Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #15
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Wife says Tiffin is coming out with a new fifth wheel.
Been out for a while now. The company is Vanleigh RV and the model is Vilano. They've had some good reviews for the most part. I think the first model year was 2015. I think the company was started by Bob Tiffin's sons. Not sure of his involvement.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #16

My first FW was an Arctic Fox and for the price it was a well made unit. That was back in the wood frame days of AF. We are happy with the 2015 Excel and I don't see much out there construction, floor plan or price wise that makes me want to do anything except maintain the 31IKE and keep it for the long haul.

We looked at DRV and New Horizons before our Excel purchase and I've been in the Luxe and Vilano. We've got a customized (larger couch, smaller pantry, TV lift w/ Big rear window, custom bed and more) floor plan we love and an RV tricked out to our needs. It seems to be pretty well made with some typical RV issues over 2-1/2 years but related to component suppliers more than Peterson. With plenty invested in a depreciating asset the only payback is to go out and get the enjoyment that doesn't relate to dollars and sense breakdowns. When I look at what they offer vs what I have I'm inclined to spend on vigilant maintenance and stick with what I've got for quite a while.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #17
JDT

[Mod Edit] I've looked at the Northwood products, on line of course, and they get a lot of good customer reviews. Their frames appear to be a good selling point. They do not list a residential fridge as an option on their website though and for us that would be a deal breaker. Maybe that will change by the time we are ready.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #18
JDT

Went to the Tulsa boat and rv show yesterday and the really only higher end model we saw was a RiverStone by Forrest River which is built and priced to compete with Mobile Suites. It looked good, lots of glitz but had Westlake (Chinese made) tires and no disc brakes. I couldn't see the size but they looked like 16's but may have 17.5. Anyway, the rep said they were 8K Dexter axles. He also bragged about the 12" I beam frame and how much better it was than a fully boxed one. I just said "Really?". Maybe it is but I would think more metal would be better.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Yeah Jim, typically the bigger/major RV shows have the higher end units. The market is guided toward the low and middle of the line units (IE going for a few day at the lake or local campground). My anal observation of folks (mostly younger couples) at RV Sales and shows are impressed with the lighter duty "mid of the road" units with lots and lots of lights and glitz. Fancy LED lights/rope lights seem to be a big draw to younger couples. And always remember, the females have a high impact on the purchasing choice when shopping, especially when it comes to a part-time home!!! Just sayin'! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
JDT

Fortunately, the grandkid's grandma did not find anything she liked better than the trusty Winslow. She is actually put off by all the glitz. She likes the simpler stuff which is probably why she has stuck with me for 45 years. I will give her credit, she has done a great job decorating the stick house during our 2 year room by room remodel. Tasteful but not flashy, kind of like me.

I think the glitz and glitter probably sells more units than solid construction techniques ever will. For half the money you can get a cosmetically nice looking fiver over one built for full time use. I think this is why some of the higher end models have a hard time surviving as it becomes difficult to compete price wise.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #21

With diligent maintenance and good bones, these rigs can last a long time. Plus, once they are 5-10 years old they aren't worth much and much less expensive to maintain than purchase new.

Many of us are mod crazy and even thinking about getting rid of a camper that has $1000's of upgrades and starting again is unappealing.

We were looking into the Mercedes sprinter class B units as an alternative to our older Bigfoot TC and just could not do it even tho it could be much more comfortable. If you like you current unit, keyed and keep the purchase price of a new unit (or payments) in a fund for maintenance and upgrades.

It is a fact that really high quality units especially in towables are just no longer produced and glitz is the way of things. The fact that most RV's are using crap axles, brakes etc. when much better technology is readily available is ridiculous, but accepted by the buying public.

Rant over

An I beam is stronger than a channel or box frame of the same weight and more expensive.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #22
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
With diligent maintenance and good bones, these rigs can last a long time. Plus, once they are 5-10 years old they aren't worth much and much less expensive to maintain than purchase new.

Many of us are mod crazy and even thinking about getting rid of a camper that has $1000's of upgrades and starting again is unappealing.

We were looking into the Mercedes sprinter class B units as an alternative to our older Bigfoot TC and just could not do it even tho it could be much more comfortable. If you like you current unit, keyed and keep the purchase price of a new unit (or payments) in a fund for maintenance and upgrades.

It is a fact that really high quality units especially in towables are just no longer produced and glitz is the way of things. The fact that most RV's are using crap axles, brakes etc. when much better technology is readily available is ridiculous, but accepted by the buying public.

Rant over

An I beam is stronger than a channel or box frame of the same weight and more expensive.
Agree. I have sunk a bunch of money in ours upgrading the suspension with a Center Point air suspension system, added a roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler dish, changed the inverter for the fridge to a pure sine wave model with heavier wiring to the batteries, added an RVLock door lock with remotes, changed out the furniture to a very comfortable La-Z-Boy couch and loveseat, and added a hardwired Progressive 50 amp surge protector and a new Fantastic vent fan for the kitchen. I have a new Winegard batwing style antenna on order to replace the Jack antenna that doesn't pick up jack.

In addition, since ours stays indoors except for the 3 or 4 months we use it each season, it still looks new. I think I talked myself into keeping it.

Can't argue about the frame being one way or the other as I have no background for that kind of stuff.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Rockin's assessment of cheaper built models. Not made for the long haul.

Also agree about the lights and glitz. At one Fort Worth RV show I was talking with Bryan about the Unlimited when a guy stuck his head in the door looked both ways and said, "Priced too high. Don't see the value." I thought he would end up with a trailer that lasts about 5 years before it falls apart.

I-beams flex more than a box frame. Just look at the 18-wheeler flatbed trailer. When empty the flat bed has a curve that is straightened out under load. A box frame of the same dimension is stronger that an I-beam. That is why our 36'er EXCEL has only four jacks. Most other frame types need a third set of jacks in front of the axles for trailers that are smaller than our 36'er. Flexing is not good for aluminum. Depending on how the aluminum is joined, flexing can loosen joints.

That's my two cents. (Includes an adjustment for inflation.)
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We'll keep our 32ft Limited until we or it can't travel anymore. Like others I have and continue to do a lots of mods to make it the way we want. The thought of starting all those mods over makes me very tired thinking about it. I can add all the glitz I want (not much wanted), but you can't do anything to improve the frame and basic unit on poorly designed units.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Agree. I have sunk a bunch of money in ours upgrading the suspension with a Center Point air suspension system, added a roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler dish, changed the inverter for the fridge to a pure sine wave model with heavier wiring to the batteries, added an RVLock door lock with remotes, changed out the furniture to a very comfortable La-Z-Boy couch and loveseat, and added a hardwired Progressive 50 amp surge protector and a new Fantastic vent fan for the kitchen. I have a new Winegard batwing style antenna on order to replace the Jack antenna that doesn't pick up jack.

In addition, since ours stays indoors except for the 3 or 4 months we use it each season, it still looks new. I think I talked myself into keeping it.

Can't argue about the frame being one way or the other as I have no background for that kind of stuff.

Hmmm. In my experience the jack antennas are WAY better than the wingguard bats with digital add on. I wonder if something else is going on..
Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
We will jump that hurdle when necessary in a few years. Perhaps a Class A.
That's probably what we'd do if we got rid of our Excel.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #27

We changed our air antenna to a Winegard Rayzar Automatic. Its an automatic search amplified local broadcast HD Antenna. Has the dome on roof, where your air antenna is and comes with a plate to put over the opening where you remove the handle inside. It auto searches like a satellite antenna. Been happy with it.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
JDT

We had the original batwing for a couple of years but the cranking mechanism broke and I replaced it the Jack. I figured it would be easier to deal with without the crank. We have used the same campground in Branson for a number of years and with the batwing we got all the locals, including Springfield. With the Jack we get less than half of them. Not sure how it works in the rest of our travels since I have no comparison but we never seem to get much. Just not enough antenna in my opinion. We use our Dish for satellite but I can have it scan and download the over the air local channels on the guide so we don't have to toggle back and forth between air and satellite. Works well and keeps me from having to call Dish to change our location just to get locals. The Rayzar looks good but just couldn't make myself spend the money.