Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
JDT

Weight Gain (Not Me)

The last time I had our rig weighed was right after we got it 7 years ago. My hitch weight was 3050 with 12,500 on the axles. That was with a full load ready for a 5 week trip.

I recently weighed it again as we have made some changes. My hitch weight was 3070 and the axle weight jumped to 13,360. This was fully loaded for a trip we are on. That is an 860 pound gain on the axles but only 20 on the hitch. The percentage of hitch weight is close to 19% so guess that is okay but still trying to figure out how it gained that much weight. I have made a few changes since the initial weigh like adding a Winegard Trav'ler to the roof which is probably less than a hundred pounds. Maybe that Instant Pot weighs more than I think. We do have a rear kitchen model which puts the Samsung fridge and other appliances at the rear and might have some affect on the pin weight but that has not changed since the initial weigh.

My suspicion though is with the change to the MorRyde independent suspension. When we had it done a couple of years ago I remember thinking that it was a lot of heavy metal being added but thought it was offset by the loss of the Dexter axles. Maybe not. We mostly get a very smooth ride but I am wondering with my hitch weight being 18.6666666% of the total of 16,430 is that okay? I've always heard 20% is the sweet spot but maybe close is good enough.

As an FYI our GVWR for the Winslow is 17,500 so we are well under that figure and we have the 7K MorRyde IS. A little closer there but still good.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Jim,
The recommended percentage is 15% to 25% with 20% being the target percentage.

Did PI ever publish the max hitch weight the pinbox and frame can carry. The only info I have is the dry hitch weight of 2790#.

Taking the max recommended hitch weight percentage of 25% of GVWR, my max recommended hitch weight would be 4,687# (18,750 * 025%). My actual dry partially loaded hitch weight percentage is 21.8%. Loaded with only about 20 gal of fresh water and 10 gal in the black water, I am right at the 25% of hitch weight percentage.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
JDT

Carl, our published hitch weight was 2685 if I remember correctly. That was before adding a Splendide washer/dryer, my stuff in the storage bay, half full fresh water and all the wife's clothes. Pretty easy to get to my 3070. The only reason I did the post was I was just a little concerned about my pin weight being a bit to light. After thinking about it I guess if it was a problem I would feel it in the truck.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Jim,
Came across this link I had saved for calculating weights for a 5'ver.
May give you an idea where you stand weight-wise. (The trailer, not you.)

Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator
Old 08-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
JDT

Thanks, Carl. I'll play with that. We've actually been thinking about downsizing but can't come up with anything we like better and still have the features we want. I would like to eventually get back to a single rear wheel truck because most of my seat time in the dually is not towing. It can be a real pain sometimes. I'm getting older and while I still think I have good driving skills going smaller is tempting.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Thanks, Carl. I'll play with that. We've actually been thinking about downsizing but can't come up with anything we like better and still have the features we want. I would like to eventually get back to a single rear wheel truck because most of my seat time in the dually is not towing. It can be a real pain sometimes. I'm getting older and while I still think I have good driving skills going smaller is tempting.
Jim,
The newer F-350 SRW's 5'ver towing capability can handle your Winslow with a couple thousand pounds to spare. Payload/pin weight may need a little closer look but I still think it could handle the Winslow. If you're going to buy the new SRW truck anyway, try it with the Winslow first before deciding on a new trailer.
"Just sayin'." as Mr. Rockin' would say.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
JDT

Tom, I have given some thought to the single rear wheel and done a little research. I am really, really impressed with the new GM 2020 HD models that are just now hitting the ground. The new 3500 single has a 12,100 GVWR, maybe 12,300, not really sure, which is quite an improvement of last years 11,300. I did see a post on another forum where someone posted a picture of the payload sticker for a 3500 GMC Denali Duramax srw. It was over 3800 pounds. The best I saw on a Ford F350 diesel in a Platinum or King Ranch was between 3200 and 3300 pounds. 3800 is in the range I would need to be but the one thing stopping me from going shopping for a GM is they do not have adaptive cruise control. I have really come to appreciate it on my Ford and would hate to be without it.

I'm going to wait for Ford to come out with their numbers for their new Super Duty but they don't start production until November so not sure when that will happen. One of the reasons I bought my Ford over a GM was because of the safety features it had and GM did not offer. Now GM has caught up and may even best Ford with some things but really don't know why the adaptive cruise was not offered. I use it a lot when towing especially in heavy traffic.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Jim,
I thought 3,200 to 3,300 pounds was pretty light for a 2019 F-350 Diesel, so I did a little research online looking at Ford trucks. I was finding similar weights as you until I downloaded the 2019 Ford Super Duty Brochure and realized the payload and towing capacity info on each truck I looked at was based on the gasoline engine and not the diesel even though the truck had the diesel package. I looked at some of the trucks online at the local Ford dealerships in my area and found the payloads and towing capacities more in line with the brochure.

Below is the 2019 Ford Super Duty Brochure. The payload and towing capacities start on page 39. The payload can exceed 4000#'s depending of truck configuration.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...stalCode=76028
Old 08-05-2019, 05:42 AM   #9

Tires are the limiting factor, not vehicle specs
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #10

Kinda getting off topic of the weight gain to tow vehicles but they certainly relate. By no means am I an expert at anything, let alone all the vehicle tow ratings and what not, but I can tell you my SRW truck pulls and stops the trailer, even with a small second trailer with ease. I thought about having air bags installed but the RV place measured how far the bed dropped with the trailer on it and it was like 2 1/4 inches. They said that was fine. I do have the stackable GE washer and Onan Generator.
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Jim,
I thought 3,200 to 3,300 pounds was pretty light for a 2019 F-350 Diesel, so I did a little research online looking at Ford trucks. I was finding similar weights as you until I downloaded the 2019 Ford Super Duty Brochure and realized the payload and towing capacity info on each truck I looked at was based on the gasoline engine and not the diesel even though the truck had the diesel package. I looked at some of the trucks online at the local Ford dealerships in my area and found the payloads and towing capacities more in line with the brochure.

Below is the 2019 Ford Super Duty Brochure. The payload and towing capacities start on page 39. The payload can exceed 4000#'s depending of truck configuration.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...stalCode=76028
Carl, I appreciate the information. I looked at the chart and it shows a 3950 pound payload for an F350, 4x4, 159.8' wheelbase and I assume a diesel. I looked at the footnotes and it says the weights are for a vehicle with required equipment and do not include additional options. This probably results in the lower actual stickers.

Tags
weight