Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Where do you wash & do maintenance?

I am the kind of guy who likes to do my own washing, waxing and all the maintenance I can myself. My homeowner's association will not allow parking the 5th wheel at my residence for doing such tasks. I store my 5th in a storage facility and they don't have water or electricity available. So my question is, for those of you in similar circumstances, what do you do? Where do you go to wash? Where do you go to have access to 120vac so you can do some maintenance? Are there opportunities somewhere that I am overlooking or will I have to take it to a dealer to have it done professionally? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Don, Hello, As far as no water to wash.... Freedom Waterless Car Wash , I studied up on it due to I was skeptical about using this stuff and getting scratches......I bought the big saver combo pack, and after using it I will never be without this product! Love it and it works wonderful w/ no scratching or swirls.
As far as A/C power, if no onboard gen-set, get a generator and you will always have it for boon docking also.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
We've been FTing for 9 years and we do our minor maintenance, wash and waxing at our major stops in RV Parks. Simple as that. When we lived in the S&B the subdivision covenant wouldn't allow for RVs to even be driven thru the subdivision let alone be parked there! rockin
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
If I had your money I would just buy a new one every time it needed waxing.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I installed a faucet on the drain line of my fresh water tank. Connect a hose, turn on the pump and I have washed my MH in rest areas. As for 110 V power to wax, if you do not have a generator, a small one would do the job and come in handy for the 5th wheel.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

I washed and waxed our coach at a recent stop at an rv park. We usually boondock or stay at state and national parks, but occasionally stop at an rv park for maintenance tasks like that.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
I washed and waxed our coach at a recent stop at an rv park. We usually boondock or stay at state and national parks, but occasionally stop at an rv park for maintenance tasks like that.
Most all of the resorts/campgrounds I have visited don't allow washing and the few that do....Anywhere from $10.00-$30.00 I have paid. Only 2-3 times when I asked and they said go ahead....no problem/no charge.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Most all of the resorts/campgrounds I have visited don't allow washing and the few that do....Anywhere from $10.00-$30.00 I have paid. Only 2-3 times when I asked and they said go ahead....no problem/no charge.
Yes, we paid $10 the last time.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Another alternative to buying a new coach would be to hire a mobile detailer it's a lot less expensive. deSanford P.S. ask if you can help if you want
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
If I had your money I would just buy a new one every time it needed waxing.
Yeah Gary, I hear ya! But you don't have my money!!! Just kiddin'... You probably have oil wells a-pumpin' on your lower 40 in that Texas spread of yours!! Alligator boots, horseshoe diamond ring, and a 5X Silver Belly hat....I know your kind!!! rockin'

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your input. I had not thought of washing at an RV park, but that solves my problem. We have an RV park called Trader's Village here in NW Houston. For $32 I could go there, clean the roof and exterior as well as do any maintenance I needed. I'm also keeping my eye out for one of those wand-type car washes with the large bay for tractor trucks. They might have facilities that would be useful.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Thanks for your input. I had not thought of washing at an RV park, but that solves my problem. We have an RV park called Trader's Village here in NW Houston. For $32 I could go there, clean the roof and exterior as well as do any maintenance I needed. I'm also keeping my eye out for one of those wand-type car washes with the large bay for tractor trucks. They might have facilities that would be useful.
Very familiar with Houston, in fact we stayed at TV Park for 5 weeks in 2008 so I know the place.

On the coin operated car wash deal, be very careful not to get to close with the wand as it is hard on decals and the like. Just sayin'. rockin'
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having trouble fully understanding this thread, this Wash Your Rig part. I use rain!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I seek out truck washes when traveling. Do much of the minor maintenance when in RV parks.

Truck washes can be full serve type or DIY.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance