RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

We have joined the family

If you are not on the Excel Facebook group, we have purchased a 2014 Limited Edition 34IKE recently and wanted to say hello. I may be bringing you questions to answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	308724  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Brian. Hope you enjoy your Excel. What year and model is it? Please up date your signature info.

We'll try to help you out with your questions! We've had 3 Excels in the 13 years of FTing. Health issues made us come off the road. What a life it was!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

We are buying a 2014 Excel Limited 34IKE. Just signed the bank loan papers and waiting to be able to get it to our home in Ohio. I do not have a truck yet to pull it so we are parking it and going to work on some things next year. Yes i need to update my signature soon.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Brian. Not to rush ya, but what type of truck were you thinking about? Depending on the weight you are right on the cusp for a dually for sure. If you weren't loading the rig up with a lot of stuff (IE washer/dryer), another words "light". You may could get by with a SRW for the short hauls. But if doing a lot of pulling across the states, you'll likely need a dually. We've always had a dually and glad we did. Pay attention to the payload and your tongue weight. Just sayin.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Yes, I have looked at the numbers and I believe a dually is the best bet. I am partial to GM diesel 3500. Not sure the exact tongue weight of this Excel fully loaded, but guessing 3800-4000 lbs. We plan to use it part-time at first, but eventually go full-time living on the road.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:18 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Very good choice Brian. Now you won't have the weight police on your butt! I'm a retired GM service engineer......so you got my vote on the 3500 Duramax. Our tongue was about 4200 as I had a 3 ton floor jack and some tools in the garage of our 33 ft Limited.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Brian, BTW I noticed you posted on FB about the micro convection unit. The original Dometic weren't much, that's why it's still not in there. The thing you need to do is measure the width of your opening and make sure your new unit has a over the stove fan in it. Same as home unit. Some folks deleted the regular oven for more storage space and some folks just didn't like the regular oven. Personally we had no problems with any of ours. I don't post on FB.....it's a long story.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #8

Thank you for all your advise. Seems the FB group is more active than here for answering questions, but I am glad to have two places for resources of knowledge. My wife and I learned about the full-time lifestyle back in the early 2000s from a couple workamping at a campground near Mammoth Caves. We owned a popup at the time and stated reading books and researching quality RVs at that time. Around 2004 we came across Excel and saw one at the PA show and visited the dealer to look more at them, so they have been on our radar for a long time.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #9

Super Cool, I have the same rig, however mine is black and almond. A choice I regret every day. The black looked so good when new but over time the black paint cracked, what is referred to as " Checking". I like the color you have... nice and cool.

I don't have facebook either for reasons related to past employment, but even as the activity here as slowed, I have found that just about any issue I run into I will find solutions here either by search or simply paging through the various topics.

Tom is an awesome resource, I think you will find his input invaluable. Although.... I have a SWD Ford F350 and haven't had any issues. Just came off a 3000 mile trip with no problems, I did get new tires, having two less tires saved me $600! Honestly, I would go with a Dually but live in a city and find it very difficult to park
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote