RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Whirlpool Stackable Washer Error Code A10 Not Draining

Just wanted to anyone with subject situation to be aware of this issue. My sister, who travels by air in her job, talked up her using a new product for her laundry while on the road. Purex 3 in 1 allows you use a single sheet that is a detergent, fabric softener, and anti cling all in 1 sheet. Makes it nice and compact especially while traveling. She just puts a couple of these in her suitcase and off she goes. She's very happy with performance and talked us into using them in our RV washer and dryer.

Long story short, after we used it, the washer had a A10 code and wouldn't drain the water on the rinse cycle and thus wouldn't spin. I read the new owners manual completely and nothing other than check for kinked drain hose. Went out to an appliance DIY website and posted a thread and a tech replied explaining that there is a cavity (kinda like a filter) on the pump that catches larger "stuff" from the washer so it doesn't plug the drain hose. To gain access to this cavity pull off the small plastic cover on the bottom of the washer (just snaps on), and look to the right side and you'll see the black cap. Have lots of towel to sop up the water (I used about 6 full sized towels-you are getting all the water in the drum area that wouldn't drain). After removing the cap/filter see below to what I found.....the 3 in 1 towel. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the product as it worked fine, just doesn't stay in the washer tub where it belongs. Hope this helps someone else down the line. Would also be nice if the owner's manual would have this filter feature described in their book.

Also we plan on putting very small items like the GD's little socks in a net bag when we wash.....to keep the same thing from happening again. Something to thank about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 001 [800x600].jpg
Views:	772
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	12055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 002 [800x600].jpg
Views:	541
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	12056  

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 003 [800x600].jpg
Views:	927
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 005 [800x600].jpg
Views:	883
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	12058  

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 004 [800x600].jpg
Views:	657
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	12059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer Draining Issue 006 [800x600].jpg
Views:	874
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	12060  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent info, thanks for posting. I'll avoid this product in the future even though we have a Splendide washer/dryer stacked pair.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Very informative post. We occasionally use Shout Color Catcher sheets and I've always used a mesh bag; now I know why! We so agree about the Owners Manual needing more information about the filter and how to remove/replace it so that it doesn't leak. KramalotInn (Rick) saved our bacon or we would have had to pay for a service call LOL.
John & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
From the size of the all in one sheet, I'd be surprised if the plumber's don't hate them. 4" x 7" is pretty small and would slip into the drain line easy. I don't have that problem. Just have Billie go down to the river and wash the clothes using a couple of rocks like in the old days. You all have heard of Stonewash clothes. I'v got them that way after the first washing.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
From the size of the all in one sheet, I'd be surprised if the plumber's don't hate them. 4" x 7" is pretty small and would slip into the drain line easy. I don't have that problem. Just have Billie go down to the river and wash the clothes using a couple of rocks like in the old days. You all have heard of Stonewash clothes. I'v got them that way after the first washing.
Thanks still........I just love your ohhhhh soooo profound comments. You live up to the 'bib overhaul" reputation!!! RockoutWashout and I'm really talkin' washout this time!!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

I have Whirlpool stackable units and my washer is slightly different than yours. The filter in mine is visable without removing the lower front cover. My owners manual says to remove and clean it monthly.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
I have Whirlpool stackable units and my washer is slightly different than yours. The filter in mine is visable without removing the lower front cover. My owners manual says to remove and clean it monthly.
Thanks Norm........sounds like we may be moving backwards!! Where is yours located? Any possibility of a pic of it? Thanks. rockin'
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Update! More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Just wanted to anyone with subject situation to be aware of this issue. My sister, who travels by air in her job, talked up her using a new product for her laundry while on the road. Purex 3 in 1 allows you use a single sheet that is a detergent, fabric softener, and anti cling all in 1 sheet. Makes it nice and compact especially while traveling. She just puts a couple of these in her suitcase and off she goes. She's very happy with performance and talked us into using them in our RV washer and dryer.

Long story short, after we used it, the washer had a A10 code and wouldn't drain the water on the rinse cycle and thus wouldn't spin. I read the new owners manual completely and nothing other than check for kinked drain hose. Went out to an appliance DIY website and posted a thread and a tech replied explaining that there is a cavity (kinda like a filter) on the pump that catches larger "stuff" from the washer so it doesn't plug the drain hose. To gain access to this cavity pull off the small plastic cover on the bottom of the washer (just snaps on), and look to the right side and you'll see the black cap. Have lots of towel to sop up the water (I used about 6 full sized towels-you are getting all the water in the drum area that wouldn't drain). After removing the cap/filter see below to what I found.....the 3 in 1 towel. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the product as it worked fine, just doesn't stay in the washer tub where it belongs. Hope this helps someone else down the line. Would also be nice if the owner's manual would have this filter feature described in their book.

Also we plan on putting very small items like the GD's little socks in a net bag when we wash.....to keep the same thing from happening again. Something to thank about.
I just read all the "fine print" on the box of Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets and it recommends using a mesh bag. rockin' will read a owner's manual from front to back, but not a box of laundry detergent!!! Guess I'm not that anal!!! rockin'
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #9

Thank you for helping me fix my washer!

I moved my washer/dryer to the left to make more room for storage in my laundry closet, and felt that the washer had been acting up since then. Tonight it refused to run the wash, and wouldn't allow me to drain the mucky water either, giving me the A10 error. Your thread was the first thing I found and, the instructions and pictures helped me fix my washer! I removed--get this--a hair elastic and metal hair clip from the cavity. Also, thanks for the water drainage warning! I was somewhat ready with some absorbent dog pads, but ended up using more towels as you said. This was a lifesaver!
ludlow154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow154 View Post
I moved my washer/dryer to the left to make more room for storage in my laundry closet, and felt that the washer had been acting up since then. Tonight it refused to run the wash, and wouldn't allow me to drain the mucky water either, giving me the A10 error. Your thread was the first thing I found and, the instructions and pictures helped me fix my washer! I removed--get this--a hair elastic and metal hair clip from the cavity. Also, thanks for the water drainage warning! I was somewhat ready with some absorbent dog pads, but ended up using more towels as you said. This was a lifesaver!
Ludlow,

Glad it all worked out for ya. Yeah, I used to be "fix it" guy for GM in Service Engineer. While learning this job, I would get a bit frustrated in reading reports of one of my work partners that would have a solution to the issue I was working on. Many reports were lacking detail making very frustrating and sometime that person was not available to help (or they forgot about the case). I vowed that if I found a fix I would give as info as possible in hopes to help someone else down the road. Hence, the anal detailed reports....with pix!!!

Thanks for shouting back as it has made my day and I know someone reads this stuff!! rockin'

PS See there still......I'm good for something other than just braggin'!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Ludlow,

Glad it all worked out for ya. Yeah, I used to be "fix it" guy for GM in Service Engineer. While learning this job, I would get a bit frustrated in reading reports of one of my work partners that would have a solution to the issue I was working on. Many reports were lacking detail making very frustrating and sometime that person was not available to help (or they forgot about the case). I vowed that if I found a fix I would give as info as possible in hopes to help someone else down the road. Hence, the anal detailed reports....with pix!!!

Thanks for shouting back as it has made my day and I know someone reads this stuff!! rockin'

PS See there still......I'm good for something other than just braggin'!!!

Ok I'll have to give you a little credit. Don't want to get a big head with all that knowledge.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #12

Excellent, helped me fix the exact same problem!

Thanks so much to the original OP and the excellent photos. Our stackable whirlpoop washer and dryer had been getting "stuck" on the drain cycle and flashing the A10 message. I googled and found this thread and followed the pictures/directions. After FINALLY getting all the water out, I found about 8 quarters, 5 dimes, 3 nickels, 2 pennies, 2 sets of large earrings, a qtip, twizzle stick, and several tablespoons of crud. Guess I need to check pockets better =) Problem is now fixed AND we avoided a service call / annoying the heck out of our apt manager!
turboexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I'm so glad this helped another person. If we post our experiences sometimes it helps some one else. Makes me feel good all over!!! :0)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
How to remove cover

I think this thread will solve my problem, my wife used a color catcher sheet. Anybody remember how the bottom cover pops off? Mine is new and real tight, I don't want to pull too hard and break anything. Does it pull off from the bottom? sides?

Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote

« End cap gel coat | - »