Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Newmar Kountry Klub (NKK)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Quartzsite Gathering/How To?

Hi All:

Say...we're planning on spending winter in the Arizona area this year (11/10 through about 3/11) and have wanted to experience a stay at the big Quartzsite to-do! Having never stayed in Quartzsite, we don't begin to know how even to use the area, where to park, how to find where to park, etc. etc.

In exploring other iRV2 forum sites, Ronnie Bledsoe (sp?) suggested contacting the Newmar Kountry Klub (we ARE members) to find out where and how we might hook up with this group for a few weeks. Do they have a get together at Quartzite? Do they all park in some common area? If so, how does one go about signing up for parking w. them in Quartzsite?

Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
The NKK has a "Gathering In The Desert" at quartz site. The current issue of the Konnection magazine has information about this gathering. Also, you can call the NKK office and get the details. Jim Hagedon "Member At Large" has lead this in the past. Jim would also have information about the gathering.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, In case you didn't find the information in the Konnection, the "Gathering in the Desert" is scheduled for the 19th thru the 23rd of January 2011. It is pretty much held in the same spot each year I believe. That spot is the RoadRunner BLM area (short term free disperse camping area - no charge but 14 day stay limit) which is about 5 miles south of Quartzsite on the west side of the Highway, 2009 it was near GPS co-ordinates 33.58209N, 114.22076W. Actual spot will be determined by first arrivals and space availability. Last year was the first year I attended, I was also not familiar with the Quartzsite Area, but had no trouble finding the group, only had to turn around once, I turned a wash to late, saw the group as I was turning around, there were signs but I missed them, it was well marked. Not a sanctioned NKK event, against the BLM rules as I understand so it is just a get-togather. Has no structured event's, but seems there is a social gathering around 4 PM weather permiting around someones coach, then a gathering around a camp fire later in the evening for "war stories" and tales of the events of the day. Most everyone got togather one night to go out for dinner. Of course it is scheduled during the BIG RV Tent show in Quartzsite which runs from 22nd thru the 30th of January. Cell phone coverage was good in the area last year so if you have someones phone number that is attending, and already there, I am sure they could offer directions.

Although I got there a day late, it was an enjoyable time.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, we also went last year and stayed for the AZ Suncatchers Rally in the the same spot and had a great time. Great group of people. When you turn right onto La Paz Rd make a 2nd right to the NPS volunteers location, just some couple in their RV, but you will know right away who they are, for your free, but required 14 day permit and they should be able to tell you where the Newmar group is.
We will not be able to attend this year as the DW is having a total knee replacement.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Steve Pisker is right on. I have been going down Q for few years although staying with our Elks Club in fee area for a month closer to town and the Big Tent walking distance I have been to the Newmar encampment. There will be many signs for different groups at same entrance ,enter and look for the Newmar Rigs.The highway out of town is marked for Yuma. Dont know what area u will enter from but if arrive from north(Parker) as u enter Q on the left there a service station called The Pit Stop U can fill your water, dump tanks fuel both diesel and propane before u get to town If U need percise info pm me more than glad to help and see if we can touch base there this year The last time we chated u guys wre inquiring about SFO did u ever go there
Regardes Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hey ALL:

THANKS so much for the info you've provided re: the NKK "Gathering in the Desert." We're definitely going to look into this in more detail, and, hopefully might get a chance to experience Quartszite!! Thanks again.

Steve & Lynette
Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Having attended almost every NKK Quartzsite event since 2002, all of the comments previously posted provide a really good description of the event. A few additional items that may help:

Go south on US 95 out of QZ for 6.8 miles to LaPaz Valley Rd. The road widens at that point for a turn lane on to LaPaz. Turn right, there is no left! Then, take the second "road" on the right. This dirt trail will angle northwest back into the area we use. You will have to hunt around a bit. We've tried posting signs in the past. They don't always work!

Note that you cannot exit from I-10 directly on to 95. You need to exit at the first available exit for Quartzsite, whether Eastbound or Westbound. If westbound, you can turn left at the top of the ramp and miss the "downtown" traffic. There is no way to miss all of the traffic at this time of time of year in QZ!

Although QZ is much more laid back than in past years, we always have a lot of fun! The real old timers say that it is now very much like it was when the event started close to 20 years ago!
jhagedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jim & Sue:

Great directions. THANKS. I just posted a note & question to you under the "Anyone Attending Balloon Fiesta" thread, so when we meet ya in Albuquerque maybe we can talk about my Quartzsite questions. We're starting our migration South from here in COLD Deadwood tomarrow a.m. (Mon. 9/20).

OH,... I had to ask Dirk what NKK "MAL" was but now see it means Member At Large.

See you in Albuquerque!!

Steve & Lynette
Old 01-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Just went thru these posts. Is anyone headed in this direction? We are here in Q; would enjoy meeting with Irv2 Newmar members.
walkingplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I will be arriving at the "Gathering" spot the afternoon of the 18th for an extended stay in the area. Hope to see you.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote