Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #1

I didn't intend to hijack the other thread.

But I still don't understand what is going on with our water heater. We do indeed have the 10 gal unit, and many times it performs normally. But once or twice a day the red light comes on and the water heater goes inoperative for several hours. As stated, this happens on any combination of gas or electric. According to the manual this is an abnormal condition. From the discussion in the other thread I get the impression that people think it is normal. Perhaps I was not clear about what I meant by overtemp. Any explanation would be welcomed.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #2

But I still don't understand what is going on with our water heater. We do indeed have the 10 gal unit, and many times it performs normally. But once or twice a day the red light comes on and the water heater goes inoperative for several hours. As stated, this happens on any combination of gas or electric. According to the manual this is an abnormal condition. From the discussion in the other thread I get the impression that people think it is normal. Perhaps I was not clear about what I meant by overtemp. Any explanation would be welcomed.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hotair:

But I still don't understand what is going on with our water heater. We do indeed have the 10 gal unit, and many times it performs normally. But once or twice a day the red light comes on and the water heater goes inoperative for several hours. As stated, this happens on any combination of gas or electric. According to the manual this is an abnormal condition. From the discussion in the other thread I get the impression that people think it is normal. Perhaps I was not clear about what I meant by overtemp. Any explanation would be welcomed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know the brand of your WH, but we have an Atwood 6gal LP/Electric DSI in our coach and recently the red led light on our power would come on intermittenly. Tech support of Atwood indicated a possible faulty thermostat/ECO and to replace it. They are sold as a pair @ about $15.00 and is a DIY job; takes about 20-30 minutes. Fixed our problem.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hotair, my first take is that you have a faulty circuit board that works intermittently--shutting down when a circuit becomes hot and then restarting when it cools down. Maybe "Wrongway" can shed some light on this as he deals with these issues daily.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Spoke with my service manager and read your post to him. He feels that is the thermostats on the front of the heaters. They are both the same thing, or the other thing that felt that it maybe is the circuit board. Everything in the operation of the type of water heaters is goes threw the CB., were before just only the the gas went threw the board the electric was seperate on the back side of the WH. I would have a service tech troubleshoot it for you and see what he comes up with. If they can place the thermostats on and operate and not have an issue, problem solved (Hopefully).
Now a FYI on the water heater. We have had several calls this past month with folks dewinterizing there units and using their water heater and getting a mix of hot and cold water in the hot water operation. What we have found is that the customers have been leaving open the hot and cold water facuet on the exterior shower/sprayer. What this is doing is opening the cold water line directly into the hot water line and mixing the water, just as if you have a mixing valve on the back of the water heater. Turn off the two knobs (Hot and Cold) and issue goes away. This is for anyone having this issue, and before spending time in driving to your service center, check this out. Not tring to change the topic at hand, but a little reading lititure.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:31 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hotair:

But I still don't understand what is going on with our water heater. We do indeed have the 10 gal unit, and many times it performs normally. But once or twice a day the red light comes on and the water heater goes inoperative for several hours. As stated, this happens on any combination of gas or electric. According to the manual this is an abnormal condition. From the discussion in the other thread I get the impression that people think it is normal. Perhaps I was not clear about what I meant by overtemp. Any explanation would be welcomed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remembered another thing on our WH when it was new. It would not heat on electric or propane at times, seemed it was after it rained. I went out and check my ground wire near the circuit board and it was clean and tight. Pulled the wire connector off and checked the female terminals for tension. OK. Males looked OK too. Put a bit of die electric silicone in each female terminal and plugged it in and the problem is gone. Die electric is great to keep low current circuit clean and moisture resistant. You can get a little tube of it at any auto parts store. I use it on any electrical connection I work with. HTH Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have had several calls this past month with folks dewinterizing there units </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I thought I would have that done by now, but, 9 inches of snow and 40 mph winds Tuesday have delayed it a bit. Today it was 56 degrees with mid sixties this weekend.

At least now I wont have one more issue to bug the dealer about Hate to have that pointed out to me by the techs, they love to get me when they can.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We thought we had the cat by the tail in March when we started to have 70 and 80 degree weather. First of April kicked us where it hurts, right in the shin. Below freezing temps at night. We had a few frozen water filters and facuets. HOPE that has come to a end. Spring has sprung in Iowa and looking forward to May Flowers. Have a great weekend.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote