Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Winegard SK-3005 Help

Next problem and question.

Does anyone have a DirecTV receiver with recoreder in their 5'ver?

I have the Winegard SK-3005 with this DirecTV receiver and I cannot pick up one DirecTV programming when out on the road.

Just want to be able to pick up my subscription channels when parked and using the roof mounted SK-3005.

Does anyone know how to connect this to the A/B switch?

I don't care about the TV in the bedroom. Just the living room HD TV.

When we are back at our home and parked under our shed, I have a land based dish that is a SWM connection. I just simply connect to the satellite connection on the side of the RV.

I get everything when parked back at home.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou316 View Post

I have the Winegard SK-3005 with this DirecTV receiver and I cannot pick up one DirecTV programming when out on the road.

Just want to be able to pick up my subscription channels when parked and using the roof mounted SK-3005.

When we are back at our home and parked under our shed, I have a land based dish that is a SWM connection. I just simply connect to the satellite connection on the side of the RV.

I have this setup and can view all of my channels when there are no obstructions above the dish.

If you are missing local channels when out of the area, it is most likely due to spot beaming and there is no way around this. You can make arrangements with DirecTV to see "local channels" for a given area but I believe that there is a cost associated with it.

I too have the non SWM setup in my fiver and use A/B switches to enable the outside coax jacks and bypass the rooftop dish. This is handy for use with a portable dish that I use when camping under trees.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Was the dish installed by PI? Someone else? Did it ever provide a signal? Have you checked the connection on the rear of the dvr?

On our '09 TKE, I could not get a signal initially and tried everything I could think of, called DTV and Winegard before "ringing out" the coax. PI had interchanged the coax to the bed room and to the living room. After using the appropriate coax, I was able to receive a signal. Also discovered that the output from the DVR was approximately 12.8VDC. This is a great help when using a tripod dish with 2 or more connections between the LNB and the DVR to trouble shoot poor connections.

I would borrow or purchase a "satellite finder" meter and connect it between the coax from the dish and the connection on the rear of the DVR. A signal will verify the coax is the one from the dish. No signal is a little more difficult. If you can get to the coax connection at the LNB, you can disconnect it and "ring it out" using an Ohm Meter. In our entertainment center, there are several coax cables to choose from. The unit may be improperly wired like ours. You can also check the voltage from the DVR to the LNB (approx. 12.8 VDC). My assumption is that you have activated the 3005 and checked that the proper azimuth and elevation were attained. If you have made all these checks, then I would call Wingard.

I do not have a 3005. We have a tripod mount. These checks/tests have helped me and I hope they are some help to you. It can be very frustrating.

God bless

Jesse
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaird View Post
Was the dish installed by PI? Someone else? Did it ever provide a signal? Have you checked the connection on the rear of the dvr?

On our '09 TKE, I could not get a signal initially and tried everything I could think of, called DTV and Winegard before "ringing out" the coax. PI had interchanged the coax to the bed room and to the living room. After using the appropriate coax, I was able to receive a signal. Also discovered that the output from the DVR was approximately 12.8VDC. This is a great help when using a tripod dish with 2 or more connections between the LNB and the DVR to trouble shoot poor connections.

I would borrow or purchase a "satellite finder" meter and connect it between the coax from the dish and the connection on the rear of the DVR. A signal will verify the coax is the one from the dish. No signal is a little more difficult. If you can get to the coax connection at the LNB, you can disconnect it and "ring it out" using an Ohm Meter. In our entertainment center, there are several coax cables to choose from. The unit may be improperly wired like ours. You can also check the voltage from the DVR to the LNB (approx. 12.8 VDC). My assumption is that you have activated the 3005 and checked that the proper azimuth and elevation were attained. If you have made all these checks, then I would call Wingard.

I do not have a 3005. We have a tripod mount. These checks/tests have helped me and I hope they are some help to you. It can be very frustrating.

God bless

Jesse
Yes..PI installed the dish. I have had an account with DirecTV for years and it is activated. The dish locks on but no picture. I have emailed Winegard. I have spoken with PI. I have called DirecTV and they have set up a special management team to ensure that I get what I am paying for.

Thanks for all the information.

God Bless.

Steve
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Steve,
I have the Dish/BEV setup on our new coach and when taking your STB from your home to your coach does the DTV have a menu setting to check for a "switch"? If I take my STB from my house and don't do a "Check Switch" we get no programming. Even though the dish has peaked the satellites. Just a thought.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:

When we are back at our home and parked under our shed, I have a land
based dish that is a SWM connection. I just simply connect to the satellite connection on the side of the RV.

I hope you got your problem solved? If so, what? I would like to know in case I have trouble in the future.

Thanks

Jesse
Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes..PI installed the dish. I have had an account with DirecTV for years and it is activated. The dish locks on but no picture. I have emailed Winegard. I have spoken with PI. I have called DirecTV and they have set up a special management team to ensure that I get what I am paying for.

Thanks for all the information.

God Bless.

Steve
I have found the Winegard Forum to be very helpful and very quick in their responses. You might try them.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Steve,
I have the Dish/BEV setup on our new coach and when taking your STB from your home to your coach does the DTV have a menu setting to check for a "switch"? If I take my STB from my house and don't do a "Check Switch" we get no programming. Even though the dish has peaked the satellites. Just a thought.
This sounds like the culprit to me. Especially if you have an SWM system at home I think you need to repeat the entire satellite set up process. That's one thing about that dish is it can lock on to its birds and be happy without regard for whether or not the receiver is happy with it. If your receiver is HD and you're going from an SWM system to the 3005, I think you might need a "B Band Converter" (?) on the coax connection to the receiver.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
With your antenna, you must select the MultiSwitch type antenna, not SWM. Also, if you want to get HD channels, you must use a Base Band Converter inline with the coax. You will be able to get SD signals off the 101 satellite without the BBC.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

Pretty much agree with the above post. We don't have a SWM at the Stick house so we have the B band converters, so I just disconnect the two coaxs and more the DVR to the rig, connect up the two coaxs from the 3005, third line goes to the bedroom rcvr, and we're ready. The 3005 uses it's on control box for finding the Sats and will lock in an peak the sig without a Rcvr connected. We love the system as it sure beats seting up the portable dish.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #11

Not Yet!

Quote:
I hope you got your problem solved? If so, what? I would like to know in case I have trouble in the future.

Thanks

Jesse

Problem has NOT been solved! I am very disappointed.

Seems like to me that someone at Peterson Industries would know exactly how to simply call and tell a customer how to connect this satellite as they are the ones that sell it.

And yes to the other poster, I am a member of the Winegard forum. We have spoken on the phone and through emails. They state that Peterson Industries should be able to handle this.

I am still waiting on a call from Ralph who was working with a DirecTV technician on how to solve the problem. Supposedly, the schematics of the wiring of our RV was to be sent to the technician.

I am at a lost and wish this matter could be simply solved. It doesn't appear it will happen.

Peterson Industries installed the satellite at the factory. It would only seem logical that someone there could give me a call and walk me through the hook-up. They know the models both of my RV and the satellite system.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #12

I do not have a current/updated Sat system on my unit....do have a Winegard crankup on the roof and the outside connection for a ground based unit. Neither have been used since my purchase.

Not sure with all the information you have received to date that I would be able to provide an answer to your question. I'm more of a visual person that needs to 'see and touch' what I'm doing, guess that's why I post a lot of pictures on my projects.

Is this the type of A/B switch, and what's on the page, that you are referring to....used to switch between the ground and roof (3005) antenna?

I was just looking at a series of U-Tube videos, there seems to be a lot of information to be had if one has the time to 'Look' and 'Watch'. I haven't had the time to watch or read the installation information on the 3005 yet...but on the last one viewed, I seemed to notice that because of the freqs that the unit uses, it is inportant to use the correct connectors, splitters and basically anything that is added to the system. Seems like there is a lot to learn.

I'm in the process of completely updating the electronics in my 'entertainment center'. TV, Amplifier w/surround, DVD/VCR recorder and a DVD BluRay player. Will make room for the addition of a Sat DVR/Receiver for future use. So want to get most anything that is needed installed or aware of now rather than after the new cabinet is made.

One thing that I just completed is separating all the wires from the ceiling speakers, radio antenna wires and coax cables....tracing, identifing and marking as nothing had a label. Those that aren't being used are coiled and attached to the back of the existing cabinet for now. I used a signal tracer , not the same unit, purchased from HD to help identify the coax cables and to verify there use, phone lines etc.

When I was checking the Sat wires, there was two connected to the output of a splitter, one was for the jack connection for an outside ant input....and would have to assume the other was for the roof mounted ant. I didn't verify that as I would be replacing it if/when a new Sat antenna is installed (3005). I would also assume that the two Sat wires were connected to the splitter just to keep them together and separated from the cable/over the air coax as nothing was marked/labeled. That's why if nothing is marked that you might want to verify what's on the other end of the coax or its orgin if the system has never worked. What I thought was 'two feeds going someplace'....were two inputs from different sources.

Believe that someone mentioned a signal strenght meter to help determine that if a signal was present on the coax...seems like that would work in tracing the signal through the system....

I would assume from your post that the system has never worked using the 3005 system, has it worked correctly using an outside Sat antenna? Does the equipment stay in the Excel all the time or moved from 5'er to Home?

If I couldn't find the answer myself, I would consider contacting a DirectTV service person in the area and see if they could trouble shoot the system. It might be a incorrect component in the system, a bad connection or setup not correct.

The Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder I'm installing, I purchased in Oct of 2010. When it was first installed the video was weak and wasn't able to get the unit to function correctly. So it was removed and the LG DVD/VCR recorder was reinstalled. Before our last trip....the DW asked about the Panasonic sitting on the closet floor....so on the trip it was installed again and after spending the weekend reading the owners manual and pushing every button, still don't completely understand it but it does work correctly now and I can at least program and record a show. At least for me it was a setup problem.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #13

Problem solved?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

Nope

Not yet...but I do understand it is definitely something to do with the B Band things. Waiting on DirecTV to come out.

Quote:
Problem solved?