Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2023, 11:35 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark97213 View Post
Thank you so much, that's some helpful information. Finding parts for the Engine and Emission parts are easier to get through Napa or Amazon even but they don't list MH or much in the way of anything larger than an F350 in related to Ford anyway. I was able to pick up a few emission parts for the 460 through Napa using a 1995 year for a F-350, so far.

My MHG was built in 11/96 and the chassis was built in 7/96 with the vin A3130DCL0418.
Didn't notice till just now that we are neighbors. I am in Salem now. Born, raised & lived 1st 50 years in Portland. So, Hi.

You might check out RockAuto.com. A very good source for parts. Many brands, low prices and fast shipping. You will find F-53 there.

The VIN number you listed is not correct. Maybe a coach serial number? If your chassis build is 7/96 it is a 1996 F-53. VIN number is on title, registration and insurance cards as well as on the vehicle.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Didn't notice till just now that we are neighbors. I am in Salem now. Born, raised & lived 1st 50 years in Portland. So, Hi.

You might check out RockAuto.com. A very good source for parts. Many brands, low prices and fast shipping. You will find F-53 there.

The VIN number you listed is not correct. Maybe a coach serial number? If your chassis build is 7/96 it is a 1996 F-53. VIN number is on title, registration and insurance cards as well as on the vehicle.
Wow, we are neighbors... What a small world we live in!! Maybe I could hit you up time to time with questions? I'm very new to the MH world but am learning. Thanks for that tip to Rock Auto, good to know they list for the F53. I double checked that vin decal on the wall by the drive'rs seat, it list two Vin's. The first one listed is the Damon vehicle Vin but the second one that I gave, says it's the Ford "included" which I assumed was for the chassis. If this isn't correct, where would I find the chassis Vin?
Mark97213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Wow, we are neighbors... What a small world we live in!! Maybe I could hit you up time to time with questions? I'm very new to the MH world but am learning. Thanks for that tip to Rock Auto, good to know they list for the F53. I double checked that vin decal on the wall by the drive'rs seat, it list two Vin's. The first one listed is the Damon vehicle Vin but the second one that I gave, says it's the Ford "included" which I assumed was for the chassis. If this isn't correct, where would I find the chassis Vin?
Feel free to chat anytime. Besides paperwork I mentioned before, VIN is on the Vehicle Certification Label beside driver seat, on a State issued label beside the entry door on outer wall and visible thru windshield on dash in front of driver.

You know it's the VIN when the 5th, 6th and 7th digits are F53. The 10th digit is the chassis year. S = 1995, T = 1996 & V = 1997.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Feel free to chat anytime. Besides paperwork I mentioned before, VIN is on the Vehicle Certification Label beside driver seat, on a State issued label beside the entry door on outer wall and visible thru windshield on dash in front of driver.

You know it's the VIN when the 5th, 6th and 7th digits are F53. The 10th digit is the chassis year. S = 1995, T = 1996 & V = 1997.

Maybe we're speaking of two different things. The vin I've always known but someone asked for the Chassis vin which I thought was next to the vehicle vin. No?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230423_131954518[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	391106  
Old 04-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Maybe we're speaking of two different things. The vin I've always known but someone asked for the Chassis vin which I thought was next to the vehicle vin. No?
Damon was incorrect to add their number to the VIN line. Only the first 17 digits are the legal VIN. Your chassis is a 1997. Notice the "V" in the 10th digit. Damon's number only has meaning to them. They would have wanted it if ordering parts for the coach portion. No auto parts place will ever want that number.

To clear any confusion, any motor vehicle sold in the USA must have a VIN assigned by the chassis manufacturer. In your case, Ford. The coach builder adds the body and is allowed by law to assign a model year for sales purposes. Often Ford builds chassis on a production run. That means by the time a coach builder is done, the chassis might be 1 or even 2 years old. Sometimes it matters on parts if there was a production change. Bottom line, there is only one legal VIN.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Damon was incorrect to add their number to the VIN line. Only the first 17 digits are the legal VIN. Your chassis is a 1997. Notice the "V" in the 10th digit. Damon's number only has meaning to them. They would have wanted it if ordering parts for the coach portion. No auto parts place will ever want that number.

To clear any confusion, any motor vehicle sold in the USA must have a VIN assigned by the chassis manufacturer. In your case, Ford. The coach builder adds the body and is allowed by law to assign a model year for sales purposes. Often Ford builds chassis on a production run. That means by the time a coach builder is done, the chassis might be 1 or even 2 years old. Sometimes it matters on parts if there was a production change. Bottom line, there is only one legal VIN.
Ahh, thank you so much. I thought it strange to have two numbers in the Vin area. Anyway, thank you so much. It's so nice learning from knowledgeable people!!!
Old 04-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #21

Forgive me if I'm going off topic but most of my reason for this is to try and track down a problem with code 542 (Fuel Pump SECONDARY circuit fault). The motor runs fairly well but could improve a little. I wanted to try and find a schematic for the fuel pump circuitry and see if I can narrow down this fault. I disconnected the battery with hopes of clearing the ECM if the code was just a memory issue but it is still being seen by the ECM.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:07 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm going off topic but most of my reason for this is to try and track down a problem with code 542 (Fuel Pump SECONDARY circuit fault). The motor runs fairly well but could improve a little. I wanted to try and find a schematic for the fuel pump circuitry and see if I can narrow down this fault. I disconnected the battery with hopes of clearing the ECM if the code was just a memory issue but it is still being seen by the ECM.
The code 542 is a Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Failure. That means that the engine computer is seeing more resistance in the fuel pump circuit then it wants. This normally means a fuel pump and/or a fuel pump relay. First thing is to check the relay. Relay is in the Power Distribution Box out front behind the hatch. Black plastic box with it's name on the lid. Easiest way is to swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay and see if trouble goes away. Fuel pump relay is 2nd from the bottom, horn relay is 3rd from bottom. The one in picture is damaged (horn) and upper 2 sockets are vacant. Yours likely has 4 in use. If swap solves trouble code, get new fuel pump relay.

If no relay issues found, confirm power and ground at the fuel pump with a voltmeter checking for voltage drop or bad ground. If voltage and ground are good, it's time for a fuel pump (in the tank, not fun).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	391115   Click image for larger version

Name:	open box.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	391116  

Old 04-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #23

If memory serves (sometimes...), a 542 DTC is often set if you have an engine stall. Beyond that, I never ran into one of those that was actually useful for diagnostic purposes for an engine that ran. There is an input pin on the PCM that monitors the output of the fuel pump relay. The PCM commands the relay to supply power to the pump and then checks to see if the power is being passed by the relay (which is *supposed* to go to the pump. Back when I did a lot of OBD1 stuff, I usually told folks to just ignore it if the fuel pump was running properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-04-23 17_13_34-Service Information - Wiring Diagrams - F-250_350 and F-Super Duty.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	391117  
PS89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #24

[QUOTE=If no relay issues found, confirm power and ground at the fuel pump with a voltmeter checking for voltage drop or bad ground. If voltage and ground are good, it's time for a fuel pump (in the tank, not fun).[/QUOTE]

I'll check that and see what happens. Let's hope it is indeed the relay as it looks like I'll have to drop the tank otherwise which is the last thing I want to do. It sure would be nice if there was an owner or service manual for a MH. I had one sent to me from Thor Industries which really, is about as useless as... well you know. It really provides extreme3ly little information. There are a couple relay missing from the side relay box which I have no idea what they're for, but I imagine if they're active, someone pulled them for a failed component.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230423_152316575[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	391121  
Old 04-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks about right to me. On the right hand side, facing the box, remove the 2nd from the bottom relay and place aside. Remove the 3rd from the bottom relay and install in socket 2. Clear codes. Fire it up and run a while. See if code returns. Ford has a fair number of relays fail and the fuel pump relay is used a lot. Horn relay, not so much, it should be good.

If you need to check power & ground at the tank, hopefully you can get at the harness going to the fuel pump. It will have pump power, ground and 1 or 2 wires for the sending unit. Sorry I don't know wire colors. If it comes to dropping the tank, I have helpful hints.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:06 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV owners manuals from the coach builders a notoriously useless. Now the owners manuals from Ford are very useful. There is a small one like a typical car owner manual and a larger booklet version. Lots of specs, diagrams, capacities and lubricants info.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Looks about right to me. On the right hand side, facing the box, remove the 2nd from the bottom relay and place aside. Remove the 3rd from the bottom relay and install in socket 2. Clear codes. Fire it up and run a while. See if code returns. Ford has a fair number of relays fail and the fuel pump relay is used a lot. Horn relay, not so much, it should be good.

If you need to check power & ground at the tank, hopefully you can get at the harness going to the fuel pump. It will have pump power, ground and 1 or 2 wires for the sending unit. Sorry I don't know wire colors. If it comes to dropping the tank, I have helpful hints.
Excellent, thank you for all that. I'll tackle that tomorrow and let you know how it goes!!
Old 04-23-2023, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
RV owners manuals from the coach builders a notoriously useless. Now the owners manuals from Ford are very useful. There is a small one like a typical car owner manual and a larger booklet version. Lots of specs, diagrams, capacities and lubricants info.
Where might one obtain one from Ford for my chassis?

Tags
damon