Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Winslow versus Limited

I'm sure this has been discussed a great deal here but I'm relatively new to this site, so I'm asking. We have recently purchased a fully loaded Winslow 37RKM. Since it may be many years before we can fully move north (because of business & family in California), we thought the Winslow would work fine. Two of the main differences that I can see are the roof and the availability of automatic leveling. We won't have the Winslow in the snow all winter but we do like going north early and staying north late in the season, so we often see snow, both in Montana and Utah. Any thoughts or considerations I might have overlooked? Thanks in advance for your help.
kfdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfdray View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed a great deal here but I'm relatively new to this site, so I'm asking. We have recently purchased a fully loaded Winslow 37RKM. Since it may be many years before we can fully move north (because of business & family in California), we thought the Winslow would work fine. Two of the main differences that I can see are the roof and the availability of automatic leveling. We won't have the Winslow in the snow all winter but we do like going north early and staying north late in the season, so we often see snow, both in Montana and Utah. Any thoughts or considerations I might have overlooked? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Ray and welcome!

There are way too many things to list here on the differences. I would suggest to get the bulk of them, go to the Excel website and look at the charts that list the standard and option items then compare. The charts are on the product catalog page 23. You'll need to download the pdf catalog. Link to it here If you want to get more specific you'd best contact Excel.

If you thinking about the differences with insulation and chassis stucture, don't worry as they are the same. Most of the stuff is mainly stuff electric verses hydraulic slides, sinks, fixtures, awning and the list goes on. I hope that helps. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
JDT

I asked about the Winslow a few weeks ago when we were still deciding between it and a NuWa Hitchhiker. Got no responses so I assume there are not many Winslow owners on this forum. The Winslow won out anyway and we have a 34RKM on order.

You are right, the main differences are roof and some higher end amenities inside and probably out, and, of course, cost. Their brochure has a list of standard features for the Winslow and Limited if you want to compare. A little late for you since you have already bought, but we asked if they could put the auto level on our Winslow even though it is not listed as an option and they said yes. We also upgraded to the Limited kitchen faucet. That was one of the reasons we went with Peterson, they are so willing to work with you. That, and the fact we owned two of them before we lost our senses and did the motorhome thing for 9 years. The main thing for us though was the availability of a residential fridge like we had in our motorhome and really liked. It is not an advertised option and I only found out by asking. It will have its own dedicated 1000 watt inverter to run it while going down the road. That sealed the deal for us.

Good luck with yours, I'm sure you will enjoy it. We certainly did with our previous ones and can't wait till June to get the new one and start the adventure again. They are a great company to deal with, a rarity these days.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I asked about the Winslow a few weeks ago when we were still deciding between it and a NuWa Hitchhiker. Got no responses so I assume there are not many Winslow owners on this forum. The Winslow won out anyway and we have a 34RKM on order.

You are right, the main differences are roof and some higher end amenities inside and probably out, and, of course, cost. Their brochure has a list of standard features for the Winslow and Limited if you want to compare. A little late for you since you have already bought, but we asked if they could put the auto level on our Winslow even though it is not listed as an option and they said yes. We also upgraded to the Limited kitchen faucet. That was one of the reasons we went with Peterson, they are so willing to work with you. That, and the fact we owned two of them before we lost our senses and did the motorhome thing for 9 years. The main thing for us though was the availability of a residential fridge like we had in our motorhome and really liked. It is not an advertised option and I only found out by asking. It will have its own dedicated 1000 watt inverter to run it while going down the road. That sealed the deal for us.

Good luck with yours, I'm sure you will enjoy it. We certainly did with our previous ones and can't wait till June to get the new one and start the adventure again. They are a great company to deal with, a rarity these days.
Jim,
Its sure good to have you on board!!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Winslow

We recently purchased a Winslow 31 RLE but have not had a chance to take it out yet. We recently toured the plant where these are built and were very impressed with the workers and the pride they put into building these coaches.

Hitcher
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I have had a Winslow for about 2 years in Mammoth Lakes, CA - ski town at 8200 ft. elevation in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I got the Winslow with the thermal pane windows and winter package. It does just fine in the snow and at low temps. I have stayed in it at 10 deg. F. and felt very comfortable just using an electric heater. The trailer is well insulated and I have added some additional features for cold weather use. Contact me if you would like additional info on making more of a cold weather coach. I don't keep it here all winter because of the very heavy snow fall. My Winslow has had 1-2 feet of snow on the roof with absolutely no problems.

I think you will enjoy the Winslow in any cold weather. It is the best RV I have ever owned for cold weather camping and travel.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
BDunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDunlap View Post
I have had a Winslow for about 2 years in Mammoth Lakes, CA - ski town at 8200 ft. elevation in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I got the Winslow with the thermal pane windows and winter package. It does just fine in the snow and at low temps. I have stayed in it at 10 deg. F. and felt very comfortable just using an electric heater. The trailer is well insulated and I have added some additional features for cold weather use. Contact me if you would like additional info on making more of a cold weather coach. I don't keep it here all winter because of the very heavy snow fall. My Winslow has had 1-2 feet of snow on the roof with absolutely no problems.

I think you will enjoy the Winslow in any cold weather. It is the best RV I have ever owned for cold weather camping and travel.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Now-now Bill.......we know you're proud of your Winslow, but lets not encourage only using an electric heater in 10* weather. Need to use a little bit of furnace to protect the basement, tanks and utility center area! Let's keep it real!! rockin' be pickin' on you!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Now-now Bill.......we know you're proud of your Winslow, but lets not encourage only using an electric heater in 10* weather. Need to use a little bit of furnace to protect the basement, tanks and utility center area! Let's keep it real!! rockin' be pickin' on you!
Gez Tom what do you know about cold weather camping? You ain't nothing but a fair weather boy.

OPPS!!

I do second what Bill says. I use two electric heaters in the Wild Cargo. Run the furnance once in a while to warm up the basement. I can keep it a 70*.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Gez Tom what do you know about cold weather camping? You ain't nothing but a fair weather boy.

OPPS!!

I do second what Bill says. I use two electric heaters in the Wild Cargo. Run the furnance once in a while to warm up the basement. I can keep it a 70*.
I think that's what I be sayin'!!! We run our furnace cooler than that, but then again....we are retired now and on a "fixed income". I love finally old enough to say that!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Thank you all for your input. We pick ours up on Wednesday. First test - hot weather.
kfdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Well, up here in northern Canada we see a little cold weather. I am really happy with the heat pumps in both AC units and 1500 watt fireplace. They really help keep the unit warm with very little furnace use.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
rockintom,

One of the "additional features" I added for cold weather camping was a small rotating electric heater behind the sliding doors in the storage area. When the temps drop below 32 F., I turn the heater on and it keeps the tanks from freezing up. I use a Vornado heater in the living area. It is much quieter than running the furnace especially at night.

Give cold weather camping a try - you might like it!

Thanks for all your advice and input.

Bill
BDunlap is offline   Reply With Quote