Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I don't have access, nor wish to purchase RVIA codes. National and local (Ohio) electrical standards, National Fire codes, etc. all prohibit wiring connections in hidden spaces. Let's not quibble details, I'm sure that in the original build, the OP's RV was intended to be wired safely. He was desiring a wiring diagram, I was stating a few things that SHOULD be assumed.

If he checks and finds that the next outlet in the circuit shows the same neutral wire voltage drop and the breaker panel connections don't, it helps eliminate some possibilities. It's always difficult to track down wiring issues because wires aren't accessible for their whole run. By checking connections at the points he can access, it helps narrow down the problem. Hopefully he'll find a faulty connection at an outlet in the circuit. If he doesn't, then it's a much more difficult issue with a bad wire or insulation issue in a hidden spot.
Thanks Bob, I have now opened up every electrical box I can find in this circuit. now know exactly what plugs are on the GFI circuit, how they work and what plugs are not on the GFI.

The Microwave plug is not on the GFI. I can't seem to find where the MW circuit runs to. It is a single wire that runs back to something. It does not run to any visible box in the MH. I have opened up cabinets and cover trim and find the single wire runs behind the fridge and then down. From there I can't confirm what it does. The fridge is on a different circuit as is the water heater, furnace etc. So I have officially hit the HIDDEN SPOT. Based on how things are run there must be a spot were three wire runs meet and one of them is this circuit.

My worst nightmare............
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
You can buy or maybe borrow a Fluke signal generator that connects to the wires you have in the outlet box. This will generate an audible signal along the hidden wires. You can track the hidden wire back to where you lose the signal with the receiver portion of the probe.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
The signal generator would be a good idea. Do you have an inverter? If would have to be a pretty good size to handle the microwave, but it's the only possibility I can think if you don't find a breaker in the power panel for that circuit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Still looking, thanks for all the ideas. Have found two more outlets on the GFI Circuit so a total of 6 outlets on the GFI and 7 outlets on this circuit that are not GFI protected. All are feed from the breaker box with a 30amp breaker.The Microwave outlet is one of the seven and is a single line that feeds back behind the fridge. Appears to go down into the cargo area by the invertor an all the other wiring. There are so many wires in a tight area it is impossible to isolate what may be the MW line. Maybe the sounder will help, have a call out for help.

Is it possible that the wires for the 7 outlets would connect in a junction box in the cargo area?? Maye 2 - 3 feed lines??
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon, power