounting requirements.

A 30# LCD mounted on an extendable/swivel arm will have a lot more force/pressure applied to the base mount screws that a wall mount unit wouldn't have. Depending on the area where your unit will be mounted....might have to provide additional backing other than the original paneling that might not provide the necessary holding for the mount screws....I view the top screws/fasteners to have the greater pressure/force applied.

Good luck with your selection.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I noticed this AM that Costco has three different Flat Screen TV mounts advertised in the flyer that takes effect next week.

You may wantto check there if you belong to Costco...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This our solution: http://picasaweb.google.com/sight04/32lcdtv

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35 N

Re-installed original bezel after Flat screen mod.

Articulating wall mount found on ebay $40.00 delivered. Lots of models to chose from.

Use double sided velcro to secure TV while underway no problem with TV moving around, black velcro blends in with TV. Be sure to place a small square on the TV edge to keep velcro from slipping down.

Velcro at Harbor Freight 30+ foot rool for $7 or /8 dollars.

Covered inside of space with Pergo & use as additional storage

If interested in other projects on our coach leave ( /32lcdtv ) off of
web address for more photos.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
This thread seemed like as good a place as any to post the link to my recent replacement of a 26" tube TV to a new HD, LED flat screen.

The old TV got thrown out of the cabinet onto the floor as I transitioned from the highway in a construction zone on I-80 around Gary, IN onto a bridge. The transition was very rough and our old TV was smashed to smitherines. Here is the new cabinet door, TV Mount and TV.
TV Cabinet door pictures by virgil47 - Photobucket
Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I replaced our wall mount for the flat-screen tv for our 2010 30RSO with the Mor/Ryde swivel mount. The new mount allows the tv to be pulled out from the rear wall and then rotated in either direction for a better viewing angle from the recliners or the sofa. There is no vertical adjustment for this mount. It locks in place when against the wall. Very beefy mount. No additional support for traveling etc. is required. Nice product.
The trick to removing the tv from the original wall mount requires a small mirror and a flashlight. Locate two phillips head screws along the bottom side of the mount behind the mounted tv. Remove these screws and the tv can be lifted off the wall by sliding it straight up.
The original wall mount appears to have been screwed into a 2x6 behind the rear wall for our 30RSO (according to my stud finder). I just replaced the original mount with the new mount using the same screws and the scrap piece of wood (to raise the mount over a wall seam) the original mount used. Make sure you get a least two screws along the top edge of the new mount. If I had it to do over again, I might replace the original scrap piece of wood with something prettier since with the tv pulled out the new mount is now visible (unlike the original wall mount).
The new mount is fairly stiff at first, but it gets easier with use to pull the tv away from the wall. Very solid mount. No worries about the tv either in use or when traveling.
Another bonus: you can now access the ports on the rear of the tv which is required to use the iPOD dock included with the original Panasonic tv, allowing the iPOD to be controlled by the tv remote and your spiffy surround sound system to play all your tunes. If you don't have an iPOD, you should get one.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

I have received two inexpensive and quality articulated mounts from the above web site.

My new LED 26" sits outside the original TV cabinet due to its size. Strips of Velcro fastening the bottom corners of the TV to the cabinet keep it from bouncing as we travel.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote