Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winslow 34RLM driver side slide out has short in 12V light wiring

My 2011 Winslow 34RLM has a short in the wiring going to the lights in my driver side living room slide out that blows the 15amp fuse, short probably caused by mice chewing on wires. Trailer has been stored in my RV Garage with slides out - the lights were working prior to last week.

I'm trying to trace where the short is at, does anyone know how / where the 12v light wiring would be routed to the slide out?
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltom75 View Post
My 2011 Winslow 34RLM has a short in the wiring going to the lights in my driver side living room slide out that blows the 15amp fuse, short probably caused by mice chewing on wires. Trailer has been stored in my RV Garage with slides out - the lights were working prior to last week.

I'm trying to trace where the short is at, does anyone know how / where the 12v light wiring would be routed to the slide out?
Tom,
Sorry to here of your problem. If it ain't one problem, it's a half-dozen others.

When I was replacing my backup camera, I routed the cable under the trailer. I noticed a sheet metal cover running the width of the trailer. I looked inside and noticed what looked like a wiring harness loop. Figured it was the slack loop for the slide. Didn't spend any time on it but made a mental note of it and continued on with my project. That may be a good place to start.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. Good luck and keep us informed. It could help another with a similar problem.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:52 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
There's a similar discussion about the same issue and model year Excel on the Facebook Excel Owners Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/exce...0170029350260/

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:51 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Carl - I've checked all of the visible wiring from fuse panel and whats visible in the basement -sounds like this would be next place to check

Thanks Russel, I see that the Facebook group is private - I don't have a Facebook account & don't really want to sign up for one.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
The Facebook group is more active than this iRV2 group. I'm a moderator on the FB group. It's private to keep out the bots and spammers.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winslow 34RLM driver side slide out has short in 12V light wiring - update

Finally traced the short location - it ended up not being caused by mice, but was a staple thru the wire going to the rearmost overhead light fixture in the slide. Guess that over time it finally wore the wire insulation enough to cause the short.

Also during this time my Norcold N811 refrigerator developed an ammonia leak, so I replaced it with a Everchill 12V 11 cubic ft fridge - the Everchill was a perfect fit for the cabinet opening.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Wow, nice find.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, driver, light, slide, slide out, wiring