Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2001 Damon Daybreak 3070 Flooring Upgrade

We're starting a flooring upgrade in our 2001 Damon Daybreak 3070. The "Boss" says all the carpeting must go starting with the bathroom. So....
We have read through many of the threads on flooring upgrades and are thinking about using Allure, but there are many pros and cons about using it. Some say it's great, others that there are numerous buckling/shrinking problems. Some say floating is best others say glue it down.
Help!!!

I've started tearing out the bathroom rug, leaving in the vanity, cutting the rug along the base of it and cutting along the walls where the rug wraps down between the raised floor and the wall. The first problem is the rug attached to a piece of wood in front of the tub. How is this piece removed without damage to the tub or removing the vanity. Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to upload them..
Any Suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jack
Jackfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are the pictures of the Bathroom floor after removal of the rug. How can I remove the rug from the face of the tub without removing the vanity or damaging the tub? The rug is wrapped around a piece of plywood which is attached to the tub/wall somehow. This rug covered board covers the area below the finished side of the tub (finished tub side stops approx 4" below shower door) to the floor.

Suggestions on what I should use on the bathroom floor?

Thanks Jack

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	61953 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	61954
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

I'm watching JACKFR...I might want to do this also as steam cleaning the carpet didn't do much on our 15 year old 3270.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you thought of a "tub skirt'? You can see some info here. We plan to remove the carpeting also and I believe the skirt will finish it off better than carpet or linoleum.

I think we plan to find a small piece of linoleum or possibly even tile for the bathroom floor. I want something that is actually water resistant and I don't think Allure has that trait.
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A side note as far as carpet removal- You can get a sharp box-cutter knife or carpet knife and cut the carpet off if you do replace it with the skirt.
(My plan is to re-do all of the bath area including the accordion shower door. We will put one of the curved shower curtain rods instead and a tub surround that is "floor to ceiling" - at least that is my plan! )
Old 05-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally figured out how the piece of carpet on side of rug was attached. It is a piece of the chip board (same type that was also used for the flooring) and wrapped with carpet. It was attached to the side of the tub with three screws through the fiberglass and three screws angled into the flooring the heads were all hidden in the carpet. They must have installed it after the vanity was installed so we were able to remove it without disturbing the vanity. Not sure what we're going to replace it with yet but what ever it is it must help support the tub edge.
Thanks for the link Damon Diva but not sure what were going to use.
We did pickup some self stick Armstrong tiles last night at Home Depot for the floor and at an installer friends recommendation we also picked up some mastic to install them with.
Jack

Name:	Bathroom3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	62006
Old 05-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tiles were installed yesterday. With another trip to Home Depot for trim and stain last night, I hope to get trim behind toilet installed, the toilet reinstalled and maybe figure something out for the front of the tub today.

Name:	Bathroom4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	62058 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	62059 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom6.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	62060
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Damon Diva;2035123]A side note as far as carpet removal/QUOTE]

Damon Diva how did you get the carpet out from under dining area of the slide? I have read others recommending reaching from outside under the seal. This is fine for the area under the couch part of the slide but the dining area under the slide is another foot from the outside seal.

I was wondering if I remove the bottom through bolts and loosen the top through bolts on the end of the slide mechanism, move the slide in approx. 6" I would be able to jack the slide up maybe 3" to 4" to give me room to work?

After seeing how the bathroom is working out the "Boss" wants the old carpet gone! I will have help later today so I plan on starting to remove carpet also.

Anyone else have suggestions on getting the carpet out from under the slide?
Jack

Name:	Flooring1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	62061
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jackfr...my DH seemed to do that part whenever I was at work, otherwise I would have had photos.
We did cut the carpet as close to the edge as possible so that he was only trying to remove a small strip.
1.He removed the rubber seal on the bottom part of the slide.
2.He then used a jack and a board to jack the slide the 2" that it would lift.
3.He used a variety of tools to pry and pull the carpet strip out. Those tools included a wonder bar, channel locks and pliers to grip the carpet, box cutters and even a garden weed puller.

This part is very important. There are some screws at each corner of the opening that you will have to pry out. There had been some of the rubber seal that the screws were holding down, but those screws went through the carpet.
DH said that doing anything with our slide mechanism would not have helped him. ( maybe we have a different slide mechanism? ) The job was a PITA!,
Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally finished the bathroom yesterday. Used some 1x1 pine to frame it and a piece of 1x12 stained with Minwax Ipswich Pine and sealed with Satin urethane to cover the side of tub.

Name:	Bathroom7.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	62207 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom8.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	62208
Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info Damon Diva. Really looking forward to the fun of removing the rug next , probably later this week.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice work on your bathroom! I am a Damon Daybreak owner as well and this is a project I may be tackling one of these days. Please continue to post pics as you progress....
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carpet removal Update

Well it's been over a year since we finished the bathroom and I ran out of excuses and the "Boss" could not live with it any longer so....

The "Boss" and I started ripping out the carpet yesterday. It went fairly easy even under the slide. I moved the slide in about a foot then lifted it with a bar and blocked it while we removed the carpet. Just need to finish removing staples on the main floor now. The 3 pieces of wood flooring in front of sink were only nailed down and came up easy also. I plan on removing carpet from hallway today cutting along the walls while the boss continues with staple removal.

Couple of issues came up with sub floor. There are a number of 1/2" holes that that probably the manufacturer drilled through in the wrong places and never refilled, just put carpet over. The other is the floor seems to give a lot now when walking on it. Should I put down plywood underlayment before the finish floor?? Would that make it to high for the slide? Or just put the floor down over the existing subfloor. Were still not sure what to use for finish floor, but are leaning towards stick down tiles using mastic to put them down as they will be the easiest to replace if damaged. Anyone with any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-11-21 08.19.09.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	112462   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-21 08.21.15.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	112463  

Name:	2015-11-21 08.19.57.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	112464   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-21 08.20.14.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	112465  

Old 11-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jackfr...
We did have some bad chip board spots that we did cut out and replace with plywood. We then laid 1/4" plywood down over the top of all of the floor. DH actually glued this to the "existing floor" and then screwed it down every 8" where he had found a stud.
You can see some photos on our blog here.
(Take a look at "the Labels" list on the right side of the blog for misc. topics.)

I think I have explained what we did correctly- DH will have me "edit" in another post if I am wrong in my post here.
Keep us updated!

Tags
carpet, class a, damon, floor, flooring, upgrade