Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

2003 38' Intruder 373. A year in review..

I bought this coach in Oct 2014 with 14K miles on it. Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 Vortec. 5 speed Allison.
All in all, I couldn't be happier with this coach for the price I paid, which was $30K. Besides a couple of small stains on the ceiling, and having the windshield fixed to stop it from the common issue of popping out with this model, the coach was in like new condition. On this point, anyone looking at a similar coach should stand firm on not paying a whole lot more then this. It's just what this coach is valued at, and what it's worth. It in fact makes it a great value as far as I am concerned.
When I look at newer 40' DPs, I see little reason to invest near 3 times the money. Yes, a four slide would make that much more room, but the 373 does have three, so I cant complain about room for sure. To note, I full time in this coach alone. The layout is really nice, but the furniture is just too small. Not small enough that I feel the need that I must change it, but it's always a consideration. I'm 5'11", and somewhat on the slender side.

More to come. I am thinking I will categorize reviews, interior, chassis, electric, etc..

tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
I bought this coach in Oct 2014 with 14K miles on it. Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 Vortec. 5 speed Allison.
All in all, I couldn't be happier with this coach for the price I paid, which was $30K. Besides a couple of small stains on the ceiling, and having the windshield fixed to stop it from the common issue of popping out with this model, the coach was in like new condition. On this point, anyone looking at a similar coach should stand firm on not paying a whole lot more then this. It's just what this coach is valued at, and what it's worth. It in fact makes it a great value as far as I am concerned.
When I look at newer 40' DPs, I see little reason to invest near 3 times the money. Yes, a four slide would make that much more room, but the 373 does have three, so I cant complain about room for sure. To note, I full time in this coach alone. The layout is really nice, but the furniture is just too small. Not small enough that I feel the need that I must change it, but it's always a consideration. I'm 5'11", and somewhat on the slender side.

More to come. I am thinking I will categorize reviews, interior, chassis, electric, etc..
Click image for larger version

Name:	J Carter, MOW.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	117610

Tacking;

Enjoyed reading your uplifting post. It complemented my thoughts about our recently acquired motorhome.

My wife and I have been full timing since July, 2015 at which time I also retired. (only plan to full time until summer). We bought our 2004 Intruder 373 last May for $48T. We are now in South Carolina traveling the south/southeast states. I have performed quite a bit of maintenance to keep this MH going:

1. Engine overheated and broke down 100 miles from Las Vegas, NM last August. A diesel shop made repairs consisting of a busted hose to water pump and replaced faulty fan/clutch assembly.
2. Later, continued to have OH problems (lots of mountains) and coolant dissipation. New fan clutch helped a lot, but only kicks in when the engine RPM is about 3T, so idling in stalled traffic on hot August days would send the water temp into the red (and me into panic mode).
3. Near the end of our 5T mile maiden voyage, I had the radiator cap checked and purchased another, which initially seemed to solve my problem. However, eventually the old temp indicator red demon began to reappear.
4. On a short trip during the New Year, I just by happenchance discovered a leaking heater hose caused by it resting and vibrating on a radiator bolt. After replacing this hose, my coolant dissipation seems to have quit.
5. Nevertheless, my temp needle will tease me sometimes by inching its way up above normal when I first start up. I am going to flush out my system and install a new thermostat in the spring, when we are home again.

On our first trip out and seeing all the different newer big rigs at various CGs, we too, had visions of trading in this MH for one of those nice big DP, but practicality kept holding us back (besides the book trade-in that dealers use). I'm almost completely satisfied with this rig now, since I've worked most all the bugs out (the coolant system being the most troublesome and costly). I've owned nearly every type of RV out there and have always done all maintenance and upgrade work myself, other than the breakdown last August.

A few dislikes about this MH are:

1. Long overhang in back causes frequent drags on the hitch drop. I have installed a roller to help protect the towing apparatus.
2. Length of sofa is too short to stretch out on.
3. The gray tank is only about 40 gallons and needs emptying often.
4. I have a leaking exhaust gasket that is just loud enough to bother me while driving. This repair is just too expensive or beyond my capabilities to fix.

A few other maintenance needs are:

1. New shocks
2. A sway bar to dampen the excessive sway of the coach

I agree with you, that all things considered, this rig fits our needs as close as any for the foreseeable future. And at 65, that not too far down the road.
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Nice Intruder stories. Here's mine...

In Oct 2013, my wife and I purchased a 2004 Intruder 373 with about 22K miles on it for $35K. We upgraded from our 1989 Class C. It was a great deal for us and the price was right. We certainly wouldn't pay the price for a new rig and we spend a considerable amount of time looking for a gasser at about 32feet since it would mainly be the two of us. But the smaller ones used were twice the price of the 38ft rigs. Going that big had us considering a DP, but they were also more than twice the price with a ton of miles on them and a layout we didn't like. I think we saved a TON of money with this rig.

Somehow we kept coming back to the Intruder and that awesome rear bedroom. It was big and it was a workhorse chassis, but everywhere I read it said it was a great platform. They were right. They still are right.

We mainly use it for long weekend trips or trips to the desert towing a 4K lb trailer full of toys (atv, dirt bikes, etc...) and its been great. I have had ZERO issues with it. The gas mileage is decent for a rig its size (about 8-9mpg, sometimes more, sometimes less when towing) when I drive sensibly. Power is pretty good. It climbs very well (slowly but surely), descends with a fair amount of control and pulls the trailer just fine.

A rig that size certainly has a long overhang in the back. I call it a "fat ass". I could already see that the previous owner has stressed out the trailer hitch a bit and his trailer was half the weight of mine. I was also worried about the frame extensions sagging and ruining the rig, so I paid a shop to weld some braces and reinforcements to make the frame extensions much stronger. I also removed the bolt on hitch and had a custom hitch welded in place along with two large skid wheels. Its much stronger if you ask me and I feel more comfortable that the trailer won't yank the rear end down. I have no problems.

I also had to add a brake controller and a couple of additional batteries that I mounted in a side compartment. I can now dry camp for a couple of days and never have to worry about it.

When I bought it, I had the decals removed and painted on, so it looks really good from the outside. Inside is great. Layout is great. I wish it had flat screens, but that sounds like a project for the future I think.

I have only had three problems. 1) one of the hydraulic jacks doesn't always retract so easily. Its a pain at times. I need to figure out what to do about that. and 2) The cabinet hardware is plastic and the drawers in the kitchen area started sagging. So I had to get some small pieces of wood and reinforce the drawers using the crappy plastic drawer guides. But it works. and 3) a few of the locks and latches on the side compartments have need adjusting or replacement.

These are minor things.

No other real complaints. I've put about 6K miles on it since I've had it. That's not a lot, but I normally do local weekend trips, so its getting used, just not going too far. Everything works great. I thought I'd have this for 5 or 6 years and eventually get that DP, but I just see no need for more than this.

I'm glad others have the same experience that we had

mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
Nice Intruder stories. Here's mine...

In Oct 2013, my wife and I purchased a 2004 Intruder 373 with about 22K miles on it for $35K. We upgraded from our 1989 Class C. It was a great deal for us and the price was right. We certainly wouldn't pay the price for a new rig and we spend a considerable amount of time looking for a gasser at about 32feet since it would mainly be the two of us. But the smaller ones used were twice the price of the 38ft rigs. Going that big had us considering a DP, but they were also more than twice the price with a ton of miles on them and a layout we didn't like. I think we saved a TON of money with this rig.

Somehow we kept coming back to the Intruder and that awesome rear bedroom. It was big and it was a workhorse chassis, but everywhere I read it said it was a great platform. They were right. They still are right.

We mainly use it for long weekend trips or trips to the desert towing a 4K lb trailer full of toys (atv, dirt bikes, etc...) and its been great. I have had ZERO issues with it. The gas mileage is decent for a rig its size (about 8-9mpg, sometimes more, sometimes less when towing) when I drive sensibly. Power is pretty good. It climbs very well (slowly but surely), descends with a fair amount of control and pulls the trailer just fine.

A rig that size certainly has a long overhang in the back. I call it a "fat ass". I could already see that the previous owner has stressed out the trailer hitch a bit and his trailer was half the weight of mine. I was also worried about the frame extensions sagging and ruining the rig, so I paid a shop to weld some braces and reinforcements to make the frame extensions much stronger. I also removed the bolt on hitch and had a custom hitch welded in place along with two large skid wheels. Its much stronger if you ask me and I feel more comfortable that the trailer won't yank the rear end down. I have no problems.

I also had to add a brake controller and a couple of additional batteries that I mounted in a side compartment. I can now dry camp for a couple of days and never have to worry about it.

When I bought it, I had the decals removed and painted on, so it looks really good from the outside. Inside is great. Layout is great. I wish it had flat screens, but that sounds like a project for the future I think.

I have only had three problems. 1) one of the hydraulic jacks doesn't always retract so easily. Its a pain at times. I need to figure out what to do about that. and 2) The cabinet hardware is plastic and the drawers in the kitchen area started sagging. So I had to get some small pieces of wood and reinforce the drawers using the crappy plastic drawer guides. But it works. and 3) a few of the locks and latches on the side compartments have need adjusting or replacement.

These are minor things.

No other real complaints. I've put about 6K miles on it since I've had it. That's not a lot, but I normally do local weekend trips, so its getting used, just not going too far. Everything works great. I thought I'd have this for 5 or 6 years and eventually get that DP, but I just see no need for more than this.

I'm glad others have the same experience that we had

Very clean rig Maurice. I'm glad to hear from some Intruder owners, since I don't seem to see many on the road.

I too had to replace a couple of the flimsy plastic drawer slides and one, under the buffet, is still problematic. They were really difficult to align during install. The dealer where I purchased the new slides advised me to put at least one screw through the body of the slide (o/than the pre-drilled holes), as the holes are sometimes too weak to hold the drawers. We try not to overload the pantry drawers with heavier items.

Unlike your great looking MH, our rig has graphics issues. Several of the graphics are blistering and some might peel later. On the rear, water began seeping under the graphic located just under the rear window and caused a large blister. These cosmetic issues don't bother me too much anymore, but when I eventually sell the rig, another buyer might not be as unconcerned about this problem. Oh well, I'll just take the best offer.

Hey! Is that a Bichon? We have two of those 'Litl Travelers'. My wife thinks they're people
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
Hey! Is that a Bichon? We have two of those 'Litl Travelers'. My wife thinks they're people
Yes, its a bichon / shitzu combo. Good eye.

Very nice travelling companion. She goes where we go.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

Spending the winter in New England. With some insulating here and there, ...I'm pretty cozy.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

Wow! That looks cold! We left mid-January and we're now near Gainesville, FL, trying to escape the cooler weather in north Louisiana. However, it seems the night weather has followed us since we left.

I bet you're going through the propane! I saw on one post where a gentleman wraps his slideouts with insulation when necessary. Sounds like a good thing to keep in mind.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #8

-30 windchill. Still comfy cozy.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #9

On 10 of the 17 windows.

Entire bathroom wall

On all the ceiling vent fans (3)

...and all the AC vents. Intake and exhaust.

On the top of all 3 slides.

...and under the slides.

The skirt. I can run the motor and gen to warm up the basements and run heat if I need. Waste also.

Two remote 100lb tanks. The factory tank remains full as emergency backup.

Other things done, if interested.

Ugh... sorry, all sideways.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #10

That's quite a bit of insulation - and well done as well. I can understand now how you can withstand the cold and still have some propane left in the morning.

I sometimes feel some drafts around my slides on these cool southern nights, but not enough that a small room heater can't handle. However, your pics gave me some ideas regarding keeping the AC inside on hot summer days. Thanks for your generous reply.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #11

I also removed the sofa and the dining settee. Placed 1/2" double foiled foam board on the floor and walls where it would be hidden when I reinstalled the furniture. Cant see it at all. It should help in both summer and winter.

I have only used about 50 lbs of propane in the last 5 days which is pretty phenomenal due to those days being a high of maybe 20 degrees with a few sub zero days and nights. And, ... I keep it pretty warm in here.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Your brave. What we do need is a better insulation material and fewer holes in the sides and ceiling. We have put curtains in the front to add extra buffer from the windshield. Helps a little in cold are warm weather. In central coastal CA we are enjoying 60 - 70 degree days and 45 degree nights. Please keep your cold weather, you are braver than I.

Thanks for the insulation ideas!
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

Love the Intruder

I love hearing great stories about the Intruder, bought ours new in 2004 and just sold it after 82K miles and 38 states of travel. Although we did encounter a few of the problems that you all have mentioned (windshield, flimsy drawers, etc.) all minor repairs over the 11 years we owned it, only BIG issues were the graphics, which started to peel almost immediately after purchase, I eventfully had them taken off and painted back on, the other big issues was after our trip to Maine (I live in Southern California) we blew the engine! Luckily it was covered by my extended warranty. We towed a 2006 Saturn Ion and for the most part no troubles, however, it was a bear pulling ANY grade, the Ford V10 struggled most of the time on hills , and it was HOT and loud in the driver's/passenger area. But we raised four small kinds in that RV and WE all LOVED it! It took a beating from the kids and somehow withstood their reign.

We upgraded to a Tuscany 44MT DP, after 11 years I wanted to "treat" myself to some power. The decision wasn't easy, I have YET to find a motorhome (present one included) that offers the great floor plan as the Intruder 373, the AMAZING bedroom with the the two sofa chairs and the picture window was the perfect place for the wife and I to retreat leaving the kids up front, NOTHING better! After taking our new rig out a few times, we realized how much we miss our Intruder, although the new rig has all the new bells and whistles and fits our current needs, it still falls short when it comes to that back room. We love to camp at the beaches here in So. Cal, especially Emma Woods State Beach, while other MH had to pull in forward to appreciate the views, we'd be the only one backed it, enjoying champagne at sunset or sunrise in the comfort of our back living area...

Enjoy your Intruder, we sure did. And remember, the grass is NOT always greener...

Safe travels..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150324_162526.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	119630   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150627_202224 (1).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	119633  

Name:	20151222_160157.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	119634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moldiv_1450829242725.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	119635  

rtaylor909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor909 View Post
I love hearing great stories about the Intruder, ....

Enjoy your Intruder, we sure did. And remember, the grass is NOT always greener...

Safe travels..
Very nice review. Guess I have had all the issues mentioned. I do think though I lucked out with a few things. One, my 373 came full body paint from the factory. Two, I have the Workhorse chassis. 8.1 Vortec with 5 speed Allison. I have more times then not passed DPs and most all other gassers up hills.

I dream of a 40' plus DP. Not sure I will ever be able to spend the money though. I always am looking and though I come away liking that 4 slide roominess, I don't like it that much more over the 373 to spend the $$. Yes, the 373 master bedroom is sweet and I do the same thing with being very happy to back into the view.
That I full time in this coach and have been through the winter in complete comfort says a lot.
I would say the worst thing is that the sofa is just too small.

Lying in bed. (Panna with phone so things don't look so straight). Those wonderful back windows.

Backing in is just fine for the view.

The pillow view of above.

Factory full body paint still looks great after 15 years!