Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I would suggest you offer it as an option...and I agree with Steve R. We have the 1000 ..which would be the older version of the MBR1200.

Still Working "Not" -great ideas about the HDMI & dual cable runs...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
I'm trying to make a decision in getting ready for our 2011 models. I'm thinking it would be convenient for the consumer if we included a wireless router with our Limited at the time or purchase. However, I realize the only time the router would be useful is when you are connected to cable at the campground and are subscribed to internet service provided by the cable provider.

I need to ask you who are in the field using our coaches. Would a wireless router be a good feature to include with a new coach or is it just as simple to go to Wal**** and pick up one for those who need it?

And, aren't most campgrounds/resorts providing wireless service now-a-days? Also, are many of you using air cards for your laptops which would also make the route useless?

Thanks,
Bryan
Very few people would have much use for a random wireless router installed in their coach. A wireless router will not do anything for a campground wi-fi signal. No, most campgrounds/resorts do not provide wireless service, but many do and many are really bad. A router won't change this.
If you were looking to add an option with value to most everyone, I would suggest that you install an external cellular antenna with an interior wireless amplifier (or at least that option). Wilson Electronics is the leader in this field but many of their systems require a long separation between the outside and inside antennas. It would be a simple setup during production but can be difficult to achieve in an after-market setup.
Cellular is the future and options that you can provide your customers in this area would make your coaches more user friendly.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a Cradlepoint router in which we have our Verizon USB modem inserted. Any other kind of router that wouldn't accept an air card/USB modem, would be useless to us.

We had a Wilson antenna installed on our roof above the cabinet where the router resides (above the microwave), and we also have a Wilson wired amp in that cabinet.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
And, aren't most campgrounds/resorts providing wireless service now-a-days? Also, are many of you using air cards for your laptops which would also make the route useless?
*Some* RV parks offer WiFi, but our experience with RV park WiFi systems has been less than satisfactory. Besides which, *we* do a lot of boondocking, so RV park WiFi is useless to us on most occasions.

Yes, many people ARE using air cards/USB modems from one of the wireless carriers (Verizon, Sprint, etc.), us included. These air cards/USB modems CAN be inserted into a router (see my post above)...but not just *any* router. Cradlepoint routers are probably the leader in these types of routers.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
We use a Cradlepoint router in which we have our Verizon USB modem inserted. Any other kind of router that wouldn't accept an air card/USB modem, would be useless to us.

We had a Wilson antenna installed on our roof above the cabinet where the router resides (above the microwave), and we also have a Wilson wired amp in that cabinet.
We have the same setup as far as equipment goes. The Wilson equipment with the Cradlepoint router helps immensely when we are camping where there is a weak cell signal.

I never depend on the "free Wi-Fi" anymore...

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Very few people would have much use for a random wireless router installed in their coach. A wireless router will not do anything for a campground wi-fi signal. No, most campgrounds/resorts do not provide wireless service, but many do and many are really bad. A router won't change this.
If you were looking to add an option with value to most everyone, I would suggest that you install an external cellular antenna with an interior wireless amplifier (or at least that option). Wilson Electronics is the leader in this field but many of their systems require a long separation between the outside and inside antennas. It would be a simple setup during production but can be difficult to achieve in an after-market setup.
Cellular is the future and options that you can provide your customers in this area would make your coaches more user friendly.
Providing a cellular antenna and booster is a great idea except boosters come in different flavors depending on whose service you use. The antennas are universal. Having the antenna cable terminate in a cabinet with a power source nearby would have saved me some work!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #21

Installing my antenna and amp is one of the first things I have to do for our Wild Cargo, and I've been given the directive that I can't have wires running everywhere - so having an antenna and power strip would be a great idea.
2Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. Your "The only time the router would be useful" is faulty.

Personally.. I don't think I would include a wireless router with a motor home, but I might well make provisions for one.. I do use a wireless router in my rolling house but there are several considerations

Some folks have Cellular "Air Cards" a Cradlepoint router (The only kind I might consider) of the proper model (There are at least 3 different types) can accept that air card and distribute it to comptuers in the house.

HUGHESnet (And at least one other 2-way satellite Internet Service) can be subscribed to and again the router can distribute

And in my case I have 4 computers in the house (This one included) (Actually up to 5 but 1 is in the shop for the last year.. Shop advertised "one day repair")

Well..... Two of them are Television DVR's that can share recordings, one file server and this one.. I currently have the wireless turned off but

if I'm parked close enough to a Wi-Fi node.. I have a linksys WGA (Wireless Game Adapter) that will let all 4 of 'em log into the internet.. The DVR's need this from time to time.

I need to move the WGA so as to reduce interference.. But that will happen later.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Bryan,

We use a Verizon AirCard and are happy with it. A wireless router inside the coach would not be of interest to us. Thanks for asking.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Bryan,I would have liked to have had the option of having the rig prewired for an antenna. I have not been hooked to a land line since Dec of 2004. I am not saying that some of your costumers that put their trailer in one camp ground for all season would not like the router option. the only time I use free WLAN is on my phone other wise I use my USB wireless card on my laptop.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
The issue I have with the Wilson Trucker antennas is that they rarely last more than a couple of years before the UV light degrades them to fall apart ... not that different than unprotected vent covers. When they are new though, they take almost no signal to typically full scale. When we lived in Colorado we were a mile from the end of the landline connection and didn't want to pay the $5K to bring it over to us. We installed two Wilson Trucker antennas on the roof on opposite ends of the straw bale house. We always had full 5 bars even though we were 12 miles from the nearest cell tower. Inside the house without the antenna we had 1 bar at best and had to stand at a window to stay connected (chicken wire in the mud plaster made a great RF barrier).

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
The issue I have with the Wilson Trucker antennas is that they rarely last more than a couple of years before the UV light degrades them to fall apart ...

Dave
KU9L... MyWilson antenna is all metal (it might even be stainless steel) I don't think it will fall apart. We do have an amp in the coach which does help with any signal loss.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
KU9L... MyWilson antenna is all metal (it might even be stainless steel) I don't think it will fall apart. We do have an amp in the coach which does help with any signal loss.
Not to get too far off topic but I think Bryan got his question answered. We too use the Wilson antenna with an amplifier.

Like others have said, perhaps less equipment and more prewired cableing is a better answerr. We too need 2 direct runs of TV cable from the satellite receiver to EACH TV position. Then cableing from an outside cellular antenna to the inside of the coach would also be advantageous for us. Assuming you use a router as we do, location makes no difference.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm trying to make a decision in getting ready for our 2011 models. I'm thinking it would be convenient for the consumer if we included a wireless router with our Limited at the time or purchase.
Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan, I think that it's really cool that you are doing this! While I am not a FT, I have learned a lot about current standards from this post and I like how you are 'listening' to the people who are your now and future client base!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote