Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Windows 10 using too much data

I took my computer in the other day to a geek concerning the amount of unexplained data I have been using lately on my Verion computer line. He checked it out and said it was Windows 10 updating when the computer is turned on. He said I didn't need the updates and to turn them off go into updates and change the active hours of the computer to like 10 at night to 5 in the morning (when computer not in use and turned off). Then windows would try to update during this time frame and be unable to do so. Anyway, we'll see how it works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing about Windows 10 is "Live Tiles" on the Start Screen.. Turn those off, some simply eat processor time, the rest eat processor time and DATa.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
How much data are we talking about? Verizon will track your data usage for each device on your plan with an hourly data log. Go out to their web site and log into your account to view the logs. Do you use a cloud drive, like google drive? The settings may allow the drive to copy any changes to your devices to the cloud. We lost about 8 gig one month before we got it shut off. Then in November we lost about 8 gig in a single morning on the myfi (like a hot spot) between midnight and 8 am. We were asleep. Even if the Windows lap top updated the entire operating system, it would only have been about 2 gig. So I called Verizon to see if they could help. They claimed it was audio data. I said nope, 8 gig would have been a year's worth of audio data and we were asleep. They agreed it looked sketchy and gave me an 8 gig rebate at $15 a gig, their overage rate on my plan. Suggested I turn off the myfi at night. I also deleted a router from our system that was old enough to be a possible security risk. Verizon promised to investigate further and let us know what they found but I never heard anything more. Haven't seen anything like that since then. - John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
How much data are we talking about? Verizon will track your data usage for each device on your plan with an hourly data log. Go out to their web site and log into your account to view the logs. Do you use a cloud drive, like google drive? The settings may allow the drive to copy any changes to your devices to the cloud. We lost about 8 gig one month before we got it shut off. Then in November we lost about 8 gig in a single morning on the myfi (like a hot spot) between midnight and 8 am. We were asleep. Even if the Windows lap top updated the entire operating system, it would only have been about 2 gig. So I called Verizon to see if they could help. They claimed it was audio data. I said nope, 8 gig would have been a year's worth of audio data and we were asleep. They agreed it looked sketchy and gave me an 8 gig rebate at $15 a gig, their overage rate on my plan. Suggested I turn off the myfi at night. I also deleted a router from our system that was old enough to be a possible security risk. Verizon promised to investigate further and let us know what they found but I never heard anything more. Haven't seen anything like that since then. - John
Thanks for the replies. The geek said Windows 10 did a massive update around Nov. 20-21 and that ate up about 20% or 5 g of my data. I use Google Chrome. Can you tell me how to turn off the cloud drive?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something else.. If you only use your laptop for internet access... Consider a ChromeBook... I just got one.

Fact: I've set up 3 comptuers for windows 10, all were long jobs, Many updates. in one case I had to do it twice as the password failed, and the reset I literally took the young lady out to dinner while it was working and we got back in time to keep waiting.

Setting up the chrome book (NOTE: I have a Google account and Chrome is installed on both my Windows Laptops)

Power on, It gave me a requestor Language (Leave along) Keyboard layout (Likewise) WI-FI (select house router) then a 2nd requestor (Wi-Fi Key or Pass Phrase or Password) Enter the key for my router)

Then it ask me to log into my Google account.. User name and password

And that was it, It automaticaly "Synced" my Chrome bookmarks and 2 add ons I used with Chrome ... I logged into the pages for the add-ons and Ready to play.

SO I took it with me to Denny's. where they have fiber optic cable feeding a 5GHZ router... BLAZING BANDWITH BATMAN (about 5 Meg-a-BYTE) That was fun.. Bit slower here in the campground......

Oh, documentation included with the laptop.. Cna't do 5GHZ routers in a CG they can only be used indoors.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Gary, You can not turn off the updates on Windows 10. At best you can delay them. Many of those that jumped on the W10 bandwagon are now finding out just what the cost is of the forced updates and large amount of Microsoft spyware now installed on your computers. I don't have any of those or any other problems with my Windows 7, still operating perfectly fine. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

FWIW every thing I hear and the bit I have seen with 10 leave me thinking the new manager has decided to take the Apple and Google path of do it our way and visit the company store for everything. While doing it they are data mining the heck out of their users as a revenue source. There are a lot of hints that they will soon start charging a yearly fee. The net result for me has been to set up two laptops with Linux and gradually migrate to them. I still run XP and will continue until the hardware dies or there is a killer change that I cannot work around.

Anyone using a laptop with external access can easily change hard drives. The rest of the computer won't care. Put Linux on a new drive and play with it. You won't be sorry and won't be stuck if you get really sick of dealing with Microsoft. If you don't like Linux then put the drive in a USB enclosure and you will have an external drive for backup or extra storage.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Do you have an Internet connection with limited data? Just mark it as metered and Windows 10 won’t automatically download updates on it.

How to Set an Wireless Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 10:

To change this option, open the Settings app, head to Network & Internet > Wi-FI, and click “Manage Known Networks”.

Choose your Wi-Fi network coming from the Verizon Hotspot and click “Properties”. From there, enable the “Set as metered connection” option.

This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you’re currently editing, but Windows will remember this setting for each individual Wi-Fi network on which you change it.

When you are some where you have un-metered Wi-Fi like a campground or a family member home be SURE to leave your computer on overnight and get caught up on updates.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback
Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I use Google Chrome. Can you tell me how to turn off the cloud drive?
Google drive is a separate app from chrome. You install it or something similar from Amazon or Microsoft and it lets you store a limited amount of stuff on their servers for free or you can pay for more storage. Doesn't sound like you have anything like this. Anyway, each cloud drive app has settings that allow it to automatically store pictures or any changes to your apps or whatever. Disable those or uninstall the app if you're not using it which is what we did. - John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Do a web search for Windows 10 data Hog or similar. You will find the method to reduce the data flow. And I mean really reduce it.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #12

I'm not in the Windows, world on the road with a MacBook Pro, but I have a great little program (Bandwidth+ https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/band...90461369?mt=12) that gives me a small onscreen data counter. Our wireless hot spot displays data usage but that's across the room by the Rear Ent Center. When you see it at the top of the screen as you're working you can avoid data hog actions that you might not be thinking about or aware of like auto updates or web site video running while your sound is muted.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window