Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

2 Damon components questions

I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany 4074, which I have had since June, and am still finding out about its various components. One that puzzles me is a toggle switch located behind and above the steering wheel just below the speedometer. The switch can be toggled to the right but snaps back to its original position. It is not labeled and I can't locate it in the manual. Does anyone know its function??
The other question is the radio which doesn't work unless the key is turned to on or the accessories position. I know what wires need to be changed (thanks to others on this forum) but I have found it nearly impossible to access the wires unless I remove the radio from the dash. The problem is how to remove it without damaging it or the dash. Anyone know the trick??
peliaspastia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peliaspastia View Post
I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany 4074, which I have had since June, and am still finding out about its various components. One that puzzles me is a toggle switch located behind and above the steering wheel just below the speedometer. The switch can be toggled to the right but snaps back to its original position. It is not labeled and I can't locate it in the manual. Does anyone know its function??
The other question is the radio which doesn't work unless the key is turned to on or the accessories position. I know what wires need to be changed (thanks to others on this forum) but I have found it nearly impossible to access the wires unless I remove the radio from the dash. The problem is how to remove it without damaging it or the dash. Anyone know the trick??
have no idea about the switch

however yes the radio should be wired to run with the coach OFF
so you can watch movies etc without the key on
the dash panel that holds the radio is held in with four velcro pieces, get a plastic knife to get under the wood grain panel and slowly pry it out, you will hear the velcro stuff letting loose, its not really velcro but looks like it
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #3

Which wires did you have to change?
Ron
Danorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #4

There are two wires that supply power to the radio. One of these is always connected to power and it keeps the radios settings (time, stations, etc). The other is connected to the ignition switch and supplies power to the Radio through the "on" button when the ignition is on. My plan is to connect the two wires so that both have continuous power.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you connect the two wires that way.. USE DIODES

Else you WILL start an electrical fire.. (Burn up the wires0 or blow fuses, or both.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danorske View Post
Which wires did you have to change?
Ron
hmm
that would require me to pull mine back out
I want to say its a pink one but i could be wrong
I do know there are two power wires, one is a keep alive and the other is LIVE for watching/listening without the key on or in access mode

if you do use the keep alive as both please do as suggested and put some diodes in to protect your wiring.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

confused

Please help clear the fog from my brain. As a former Cisco Systems Engineer and as a home owner who wired two houses, from the pole, there seems to be a hole in my electrical knowledge. That is--low voltage wiring. Somehow I see power coming directly from the battery through a wire directly into the radio. Then I see power coming again from the same battery through a switch in the ignition system and again into the radio. How does using the same wire as the source create a problem? BTW I do know what a diode does but I am not sure how it affects this.
Thanks for your patients with this.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Please help clear the fog from my brain. As a former Cisco Systems Engineer and as a home owner who wired two houses, from the pole, there seems to be a hole in my electrical knowledge. That is--low voltage wiring. Somehow I see power coming directly from the battery through a wire directly into the radio. Then I see power coming again from the same battery through a switch in the ignition system and again into the radio. How does using the same wire as the source create a problem? BTW I do know what a diode does but I am not sure how it affects this.
with the WEIRD crap that happened with my radio i dont put anything past

a little back feed, it may not be a high enough voltage and most certainly the thin wire would melt under any serious amp draw, but its certainly enough for FEEDBACK in the sound system

my system still gets weird feedback at the most odd times, or sequences if switching back from tv to tuner to dvd and aux
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

Would this require two diodes (one for each wire) or just one??
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The wires to the radio (Both of them) are intended to carry the power the radio needs..... NOT the entire power of the accessory system in the vhicle which can include air conditioner clutch power and blower power and several other devices

And for sure NOT the starting power of the coach main engine.

One of those wires goes, usualy via the ACC contact on the ignition switch, to the chassis battery

The other to the house battery

Imaging the chassis battery with a bad connection, so it's very high resistance (I don't have to imagine that, I do have to fix it from time to time)

now you turn the key to START and try to draw as much a 100 amps. or more. down the radio's wires from the house batteries.

See the problem?

Plus you would not be able to shut off any thing on the accessory line (less it popped a fuse)

Now using diodes.. current only flows one way (The arrow points to the radio by the way) so no current can flow BACK from the radio to the chassis systems.

Nor from the chassis system to the house.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #11

Thanks! The fog in my brain has cleared..........at least for now!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:51 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
peliaspastia
Just a wild guess about the switch by the speedo. It may have been added by the previous owner to flash the clearance lights to let a passing vehicle know they are clear to move right. I did that years ago on my MH only used two switches, one to flash them on for daytime and one to flash them off for night time use.
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks! The fog in my brain has cleared..........at least for now!
Glad I could clear that up.. I know several radio makers who are now fusing both the Positive wire and the Negative on the readios

The reason.. They are worried about a ground fault putting either starting or re-chargig current throught the RADIO on it's way to/from the battery (since many folks connect direct to the battery on these radios)

Of course on the dash radio.. Proper fusing will prevent a disaster.. but if he wires those two together w/o diodes.. Fuses will blow. and soon (not immed but I would not give them a year) if he properly fuses it.

IF he does not properly fuse it: Statistics time

IF he used Diodes properly.. Ignore all that.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
You are correct no harm you can connect both to the same source as long as you want it hot all the time, what I would reccomend is hooking the memory wire to the chassis battery and the power wire to the house batteries so as not to drag the chassis battery down if you forget and leave the radio on
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote